Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Talisman and not Defenders of the Realm. All other suggestions welcomed and appreciated. The keys are good flavor, a progression of characters, and conflict (hopefully more than Runebound).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at Prophecy. I think it's out of print right now, but Z-man may do another. You can customize your character with various skills and weapons, and there is an end-game fight to claim the relics.

Like a lot of folks, I've been playing Mage Knight Board Game. It's like Runebound in the sense that you're exploring a map and killing things to level up, but the mechanics are totally different (no dice, all card driven). There can be as much conflict as you wish to put in there.

Of course, I've just suggested a couple games that may be hard to find right now, so probably not much help to you. But you may be able to pick up a used copy of Prophecy fairly cheap.

I know it's really not in the same vein, but you might be interested in Claustrophobia. It's only two players, but a lot of conflict with asymetrical sides.

Hope this helps at least a little.

jw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Wells wrote:
You might take a look at Prophecy. I think it's out of print right now, but Z-man may do another. You can customize your character with various skills and weapons, and there is an end-game fight to claim the relics.

Like a lot of folks, I've been playing Mage Knight Board Game. It's like Runebound in the sense that you're exploring a map and killing things to level up, but the mechanics are totally different (no dice, all card driven). There can be as much conflict as you wish to put in there.

Of course, I've just suggested a couple games that may be hard to find right now, so probably not much help to you. But you may be able to pick up a used copy of Prophecy fairly cheap.

I know it's really not in the same vein, but you might be interested in Claustrophobia. It's only two players, but a lot of conflict with asymetrical sides.

Hope this helps at least a little.

jw

I did take a look at Claustrophobia in the past, but never bit on it. A 2 player game would be good now that I'm out of school, though, so I'll check into it.

I fear Mage Knight may be super-complicated and hard to explain to others. Is this true?

I just might have to check into getting a copy of Prophecy at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure boardgames:
* Talisman: Roll and move.
* Mage Knight: Eurogame with adventure game theme.
* World of Warcraft: Boardgame: OOP.
* World of Warcraft: Adventure Game: OOP.
* Anima: Card game. Cheaper.
* Anima: Shadow of Omega. Anima standalone.
* Arkham Horror: Cthulhu Mythos. Coop.
* Prophecy: Adventure game with Eurotweaks.
* Heroes of the Realm.

I wouldn't consider DotR as an adventure game. My definition is that each player plays a separate character and when they land on a space, they have an encounter. However, I wrote this definition to distinguish them from dungeoncrawls, which are combat systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts on Mage Knight is that while it is complex, I don't find it that complicated. I read the rules and walkthrough before I played it, and once I'd played it solo a few times, it didn't seem all that hard. It all depends on your group, but the best way to learn and teach is to follow the walkthrough. On the downside, depending on the size of your group, it could take a while to play a game.

Note: It doesn't seem all that hard to play...hard to win is another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Adventure boardgames:
* Talisman: Roll and move.

Tried, didn't like.

Quote:

* Mage Knight: Eurogame with adventure game theme.

It's possible, but it's also expensive.

Quote:

* World of Warcraft: Boardgame: OOP.

Tried, didn't like.

Quote:

* World of Warcraft: Adventure Game: OOP.

Tried, didn't like.

Quote:

* Anima: Card game. Cheaper.

What kind of card game are we talking here? I'll obviously do my own research, but if it's a deckbuilder, I have enough of those.

Quote:

* Arkham Horror: Cthulhu Mythos. Coop.

Already own. Similar, yes, but not really fantasy-themed. I just want a good romp, but it doesn't seem like there's a fantasy adventure game out there that's been made in the past 5 years. Is the genre dead or something?

Quote:

* Prophecy: Adventure game with Eurotweaks.

Sounds promising, but I'm not sure I want to spend upwards of $70 on an older game.

Quote:

* Heroes of the Realm.

I did a search for this, but it's not on BGG? Maybe you meant a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops!

It's Return of the Heroes. Sorry!

Anima was published before deckbuilders were invented. It has a severe Final Fantasy RPG theme, so you've been warned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Oops!

It's Return of the Heroes. Sorry!

Anima was published before deckbuilders were invented. It has a severe Final Fantasy RPG theme, so you've been warned!

Not a hater or fan of FF, so I suppose that's not a concern to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Loft
Kuwait
flag msg tools

I think Sam & Max was spot on with his list.

I think Mage Knight is probably the best option of the bunch but god the deck and combat system consumes a lot of brain energy

It's a game that would benefit from a decent app to speed up game play and prevent some confusions for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It really sounds like you're looking for something so specific that nothing is going to come quite close enough to satisfy you except if you make the game yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newer D&D board games? Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt, Nerath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
It really sounds like you're looking for something so specific that nothing is going to come quite close enough to satisfy you except if you make the game yourself.

Maybe not. I'm just surprised nobody has tried to make a bona fide fantasy game yet this decade. Even Runebound is more of a race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the three Anima games quite a bit - the art is fantastic. You use the cards as different locations that you explore to find new allies and equipment while completing tasks so you can take on the final encounter. There is some interaction as you can choose to attack the other players. I find it to be a fun, quick to play, adventure game.

Perhaps the new version of Descent will work for you ... Or the Dungeoneer series. You might want to check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm just surprised nobody has tried to make a bona fide fantasy game yet this decade.

What does “bona fide” mean to you?

Runebound is a “fantasy” game with the victory condition being the first across the finish line. Decent is a fantasy game with the victory condition of being last man standing (players vs. Overlord). I’m sure there are others out there that have victory points as the win condition.

Once you take “fantasy” out of the RPG world and make it the theme for a boardgame, it will have a parochial win condition. Race is pretty common, but I don’t think this renders the game a “non-bona fide” fantasy game.

In fact, I don’t think you can get more fantasy than Runebound or Descent.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Priks
Estonia
Tartu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Dungeoneer series.

Also Runewars takes place in the same universe as the Runebound and Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I guess what I really meant is I can't believe Runebound is the only one.

natsean wrote:
Quote:
I'm just surprised nobody has tried to make a bona fide fantasy game yet this decade.

What does “bona fide” mean to you?

Runebound is a “fantasy” game with the victory condition being the first across the finish line. Decent is a fantasy game with the victory condition of being last man standing (players vs. Overlord). I’m sure there are others out there that have victory points as the win condition.

Once you take “fantasy” out of the RPG world and make it the theme for a boardgame, it will have a parochial win condition. Race is pretty common, but I don’t think this renders the game a “non-bona fide” fantasy game.

In fact, I don’t think you can get more fantasy than Runebound or Descent.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure of D
And, it's relatively new (2010)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.