Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it legal to use your last Qi to discard a Ghost?

- the board implies you pay the Qi first (at which point you would be dead and perhaps unable to use the benefit of the Hut) yuk

- the help sheet implies you pay the Qi after discarding the Ghost (at which point you could use the Hut and then die) laugh

I prefer being able to self-sacrifice at the Sorceror's Hut. Sounds sound to me - thematic and heroic.

[EDIT: had I read the rule book more carefully prior to posting this question, I would have noted the following example on page 7:

"... Sam only has one Qi left, but in order to save the village, he decides to sacrifice his Taoist by requesting help from the sorcerer and send the ghost to hell."]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Is it legal to use your last Qi to discard a Ghost?

- the board implies you pay the Qi first (at which point you would be dead and perhaps unable to use the benefit of the Hut) yuk

- the help sheet implies you pay the Qi after discarding the Ghost (at which point you could use the Hut and then die) laugh

I prefer being able to self-sacrifice at the Sorceror's Hut. Sounds sound to me - thematic and heroic.

We've always allowed self-sacrificing. Has led to some dramatic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've allowed it as well. I always assumed that once the villager was activated, you should carry out all of its effects, even if one of those effects would disqualify you from activating it. That's usually how these things work. Similarly, if the curse die kills you when you exorcise a ghost or when you use the graveyard, that doesn't cancel the exorcism or graveyard use.

If you're going to die, this is definitely the way to go, since losing your last qi during your yin phase effectively costs you a turn, but spending your last qi on the Sorcerer hut means you're still getting your action for that turn. If you have an ally (preferably green) standing by to revive you immediately, you can pick up next round without losing any time at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:

Well, you pay the Qi to perform the action. Doesn't matter if you die on the spot, you already paid the sorcerer with your life essence and the sorcery contract must be fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the responses thus far. It's a sacrifice that lets you utilize the Witch's Hut.

On a similar note, Shadows Over Camelot had an interesting thing too where if a Knight (aka Monk) sacrifices his last life point during the Progression Of Evil (aka Yin phase), he's dead and his turn ends. If he sacrifices his last life point during the Heroic Action (aka Yang phase), the knight dies, but lives long enough to get done what he wanted to that turn

E.g. draws a black card during the "yin phase", for "yang phase", moves to a Quest (aka.. i suppose a spot on the board where he can excorcise a ghost/fight), sacrifices his last life point * so he can do a different heroic action.. let's say play a card from his hand to achieve progress, etc.

Logically, he should be dead at the '*' point, but he gets to play the card before dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think of it this way:

Taoist: "Hey, sorcerer: there's this really nasty ghost on the other side of the village that's giving us trouble. Can you do some of your Hocus-Pocus and cast it back to the netherworld?"

Sorcerer: "I can, but I must use your Qi to perform the ritual."

Taoist: "Agreed. Thank you."

[Sorcerer starts chanting and waving his arms around]

Sorcerer: "It is done — uh … HEY, HARRY! WE'VE GOT ANOTHER STIFF!"

[Harry carries the taoist out to the graveyard.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.