Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games my group has played and liked (that I'm wild about as well)

Resistance
Manhattan Project
1812: Invasion of Canada
Innnovation

I'm pretty sure, based off Dice Tower's review, that they'd love Lords of Vegas (as would I), but it only plays up to 4. I'm looking for a game that is strategic but not too difficult to explain and, above all, fun!

The group sometimes has more than 5 people show up and the Resistance can only be played so many times. I also own Citadels, but a proper ~2 hour game would be awesome (games usually take us longer than they advertise, due to some people AP-ing or getting distracted with socializing). Preferably somewhat thematic and not too dry, though pure Ameritrash isn't necessarily what I want. Dice and luck are fine, but strategy and the ability to shift the direction of the game towards your desired direction is above all else. We love the strategy behind TMP, for example

Tammany Hall, which I have already pledged for, also looks like a winner for this group (though also plays up to 5)

Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can give you a giant list of potential 6 player games that are strategy, you'd have to look through and find ones your gaming group would like.

Power Grid
Twilight Imperium
Battlestar Galactica
Eclipse
Railways of the World (or other variant)
7 Wonders
Dominant Species
Letters from Whitechapel
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Chicago Express
King of Tokyo
Saboteur
Medici
Shadow Hunters
Bohnanza

Gonna stop there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bshazel wrote:

King of Tokyo

As much as I like it, it's not a 2 hour game or even close. It's a great warm up game for 6 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideas:
Showmanager
Medieval Merchant
Cosmic Encounter
Medici
Hoity Toity
Formula D
Turf Master
Ausgebremst
Robo Rally

A couple of these are out of print, and you may or may not reach the two hour mark, but they all work well with six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel would probably interest you ... a cooperative game with one person playing the opposition. Good for 5-6 players.

I will add Magical Athlete, BANG!(an obvious one), and Dice Town (6 with the excellent expansion) and Wildlife to the ideas above. Great games!

Yes, its nice to have a longer game for your group ... but if you enjoy Resistance now (it takes about 30 min- 1 hr to play) you would probably also enjoy Perudo with a group of 6. About the same play time as Resistance (which incidentally many class as a party game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor
= it's like Puerto Rico on space!

The Pillars of the Earth with The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set
= scale up to 6 wit expansion

- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go for Power Grid... I've had my eye on it for a long time and the fact that it scales well for 3-6 (2 with Robots) is huge. Plus, it is a BGG must-have game and it's about time I bought one of them.

I understand Resistance is a party-game. My group likes to play it to wind down from our 3+ hour game sessions. I was just stating the games I've played with the group that all of us liked (Innovation was obviously only played with a few of them). I really wish they wouldn't AP like they do and would do things to mitigate this, like plan their turn during other players' turns. We'd easily be able to fit another full length game in.

I own Flash Point already and it's a great game but with this group, I like competition. However, it is another good wind-down game (if time allows) to allow your brain to relax from thinking of your buddies as "the opposition".

Cosmic Encounter looks like a ton of fun but it seems less strategic and more social/interactive. I love interactive games (see Innovation) but we really like to get our think on. Plus, I think Galaxy Trucker would scratch that itch better, if I ever saved up enough money for it and the expansion.

The Railway games are a huge genre on BGG that I've never looked into but probably should. +1 to Dominant Species. However, Power Grid looks to be exactly what I was asking for.

Or maybe I'll buy LoV anyhow and have one group play that and the other play 1812 or Flash Point or whatever. Or buy both. Choices, choices.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.