Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I haven't played a lot of games lately that require a joystick, but my current model is an old Microsoft Sidewinder that I bought back in 1995 or so. I doubt that it would even work in Windows 7 or if I even have a port to plug it into.

I am asking the learned denizens of CC to recommend a new joystick for my PC that operates under Windows 7 and is "full featured". What's the hotness in PC joysticks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been so long since I've had sex that I think my joystick has fallen off.

Oh wait, you said games, didn't you? Nevermind. blush

P.S. I like to think that it's "full featured"…

P.P.S. I think Thrustmaster is still in business.

P.P.P.S. That last "Thrustmaster" thing isn't a joke. Honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Your old joystick might still be usable if it has a USB interface.

Like Chanfan said thrustmaster makes some good joysticks, but if you're just looking for something cheap that is functional in the modern era you could go with a Logitech stick. We use these at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What game ARE you trying to play?

If it's anything that was ported over from a console - action or sports games, most racing games anymore, etc - then your best bet is probably an Xbox360 controller. Not the 'wireless' ones, but the 'wired' Xbox360 controllers plug into a PC and just work out of the box (Windows 7 knows what to do with them natively).

For flight sims - something like the Saitek Aviator will get you 80% of the way there. For some more serious sims such as the DCS series, you'll want to go something with a bit more features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Didn't expect this. New Joystick???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, what games do you have your eye on that need a joystick to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Saitek equipment. I had one for a long time, and it was really nice. It outlasted my PC gaming days. I liked the software configurable controls, and that you could upload different profiles to it based on the game you were playing. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what games do you have your eye on that need a joystick to play?

First, thanks for the recommendations so far.

I have been trying to muddle my way through the new Wing Commander Saga using the keyboard and I can't even get out of the training missions because the sim really needs a joystick. Also, I have thrown in to the Kickstarter campaign for Starlight Inception (a space fighter sim) and I want to be ready when it is released. I want a stick that can handle some abuse and has enough buttons that can be slaved to in-game options without being overwhelming.

BTW, I would recommend WC Saga for any of you that remember how much fun the old Wing Commander games were. It is based on the engine for Freespace 2 and is available for FREE download. Although there is nobody from Origins or EA involved with it, they also have not shut it down since the released back a few months ago and the developers are still devoted to its success, having released a patch recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

First, thanks for the recommendations so far.

I have been trying to muddle my way through the new Wing Commander Saga using the keyboard and I can't even get out of the training missions because the sim really needs a joystick. Also, I have thrown in to the Kickstarter campaign for Starlight Inception (a space fighter sim) and I want to be ready when it is released. I want a stick that can handle some abuse and has enough buttons that can be slaved to in-game options without being overwhelming.

BTW, I would recommend WC Saga for any of you that remember how much fun the old Wing Commander games were. It is based on the engine for Freespace 2 and is available for FREE download. Although there is nobody from Origins or EA involved with it, they also have not shut it down since the released back a few months ago and the developers are still devoted to its success, having released a patch recently.
Thanks for that! I've been meaning to look into currently available space sims. Looks like I have some downloading to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's just great... see what you did???

Now we ALL need new joysticks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, looks like I missed the kickstarter.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a Speedlink Black Widow for use with Flight Simulator X, which I have been happy with so far.

Link:
http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=313&pid=1533&paus=1

It was fairly cheap, but still feels sturdy and of good build quality. I also like that the rudder controls are separate 'buttons' on the throttle control, rather than twisting the main stick (which has never felt natural to me).

The only potential downside so far is that it's supposed to support 'vibration' (which I guess is a simpler version of force feedback), but this does not work for me. It might be that it's not supported by FSX though (haven't tried it with anything else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:

soblue

Fear not, for you can still reserve your pre-order copy from the fine folks at Escape Hatch Entertainment. Since the project has been funded successfully, they are offering the game to the general public with the same pricing structure that the KS backers received (including access to the beta).

Link: http://www.eschatch.com/merchandise/merchandise.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

soblue

Fear not, for you can still reserve your pre-order copy from the fine folks at Escape Hatch Entertainment. Since the project has been funded successfully, they are offering the game to the general public with the same pricing structure that the KS backers received (including access to the beta).

Link: http://www.eschatch.com/merchandise/merchandise.html

*happy dance*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.