Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Daniel
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey guys, new player with a quick question:

Is it a legal move to go into the dungeon knowing that you're not going to be able to kill something just so that you can use your dungeon abilities or cause an enemy to retreat?

That is to say... Say there's a big creature in the dungeon that I can't kill, but I want to deny my opponent the kill. Is it legal to go into the dungeon and declare combat on that creature even though you can't win just to make it retreat?

The rules don't seem to say anything against doing so, but I just wanted to make sure that's allowed before I start utilizing that strategy. Thanks folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure is.

I happen to think monsters who win should stay and even get stronger, but the rules as written allow this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very important strategy to use. Once your opponents catch on and start doing it back to you, you'll start to see just how nasty it feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Daniel
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you both for the reply! Also, I just realized I posted this in the Variants section on accident. Ahem. Sorry about that! If one of the powers-that-be wanna move it to the Rules section, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, just let it get buried I guess!

Thanks again you two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games have final scores around the 30s or so.

Mark Wootton's team has final scores in the low teens, because they always punk away high-scoring monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Daniel
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Ha! Most of my games so far have had scores in the 20s for the same reason. Sometimes I'll go into the dungeon just to use certain dungeon abilities (Whetmage + Bandia's Wisdom being a personal favorite) even though I know I can't kill anything, so I'll just send the high-VP monsters packing so that my opponents can't get the kill.

I'm a bad person. :c

Edit: That reminded me: is it legal to spend all three XP you earn from Bandia's Wisdom, leaving you with none to pay back? Or must you always have two XP remaining to pay back afterward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can spend it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.