Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about building my copy of InterSpace, now that something started happening in my town. The thing is I don't really like the way the cards look, so I thought about redesigning them. I've just made home worlds for now, and back of planet cards (they are in the gallery)
What do you guys think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

This is an excellent game, the more attention it gets the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! Sadly, the guy who came up with InterSpace has no graphics art skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither do I. I will have to compile a long list of websites I have the images from (including NASA). Hope to be able to give it some more time soon, but first have to finish up a translation for one older game I was allowed to put on geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need planets and/or other space things, i'd suggest to install Celestia and some of its fictional addons (solar systems, nebulaes, black holes, etc). Then you can take all the screenshots you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks a lot. Didn't know about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I've been sitting around doing nothing particularly productive and decided to try and design some card backs.
These are - breakthrough, colonization, encounter and planet cards.

I still haven't got a clue how to do alien objective, and although I really like my "planet card" back it doesn't really fit with the rest of the cards
Any suggestions welcome.
[edit]
I'm also thinking about chucking the planet out, like here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
... some card backs ... Any suggestions welcome.

They look great! But...

I think they ought to also have to words "breakthrough", "colonization", etc on the back (could be fairly small), for those of us who really can't remember what all the cool graphics are supposed to represent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.
Some suggestions, from someone not able to draw almost anything:
- if you go with the metal plate look, i'd emboss a bit the graphics on it, and keep the symbol color a bit less "strong"
- not sure to like that big black border.... but i can't think at how to make it better.
- i'd choose a design that's symmetrical, so you don't have to rotate the cards when you mix them (i mean, you will not care if the cards are upside-down 'cause the back looks the same).

Just trying to be helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments. Card type will be put on twice (top left and bottom right) in the same colour as the "design".
I'm not that great with software so embossing is not an option - just not to make it look ridiculous. I wanted it to look like the "design" was projected on the cards, that's why it's like that. Don't think it will transfer great on the paper though :/
The black border would help with cutting I believe. Anyway, aren't we all at least a bit used to borders on cards?
With the symmetrical design... the only thing in the way is the game name in the middle, and I'm not really sure I want to put it on twice and I definitely don't want to remove it.
Cyan on the planet card is just a "place holder". Have to think of some better colour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
... symmetrical design... the only thing in the way is the game name in the middle, and I'm not really sure I want to put it on twice and I definitely don't want to remove it ...

Sounds like a good place to use an ambigram!

(which are cool from a math-geek point of view, but require a lot of effort to design, and are often not that easy to read, so I'm just kinda being a smart-ass to suggest it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be lovely, but someone might say "well, all the symbols are symetrical, but the planet isn't".
and I really love the font I used for the title

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today before work I had a few minutes to come up with initial look of the cards. Generally the cards would have the same layout, but different "background" depending on card type. Also in the circle in top left there would be "class" symbol (breakthrough, alien, etc.)

I'm also thinking about doing the text the colour of the symbols on the back, but have to think about it really hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the first card with completely new artwork.
I have found it on deviantart, and used due to author's kindness. I've got some more of his artwork ready to use.
Here's a link to his profile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson78
msg tools
mb
It is great work. Maybe a little less violent color in background will be better.
Text font is not good. I have problem with reading it.
You are doing awesome redesign for nice game. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Any ETA when this new redesign will be ready?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I can't give any ETA's as finding people who would let me use their artwork is pretty hard. Still have to change some details (like the font, some coulours), so have to test it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, due to problems finding graphics, and due to [geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93732/interspace-cards-redesigned]Viktor's redesign[/geekurl] beeing far superior to my, I have to say I don't see the need for my work with this game anymore. Download Viktor's redesign (some great hexes too) and thumb his work/geekgold him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.