Popular Tags: 4 [+] Feonix [+] Scen [+] [View All]
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well guys, it's been quite a while, but finally, it's time for me to present to the BGG community my fourth and most ambitious custom scenario. Once again, special thanks to GeckoTH for making the templates needed for this scenario to happen.

Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd also like to shout out to thimblyjoe for help playtesting this scenario.

Daniel Otto
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

"When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin's Folk. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor." - Gandalf

One of the coolest and least known stories during the Third Age is the story of the Battle of Dale. While the Fellowship was in the south doing their thing, Sauron sent a host of Easterlings from Rhun into the north, to split the realm of men and prevent the northerners from coming to Gondor and Rohan's aid. It all started with raids on settlements along the River Carnen, eventually ending with the destruction of Dale and a final stand in Erebor, where the Easterlings were driven back only by the ring's destruction.

While the Battle of Dale happens fairly late in the story of the Lord of the Rings, I thought it would be interesting to create a series of scenarios to portray this historic war. So, gather your fellowship and prepare for...

Feonix's the Battle of Dale, part one:
Raid on the River Carnen

Once again, I tried my best to find the artists or sources for all of the images I used; if you know an artist I failed to compensate, please let me know so that I can give credit where credit is due. None of the images used are my own, and I claim no right to any of them. I am deeply grateful to all artists involved and if any of them wish for their art to be removed from the cards, I will immediately.

The Battle of Dale is a three-part cycle of scenarios, starting with Raid on the River Carnen, continuing in part two with The Fall of Dale, and ending with The Siege of Erebor. These scenarios use no cards produced by FFG. There are three encounter sets used in this scenario - Raid on the River Carnen (cards with the house + river symbol), Easterling Raiders (cards with the skull and crossed swords symbol), and Rhovanion Wilderland (cards with the mountain symbol). All three of these encounter sets are included in the download. The Easterling Raider and Rhovanion Wilderland sets will be seen again in parts two and three of The Battle of Dale, so future downloads will not include them.

Raid on the River Carnen Imgur Album

This scenario also introduces a new keyword found on Objectives throughout the Battle of Dale - Raided. An Objective with the Raided keyword functions similarly to Guarded objectives, except that only enemies may Raid objectives. Objectives that are Raided by enemies will be attacked by those enemies every turn, and can be killed and lost forever, so act quickly to rescue them before they are destroyed!

The Easterlings' bloodlust is not so easy to quench, however. Many raiders become more powerful while they are Raiding an Objective, and there are many other encounter cards that put these innocent villagers in danger.

There are many other dangers in the north, as well. As you progress from village to village along the river, you'll have to trek through forest and hill, dealing with Easterling ambushers along the way.

It won't be an easy mission. As you progress through the quest, forces will align and enemies will become stronger, pouring forth from the river to massacre everyone they see.

I've included PDFs of the copies of each card you'll need for this scenario. I'm not very good at making high-quality PDFs, so if you'd like to make your own, I've also included in this post images of every card, which you can download for yourself. Below is a decklist of the number of each card you'd need if you wished to print them out separately. If you want to make backs for these cards, I've included the images just below.

As per usual, I've also included a new hero of my own design. Since FFG has done a great job of including many heroes from the books, I decided to simply make a hero up this time instead of drawing from the books for inspiration. Introducing Aeganthir, a warrior of Gondor. Aeganthir is a peerless Captain of Gondor, a defender of Minas Tirith and protector of the weak. His ability to defend against attacks is rivaled by few others. He acts as the defense counterpart to Brand, son of Bain - his Sentinel ability not only allows him to defend for other players, but his special Response grants that player a card whenever he does so. This makes him an invaluable asset in larger multiplayer games.

A quick note about balance: While any custom scenario is, by its very nature, balanced by being self-contained, a Hero is not. That is, a custom scenario can't truly be "too" tough or "too" easy; that is just the inherent difficulty of the scenario. A Hero that can be used in any scenario, however, has the potential to unbalance the game. Keep this in mind when using custom heroes; you can entirely ignore their presence if you want.

Please give me any questions or comments you have. As with my previous quests I will immediately fix any problems with the cards if they aren't easily errata'd right here. I have playtested the quest quite a few times, but I don't exactly have a team of playtesters like FFG does. If you feel up to it, please post any session reports you have from this scenario! It would help me greatly, and I'd be indebted to you.

Encounter Decklist:
One of each Quest card
Frightened Villagers x4
Dale Militia x4
Town Hall x1
Kill Them All! x3
River Settlement x2
Merciless Executioner x2
From the Shadows x2
Riverside Docks x2
Wetland Hideout x2
Eastern Cataphract x2
Mirkwood's Edge x2
Redwater Banks x2
River Flood x2
Wilds of Rhovanion x1
A Storm in the South x3
Wilderland Hills x2
Devastating Blitz x1
Easterling Raider x3
Stolen Ammunition x2
Raid Party Captain x2
Mistress of the Blade x2
Skirmisher-Corsair x2

FAQ / Errata:
Stage 1A of the quest should read: "Search the encounter deck for Town Hall and add it to the staging area, then shuffle the encounter deck. Reveal cards from the encounter deck until there are a number of enemies Raiding Town Hall equal to the number of players, ignoring all effects of all other cards dealt. Then, shuffle all objectives, locations and treachery cards revealed back into the deck."

Add the following text to the rules for Raided: "While revealing cards from the encounter deck, ignore all When Revealed effects found on non-enemy cards you reveal."

What does the word "Rescue" mean?
Rescue is meant as a replacement for the word "claim" on Guarded objectives. When you rescue an objective, you claim it for yourself, taking it as an ally in the same way you would "claim" an ally objective.

How exactly does "Raided" work?
Take a look at the Quest Sheet above for the full rules on how Raided works. If you have any specific questions which are not answered by the Quest Sheet, ask away below and I'll do my best to answer!

Which encounter set is which?
I messed up the order of the encounter sets and icons on the Quest Sheet. Raid on the River Carnen is the encounter set with the house and river symbol. Easterling Raiders is the encounter set with the skull and crossed swords symbol. Rhovanion Wilderland is the encounter set with the mountain symbol.

If I use Forest Snare on an enemy raiding an Objective, does the Objective still take damage during the Refresh phase?
No. This still counts as an "attack", so cards that prevent enemies from attacking, such as Feint and Forest Snare, will prevent them from striking Objectives as well.

If an Easterling Raider with exactly 3-4 damage tokens kills an Objective and then moves to Raid a different Objective, does it die during the interim?
No. This is intended to happen immediately, so it will continue to have 5 hit points throughout the process. If, however, kills an Objective and then does not move to Raid another Objective, it will die.

If Eastern Cataphract is already raiding a villager and its Forced effect triggers, does that mean it is now raiding two things?
Yes. if Eastern Cataphract is already raiding a villager and its Forced effect triggers, both villagers as well as the Eastern Cataphract will return to the staging area, and the Eastern Cataphract will be considered Raiding both of them.

Can a single enemy raid more than one Objective at the same time?
Yes. Certain card effects will cause Objectives to move around, and can cause more than one Objective to be raided by a single enemy or group of enemies. If this occurs, the enemy will deal damage to each Objective separately (as if it were performing two separate attacks).

This FAQ / Errata will be updated as users ask questions in this thread. Ask away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks incredible.

I'm very excited to see how this plays out! You've really gone the extra mile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there gonna be an Arts Cow deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:

I definitely think I'll be putting together an Artscow deck. I'm not sure whether I'm going to do it now or wait for Parts Two and Three and then see if I can condense them into just 2 artscow decks (to save money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
PasiMax wrote:

I definitely think I'll be putting together an Artscow deck. I'm not sure whether I'm going to do it now or wait for Parts Two and Three and then see if I can condense them into just 2 artscow decks (to save money).

Let me know once you did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for artscow as well. As soon as it's available, let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there are 51 cards in this scenario, so waiting will hardly help .

Here's the artscow:

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/feonixrocks-arj14rdg4xbb

I filled in the last spaces with heroes from Feonix's earlier posts.

This thread has most of the other fan mades:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/780383/fan-made-quests-from-...

Enjoy.

Thanks Feonix, great work. I look forward to playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
Looks like there are 51 cards in this scenario, so waiting will hardly help .

Here's the artscow:

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/feonixrocks-arj14rdg4xbb

I filled in the last spaces with heroes from Feonix's earlier posts.

This thread has most of the other fan mades:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/780383/fan-made-quests-from-...

Enjoy.

Thanks Feonix, great work. I look forward to playing this.

Wow, thanks! This looks perfect. Anybody who orders this off of artscow gets a Geekgold tip. =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:

Wow, thanks! This looks perfect. Anybody who orders this off of artscow gets a Geekgold tip. =D

Does that include me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
Feonix wrote:

Does that include me?

Of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
camipco wrote:
Feonix wrote:

Does that include me? ;)

Of course :p

ordered and looking forward to getting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello!

I am a Spanish homebrew designer of cards from Lord of the Rings LCG ..

I would like to translate your letters into Spanish, my question is if you give me your permission, and if possible, if you could spend the basis of the cards to change the text with photoshop or program you use.

Then publish the results on my blog:

http://kendersyhobbits.blogspot.com.es/

Thank you very much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filgonfin wrote:
Hello!

I am a Spanish homebrew designer of cards from Lord of the Rings LCG ..

I would like to translate your letters into Spanish, my question is if you give me your permission, and if possible, if you could spend the basis of the cards to change the text with photoshop or program you use.

Then publish the results on my blog:

http://kendersyhobbits.blogspot.com.es/

Thank you very much in advance!

Of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks you very much!!

My mail is filgonfin @gmail.com

A great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is awesome.
Seriously, I shall now come to your quests to gather ideas.

Congrats man, you should be working for FFG.

On another note: Where do you find all those cool images? I spend more time looking for images than designing quest cards.
If you please, could send me a PM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I've ordered as well, good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has someone posted a quick review of these fanmade quests, and if not could someone, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeirooo wrote:
Wow! This is awesome.
Seriously, I shall now come to your quests to gather ideas.

Congrats man, you should be working for FFG.

On another note: Where do you find all those cool images? I spend more time looking for images than designing quest cards.
If you please, could send me a PM?

Thank you!

Yeah, finding good pictures is definitely the most time-consuming part of putting together a good scenario. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's downright impossible to find the right picture. I usually start with a simple google images search for the specific thing I'm looking for. Unfortunately this usually turns up a lot of stuff from the movies, so I try to look for concept art from video games whenever I can, they're usually quite good. If it's a Lord of the Rings game, even better.

I also like to put some fan art into the mix too and support the deviant art community, so I usually do a few searches on deviant art as well.

If the thing I'm looking for is particularly obscure, it's a lot tougher. Usually, locations are easier than enemies. There's a lot of fantastic artwork out there for mountains, rivers, hills, forests. Locations are easy because they don't necessarily have to be drawn from LotR sources (a forest is a forest). Enemies are a bit harder. I had trouble finding enemies that always looked like Easterlings for this scenario; there's a surprising lack of Easterling pictures that aren't clips from the movie. I found a lot on deviant art and that was about it.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the scenario, I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed creating it. I have some neat things in store for Part 2, so don't go anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome again. thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has approved the upload, so anybody who wants to print out the scenario and cut out the cards can now play Raid on the River Carnen without having to get cards from artscow. Lemme know how you like it! cool

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/8fz3135uwn/Raid_on_th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just arrived, we played it last night. It is fantastic, my favorite fan made so far. The raiding mechanic works really well, and definitely adds to the game. The sense of having to protect villagers from dying was very much present. We beat it handily (I'd say it's rated about correctly as a 5) and had a great time doing so. Impressive job, thank you.

Quick rules question. If Eastern Cataphract is already raiding a villager and its Forced effect triggers, does that mean it is now raiding two things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
Has someone posted a quick review of these fanmade quests, and if not could someone, please?

There's a geeklist with polls for all the quests, including fanmades. Some of them also have reviews in the comments:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72931/the-lord-of-the-ring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
This just arrived, we played it last night. It is fantastic, my favorite fan made so far. The raiding mechanic works really well, and definitely adds to the game. The sense of having to protect villagers from dying was very much present. We beat it handily (I'd say it's rated about correctly as a 5) and had a great time doing so. Impressive job, thank you.

Quick rules question. If Eastern Cataphract is already raiding a villager and its Forced effect triggers, does that mean it is now raiding two things?

Wow, thank you! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it.

To answer your question, yes, if Eastern Cataphract is already raiding a villager and its Forced effect triggers, both villagers as well as the Eastern Cataphract will return to the staging area, and the Eastern Cataphract will be considered Raiding both of them. This can cause the enemy to raid multiple enemies at the same time, something I neglected to mention in the Raiding rules. When this happens, the enemy will deal damage to each Villager separately (as if it were performing two separate attacks).

I have added this question to the FAQ.

Thanks again! Keep those cards handy, because you'll use them in parts two and three, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee M
United States
St. Michaels
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ordered and very appreciative of the time and effort you put into these quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.