Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 2nd Deployment for FWA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the campaign that Bill and I have started, I've used the 1st deployment with max pursuit battalions and arty HQ's. However, Bill's VC have the annoying habit of alerting away from my brigade arty. I'm considering trying out the 2nd deployment option where the arty is integral to the battalions, but pursuit is reduced. At least then my arty might have some fun. Has anyone else experimented with this deployment?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
6

I wish I could've saved one of those 6's for last night when I was playing a different game! shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
In the campaign that Bill and I have started, I've used the 1st deployment with max pursuit battalions and arty HQ's. However, Bill's VC have the annoying habit of alerting away from my brigade arty. I'm considering trying out the 2nd deployment option where the arty is integral to the battalions, but pursuit is reduced. At least then my arty might have some fun. Has anyone else experimented with this deployment?


Dave,

I have not yet tried the second deployment.

It is worth a try though.

Not much you can do if your opponent has the annoying habit of rolling 6s on the alert… When Mark's VC do that I call them "ridge runners" because they always seem to be running out of mountain peaks at the time…

You could also try using one infantry in-hex, and four other ZOC maneuver elements non-adjacent (there is a square pattern for these other four units, each with one intervening hex between these four units and the target hex, that basically guarantees one of them will be next to the VC when they alert… This means the operation WILL continue, and then you can bring in your brigade HQ as an offensive reserve and guarantee you get to use its firepower in the second round.

The five unit placement is always the same pattern, and it assures that they VC will always be in someones ZOC, even after it alerts two-three hexes away from the target hex.

In other words, if you put one unit in the target hex, put the other four in hexes NOT adjacent to the target hex, creating a concentric "net" of ZOC a couple of hexes out. There is no where the little bugger VC can get away.

I do this from time to time.

Or perhaps you can try one-unit-only [in the target hex] operations (a bit dangerous now and then, of course) multiple times until you catch the VC on a lower alert roll.

He cannot roll 6s for alert roll on every operation, can he !

Randy

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aslredbarricades wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:
In the campaign that Bill and I have started, I've used the 1st deployment with max pursuit battalions and arty HQ's. However, Bill's VC have the annoying habit of alerting away from my brigade arty. I'm considering trying out the 2nd deployment option where the arty is integral to the battalions, but pursuit is reduced. At least then my arty might have some fun. Has anyone else experimented with this deployment?


Dave,

I have not yet tried the second deployment.

It is worth a try though.

Not much you can do if your opponent has the annoying habit of rolling 6s on the alert… When Mark's VC do that I call them "ridge runners" because they always seem to be running out of mountain peaks at the time…

You could also try using one infantry in-hex, and four other ZOC maneuver elements non-adjacent (there is a square pattern for these other four units, each with one intervening hex between these four units and the target hex, that basically guarantees one of them will be next to the VC when they alert… This means the operation WILL continue, and then you can bring in your brigade HQ as an offensive reserve and guarantee you get to use its firepower in the second round.

The five unit placement is always the same pattern, and it assures that they VC will always be in someones ZOC, even after it alerts two-three hexes away from the target hex.

In other words, if you put one unit in the target hex, put the other four in hexes NOT adjacent to the target hex, creating a concentric "net" of ZOC a couple of hexes out. There is no where the little bugger VC can get away.

I do this from time to time.

Or perhaps you can try one-unit-only [in the target hex] operations (a bit dangerous now and then, of course) multiple times until you catch the VC on a lower alert roll.

He cannot roll 6s for alert roll on every operation, can he !

Randy



That's a good idea, but it has actually been a terrible combination of Bill's good alert rolls with my bad combat rolls! cry The problem is that he can usually alert away from the 0-range HQ so then I usually have 2-3 battalions in combat with him, but little support and he is on a -3 hex. I then would usually need to airmobilize the HQ to get it into the pursuit.

It's still first season and I haven't been able to buy as much as airmobile transport and air power as I'd like. That will have to wait until Fall. That and maxing out my ARVN Rangers.

Ah well, that's how it goes. I also thought the second deployment for non-airmobile units might be more efficient. I would only have to airmobilize 3 units instead of 3 and a HQ. The more I explore this game, the more amazed I am at its depth. Great job by the designer.

Dave
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and my rolls haven't all been bad. I did roll a 6 for ARVN effectiveness. yuk

Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
Oh and my rolls haven't all been bad. I did roll a 6 for ARVN effectiveness. yuk

Dave


Dave and Bill,

Would either of you be able to take a quick snapshot/screenshot of each of the four SVN Corps areas each season and post them to the Geek, so we can share some interest and follow your game?

Randy
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,

I submitted a brief session report.

Dave
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.