Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
(An excerpt from a chronicle kept by an Athenian name of Thucydides)

And the second year of the great Peloponnesian War came. The prestige of Athens had ebbed somewhat, with Potidae still defying Athens' armies and Ephesus in Ionia joining in revolt. Still, Athens did enter the spring of the second year confident in her strength and the strength of her walls of stone and wood, and ready to crush the rebels and defy Sparta.

As the winter rains ended and spring returned to Greece, Sparta and its allies mustered again into Corinth, no doubt hoping to cow Athens. And in the summer the horde invaded Attica again, burning olive groves; a small squadron of triremes patrolled the Saronic Gulf. We were not concerned in Athens; did not our walls protect us?

But at the first day of the summer Athens was stricken when the very earth shuddered beneath our feet. Though our Long Walls were undamaged, the city suffered grievously - and despite the efforts of Pericles, the other leaders of Athens fell to the spell of doom-mongering priests (in the pay of Sparta no doubt) who said that the powerful movement of the earth was indeed a sign from the gods showing their disfavor. Swayed by the priests' poisoned tongues, our fleets remained in port lest the gods strike again.

But the Spartans remained and the siege continued, and the citizens of Athens - and our soldiers - did suffer.

Fall brought further woe for the city of Athena. A plague of an unknown type did break out in the city. And yet the Spartans remained outside the Long Walls, so men could not flee the pestilential city for the shelter of the countryside. The citizens and soldiers of Athens were reduced further.

In the Fall Athenian triremes returned from recapturing Ephesus and at last drove off the Spartan triremes from the Saronic Gulf. As winter approached, again the Spartans and Corinthians returned to their cities. Pericles tried to embolden the men of Athens, reporting the great successes in this the second year of the war at Potidae and Ephesus. True enough, but even Pericles' skilled orations could not mask the fact that when men counted the strength of Athens' soldiery in Attica, it was less than half of what the spring had seen.

The war did continue. Though history will show that Athens surrendered in its fifth year to the Peloponnesian League following the loss of Abydos and Byzantium - and another hungry summer - in truth, the war was lost in the second year of the war.

(Game note: Athens in Spring 430 had 12 units with 29 steps. By the end of the Fall it had six units with six steps... In case it isn't clear, Sparta moving second in Spring besieged Athens, and then dropped an earthquake on it during Summer, and played Plague in High Summer; Athens endured two siege attrition rolls (with losses on 1-3 due to the triremes in the Saronic Gulf) and plague losses before it could respond. A great hand very well played by the Spartan... though Athenian prestige actually IMPROVED during the year, it never recovered from the huge losses inflicted and was worn down by 472.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I recognize that tale!

And a great telling it was too. Thanks for sharing. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old thread, but I just played the game for the first time the other day and have a question:

Why didn't Athens put to sea and destroy the Spartan blockading fleet in the Saronic Gulf on the turn after the Earthquake? Why suffer another attrition roll like that?

(I was also under the impression that attrition was only on a 1, not 1-3, unless it was Winter - did I get that wrong?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
This is an old thread, but I just played the game for the first time the other day and have a question:

Why didn't Athens put to sea and destroy the Spartan blockading fleet in the Saronic Gulf on the turn after the Earthquake? Why suffer another attrition roll like that?

(I was also under the impression that attrition was only on a 1, not 1-3, unless it was Winter - did I get that wrong?)

As I recall, it was because of the order the cards were played. It is possible to get 'double moves' - ie, go last in one pair of card-plays, and first in the next.

Attrition for Athens hits on 1-3 if enemy fleets are in the Saronic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Attrition for Athens hits on 1-3 if enemy fleets are in the Saronic.

Hmm. I'm not sure I knew that when I was playing as Sparta. I might've tried a bit harder with my navy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.