Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was considering picking up one of the 3 dnd board games. Ravenloft, wrath, or drizzt. I intend to get it mostly for solo play.

I understand that wrath and ravenloft go together better and can be used as expansions for each other, but I hear drizzt has some new elements but do not go with the other two games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Loft
Kuwait
flag msg tools

Get Legend of Drizzt the Scenarios are way better than the previous versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven13 wrote:

Get Legend of Drizzt the Scenarios are way better than the previous versions.

Even though your user name is Raven Loft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy Ravenloft, and love the setting. But I haven't played the others. Drizzt is the latest, and seems to have more in the way of characters, NPCs, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Ashardalon. It seems to be the most difficult of the three (at least in my experience). Also, if you're going to play mainly solo, Drizzt may not be the best choice, because it has some missions that are meant to be competitive. Ravenloft is great, just a bit easy. We went through the entire campaign with my group and didn't die once.

Ashardalon is a more challenging version of Ravenloft.

All three are very similar, and all very good, so you really can't go wrong.

But my vote is for WoA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Gears of War? I think it greatly improves upon the D&D games and has solo play built in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Have you considered Gears of War? I think it greatly improves upon the D&D games and has solo play built in.

I've played all the D&D games and recently Gears of War. I really didn't feel those games should be considered as one game system is better than the other. Gears was good (very much enjoyed it) but...well, it's just a different feel than the Adventure System games.

I love the Adventure System games with my kids (and have had a share of fun playing them solo also). So, either way, I think is a win-win for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind going outside of the D&D box, I would say Mage Knight would work well. Defenders of the Realm would be a good sub, but Mage Knight is more built for soloing in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I actually do have Gears of war and enjoy it. But it lacks certain, adventure qualities that the dnd games seem like they may have with the event elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hegel Bessa Jorge
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
I wish.
badge
Nothing to see here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three, and played Ravenloft a lot, Ashardalon moderately and a few games of Drizzt, but would have played a lot of them, just haven't because of time. I like all three.

Buy the Legend of Drizzt if you read the novels. It is great to play with the characters of the novels.

If not, buy Ashardalon, because it has more difficult monsters and a bare campaign system, which you can use to play a lot.

Buy Ravenloft if you like the theme and want some difficult (the encounters here are harder).

If I could buy only one, it would be Legend of Drizzt, mainly because of the Characters of the novels, but as I've said, I like them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.