Thomas Rushing
msg tools
designer
Would love to learn of companies creating games for tablets and smart phones.

Who can do it?
What do they charge?
Does anyone partner for things like this?
How long does it take?
Etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want to sell it, use ads or just reach out to as many as possible, does mouse and/or keyboard control interest you to?

I'm asking the later because you may miss a huge audience by say only focusing on touch screen interface on iPhone and iPad and then missing say Facebook or maybe just run your own page and/or all other gadgets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best place to ask this would be Computer-Based Board Gaming; lots of the people who post there are up-to-date with this kind of info.. but I'll tell you what little I know.

The one company that's released the most as far as I can tell is Sage Board Games; they've done Medici, Ra, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, Tikal, and recently Le Havre.

The Carcassonne App is a really good, it was made by TheCodingMonkeys.

The costs for these apps depend on many things and so varies wildly, but the average is around 7-8$.

How long does it take? Depends how nice you want the end result to be, of course. I've never done it, but I have the ability. I'd say an experienced programmer doing nothing but that 40 hrs/wk would take at least a month to get the basic game done and another month to get it all polished, fully tested, with networking and AI and all that. If you're working on only 10-15 hours per week, multiply by 3-4.

Edit: The companies need to get licenses from the designers/publishers and maybe even artists of a game. Maybe those publishers/designers get royalties, I don't know.. but there is some level of "partnership" there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what salary would someone who can do it in two month want per hour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Josef
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
When I do consulting development (which I do for the web, not for mobile apps, but), I charge $150/hr. I don't know if that's typical or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rushing
msg tools
designer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think from what I have found over the last few months is the best way to get someone on board is to have actually published your game and to have a small following for it. If you can accomplish this it would appear most people would be much more interested in developing a digital product than for someone just getting started with nothing published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomarush wrote:
Would love to learn of companies creating games for tablets and smart phones.

Who can do it?
What do they charge?
Does anyone partner for things like this?
How long does it take?
Etc...

Tivket to Ride for the iPad cost $100,000 to develop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outsource to India. There are companies there that can develop an entire complex game for 10-20 bucks per programming hour. A boardgame app is on the lower end of game programming complexity. Create a design document and find a good company to do it. There are many game apps that have been developed this way for a price tag much lower than you might think. Not easy but possible to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.