7 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Possibly stupid question re expanding and attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I expand , then attack, then expand, etc?

Say I have 15 troops in one territory. Can I expand with 14 into an adjacent territory, then expand with 13 into the next adjacent territory, then attack with 3, and if I win, move 12 into the newly conquered territory, and then exopand beyond into an adjacent empty territory with 11, etc.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Our first game yesterday, I think we were playing that troops could only move one territory in total for a few turns, and we were also subdividing Expand and Attack into two mini-phases, so nobody was expanding after conquering, for example.

Risk is bonkers. I guess a basic strategy is to build up a huge army and then charge across the world towards an enemy HQ?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read the rules, when you expand, you can take all your troops (no need to leave one behind like you must when attacking). So when expanding you don't have to leave 1 troop in all the previous places you've expanded through.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I certainly see where you could make that interpretation from the rulebook, but I assure you that is NOT the intent. If that were the intent you could 'teleport' your whole (less one troop) army right to any virtually any location on the map on your first turn, largely negating any benefit of people choosing to distance themselves from other starting locations.

The text that reads "No territory can ever be left abandoned", that is mentioned in the text about resolving at attack, is a general rule. Once you move troops into a territory you cannot wilfully abandon it.

Rob (the designer) does specifically answer this question early in the nonspoiler FAQ thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7922996#7922996

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I certainly see where you could make that interpretation from the rulebook, but I assure you that is NOT the intent. If that were the intent you could 'teleport' your whole (less one troop) army right to any virtually any location on the map on your first turn, largely negating any benefit of people choosing to distance themselves from other starting locations.

The text that reads "No territory can ever be left abandoned", that is mentioned in the text about resolving at attack, is a general rule. Once you move troops into a territory you cannot wilfully abandon it.

Rob (the designer) does specifically answer this question early in the nonspoiler FAQ thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7922996#7922996

Thanks much for the link!

As for wilfully abandon, what about during the manuever step? Can you abandon then?
Edit: Nm, I took another look at manual and it says must leave 1 troop in origin territory in maneuver step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting facet of the game, I think. I played standard risk a few times 20-odd years ago, but my memory of that time is a bit, er, hazy , so Risk Legacy is basically new to me. I gather that the core mechanics are the same, though.

The 'always leave a man behind!' rule (I wonder how that sits with Army Rangers playing it) certainly limits expansion. I'm looking forward immensely to our second game; i thi k I'll be able to actually play a bit more tactically.

I think Risk is a bit like chess or Space Hulk; just a few simple rules but those rules make for a world of opportunites within a game.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.