Subject: The Small World of DnD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I've always liked Small World's simple way of creating different races every game. Kind of like how diablo creates items. Sometimes you get very interesting or overpowered combinations and I look forward to seeing the line up whenever I play the game, trying to put a value on each combination.

I also want, like many others, to have a sense of exploration with DnD boardgames. There are a lot of custom encounter/environment/chamber cards that have been created. Those are fine but to me they feel scripted- after a few plays, you draw a card and go "OK this is the one where we..."

SO I am wondering if there are ways to create unique rooms/monsters/encounters/etc using the method from small world. It would create interesting situations that you can't predict when starting the game. It may even create situations that are too tough for the heroes, adding another important decision to the game- do we want to go into this room and deal with this, or do we want to move away quietly?

I don't have a starting point for this though so I thought of tapping into the collective mind here again.

By the way I did finish my artifacts in the other thread. Check there to see some results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

that's exactly the reason why I use Room/Corridor Content cards. They create - for each tile placed - a unique unpredictable set-up. The results range from "empty" to challenging combinations of adversaries, trap, etc. They even add "floor" conditions, e.g. water, mud, pits, rubble, etc.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea.

I would likely use decks of cards for the Monsters. Two Decks, just like Small World, One deck for traits/abilities/etc, the other deck for type.

One deck has wolves, goblins, Orcs, etc. which would have basic characteristics of the type of monster.

One deck for Monster Level, and different traits.

Would you want to encounter a Goblin level 12 that breaths fire?

Very cool idea.

This would diminish the specific traits that make a Wolf a Wolf though, because now you are mixing the Wolf chasis with a Dragon's breath.

Maybe stop at Level and Initiative.

Draw a Wolf Card, and the second card has the level, and lets you know if it attacks in a pack with others and who gets the initiative.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you've got an inkling of the idea going already. I'm not familiar with Small World. Is it possible their idea might work for you? Another possibility is the model used in Diablo with adjectives and origins:

GLIMMERING cutlass OF THE LION
VENOMOUS short bow OF THE ANGELS

This idea was used to funny effect in NCSoft's "Dungeon Runners" where players could find things like Rambunctious Cardboard Axe of the Ghetto.

So a similar system for Drizzt could have adjectives that add existing game effects as monster abilities (poisonous, immobilized), new abilities (toughness +1 HP, stony +2 AC etc), possibly defects (weak -1 Attack, young -2 AC). A good starting point would be to take the NinjaDorg adventure decks, list out all the effects used, and then start assigning adjectives to describe them. If you go positive and negative you can double the effects (eg - if there's only positive attack values of +2 make a negative one of -2).

This is a very interesting variant so please post some rules when you get it up and running. Sharing benefits everyone in the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the complaint about the room cards being scripted, please remember that the community is designing cards specific to each room tile with a reasonable sense of theme because that's what people asked for. A game like a "A Touch of Evil" has 4 board corners so it's easier to design 30 cards for each location (4 x 30 = 120 cards).

I've been averaging around 7 cards for each space and the board games have roughly 11 named tiles each. That's 77 cards for every D&D board game plus a 30 card campaign event deck. Somebody else has to rummage up artwork on the Internet, do the layout in PhotoShop and make it available for printing and download. That's pretty impressive considering all the free labor being donated to the project and Wizards of the Coast not shutting the whole thing down.

I wish there were more cards but there's only so much I can do by myself. BTW I wish Diablo had more than a dozen or so randomized quests. They kind of repeat after the second or third play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is need to concern about WOTC shutting the thing down, to me this is clearly what they intended, for gamers to create content.
And it has been very impressive. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.