Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am playing TI with friends tonight (with one of the expansions I am sure). I haven't played TI before but have eagerly anticipated playing it. I have seen a few videos on general play but I was wondering if there are any last minute tips for me before I play that other BGGers wish they had received before playing for the first time.

The other gamers will have played range from 1 - 6 times before this (4-6 players tonight).

Thanks.

EDIT: A handful of for the best tip (decided by a judging panel of...just me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun has to be the first thing. But beyond that - stay focused on VPs. You should be looking for how you will claim a VP every status phase while planning out your run for the win. This may seem obvious, but many players get caught up in trying to take planets or build up their fleets without staying connected to VPs. Taking planets is great...if it gets you a needed VP. Building your fleet is almost always a good idea unless you've missed an opportunity to score a VP instead.

This is also the main reason for having any interest in Mecatol Rex. MR is either going to be of value to you for your secret objective, OR because your holding it will deny the opportunity for someone else to score theirs. Clogging up MR is never a bad idea. The classic move is to go in assuring all that your tenure is temporary - and then never leave. Who knows, someone might even believe you for a while.

Good luck. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great reminder to focus on VPs as a game like this is overwhelming for a TI noob like moi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnoughts and War Suns are easily the most over-estimated units in the game. Dreadnoughts are too slow to spearhead most offenses. They're all right for defense, if you're butting up against build limits or fleet supply, but 2 Cruisers and a Destroyer has more firepower, more wounds, and more maneuverability. War Suns, while powerful when supported by fighters, are often prohibitively expensive. Certain races (Jol-Nar, Mu'at) lend themselves naturally to them, but otherwise be sure you have the economic strength to deploy War Suns before researching them.

On the subject of research, don't get too enthused with getting new tech for no reason. Many of the best techs are early in the trees anyway: Sarween Tools and Enviro Compensators, Hylar V Lasers, and XRD Transporters are the clear standouts. I would go so far as to say unless you're playing Mentak or L1z1x, or another race that can make good use of Stasis Capsules, XRD is a no-brainer pick.

Lastly, Destroyers are an overlooked but handy part of your navy, and actually have the best firepower/cost ratio with Hylar V. Obviously fleet supply gets in the way so you can't just spam them, but here's a neat trick I use them for. In each border system, even empty space, that you don't have any other ships, place a single Destroyer. This way no one can surprise you with an invasion on a valuable system, as they cannot move through your Destroyers without Light Wave Deflectors (often overlooked tech). They act as speed bumps to would-be conquerors , giving you time to retaliate with your own navy. They can prove an especially frightening deterrent if you also have Deep Space Cannons.

Beyond that, a lot of the tips I have are specific to race or situation, but you should be on par with your more experienced friends if you remember to focus on VPs, only use Dreadnougts and War Suns if your situation is suited to it, have a clear purpose to your research, and find uses for the cheap, efficient Destroyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Print a tech tree and the text of the strategy cards for every player and a description of leaders if you use them and a description of the special systems. This are the most important things. There are lot of files for this in the file section.

This helps so much in a TI3 game i can't imagine even playing without them anymore.

I have made a very nice sheet with all this information but it is for a game with all the expansions. Just check the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the tips guys! (I just found out we will be playing with all of the expansions)

Any suggestions for race selection? A top 3 would be helpful as I don't know what others have selected already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strongest races include the Yssaril Tribes (amazing expansionist power plus the ability to stall) the Emirates of Hacan (economic powerhouse with a 3 planet homeworld) and Federation of Sol (supreme flexibility). The L1z1x Mindnet are also incredibly strong but their slow dreadnoughts are less forgiving of mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
If you send me a private message with your e-mail i can send you the file i currently made. It includes the techs, leader,the strategy cards with Assembly II, Trade III and the special systems. I must say i am a little bit proud about it

I cant publish it yet, because i am waiting for the final reply from FFG. I am pretty sure they will accept it and than it will publish it on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your biggest resource in the game are Command Counters, not resources or influence. Husband them well. Do not spend them if you don't gain a lot from their use. Unlike resources and influence those you don't spend you keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Caffeine. Lot's and lots of caffeine. Bring beer and whiskey for everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if he's still playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the help everyone. I had a great first game. I played as the Emirates of Hacan. I think it was a great race to start with. The only trouble was I missed some crucial rules at the start of the game so I missed my Primary Objective completely because I thought I could only have one PDS on a planet at a time. I really want to play again. I can see this being a game with endless re-playability.

Again, Thanks for all the help.

Jordan.

Ps. And yes there was lots of beer and cider to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Any recommendations for the sheet i sent you? I excepect the answer from FFG in the next 1-2 weeks and therefore are happy for any improvements before i upload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
Any recommendations for the sheet i sent you? I excepect the answer from FFG in the next 1-2 weeks and therefore are happy for any improvements before i upload it.

The layout is clear and I really like that everything is on a single page. I think that the color's need to be more prominent in the tech tree as I couldn't easily distinguish between the colors. Also. The use of symbols to indicate the tech levels was a bit confusing. I think a small tech symbol with the level number beside it would be a lot more clear. I think that bolding the outlines of the starting techs would be useful as well to make it more obvious when you are referring to the sheet.

As a new player the Turn Sequence breakdown is especially useful as it lays out all of the possible actions with the descriptions (something I could have used when I played).

Great work! and thanks for sharing it!

Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
shikosaki wrote:

Jordan

Thank you, i included your suggestions. Now we just have to wait for the answer from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
shikosaki wrote:

Jordan

Thank you, i included your suggestions. Now we just have to wait for the answer from FFG.

Do you have to ask the publisher to upload a file?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
shikosaki wrote:
NoxMortem wrote:
shikosaki wrote:

Jordan

Do you have to ask the publisher to upload a file?

No but to use their graphics. The Strategy Cards are simply copy pasted from the rulebook and i painted over the original text. It's still the original graphics and therefore i need their permission. The file is uploaded now, it justs waits for approval from bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played all expansions and the original with a varity of different gamers; from newbie to pro I would reccommend the following for first time plays:

1) No more than four players.

2) No expansion rule or races.

3) Set a time to finish (ie the game ends no matter what at 12 midnight, highest score wins).

4) Keep in Imperial I from the original game, it acts as a timer and puts pressure to gang up on the winning player.

5) Choose the objective cards youself rather than a random selection then you can choose a balance between tech, political and military objectives.

6) Have the objective cards all revealed so that players can see how their particular race can achieve certain goals and in what order they should prioritise them in.

7) Have a 'forgiveness phase' and a 'no mercy phase'. The foregiveness phase could be rounds one and two and during this phase you foregive mistakes and errors that always crop up in newbie games, then from round three the no mercy phase begins and people cannot go back on mistakes or misundertandings.

8) Certain strategy cards do not need to have the secondary ability kept to turn order, so for example the secondary tech ability can be executed by all players at the same time (unless there are trust issues). Dissolve the need for turn order whenever you can on the secondary abilities to save time.

9) Teach the newbs through practice/pretend scenarios reather than long winded re-iterations of the rule book. You can have a practice politic round before you start and a pratice mock up battle battle (with fighters and ground troops and bombardments and everything). This will add time onto the beginning but trust me will save hours during game play.

10) Finally, and most importantly, if you are the experienced player playing with a newb group; then be prepared to sacrifice your game to give them a good game!!! I have seen too many newbs completely put off this game because a pro has steam rolled through the game before the newbs even know the difference between a war sun and strategy card. The newbs go away thinking 'uh, that was crap'. I would add to this that as the pro you should also consider starting a few wars between yourself and a couple of the other players. Some of the newbs I have played with have gone the whole game and not seen a battle and come away feeling like they have not even played. Now we pros fully appreciate a game that has such a versatile set of dynamics that a game can be wone without ever firing a shot......but, newbs love that tense battle scenacoolrio first game!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.