Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im after a Dinosaur game, and these 2 are top of my list. Any opinions/recomendations? FWIW I have Small World and do not like it at all (its on my "to sell" list).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, there are no dinosaurs in Dominant Species! But that aside, two massively different games.

Evo is a fun family game. Short and light.

DS is a heavy worker placement with a lot of conflict. Long game with deep strategy (which can be turned upside down by other players in an instant).

For me, heavy worker placement is my preferred genre, so DS wins easily, but both are fun. Just so very different you can't really compare.

I play Evo with my parents and 11 yr old niece.
I play Dominant Species with my proper gamer friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitescreech wrote:
Im after a Dinosaur game, and these 2 are top of my list. Any opinions/recomendations? FWIW I have Small World and do not like it at all (its on my "to sell" list).

Evo:

-Playing time: 90-120 min

- 3-5 player game (although best with 4-5 players and forget the 2-player game)

Dominant Species:

-Playing time: 180-240 min (First game may go over 4 hours with 4 players)

- As far as my experience goes 3-4-player game is the best (5-6-player games would be total chaos for 4-5 hours or even more)

There is a lot to compare, although some similarities, the games are very different and in totally different weight in rules, game lenght and amount of elements in the game.

I think Evo is much cleaner, simpler, faster and yet very much a gamer's game behind the dinosaur theme. I have played Evo five times and everytime I have discovered something new about the strategy and tactics of the game. You can still play Evo with less experienced players and have fun. Evo is a great game that I can highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Firstly, there are no dinosaurs in Dominant Species! But that aside, two massively different games.

Evo is a fun family game. Short and light.

DS is a heavy worker placement with a lot of conflict. Long game with deep strategy (which can be turned upside down by other players in an instant).

For me, heavy worker placement is my preferred genre, so DS wins easily, but both are fun. Just so very different you can't really compare.

I play Evo with my parents and 11 yr old niece.
I play Dominant Species with my proper gamer friends.

I'm more and more surprised about "the family game label". Not sure if the less experienced gamers add a level chaos in the game, especially in the auctions but I would say that the most experienced player will win the game most of times and it's very much a gamer's game. Average euro's strategies are quite obvious after a few games but there is a lot to learn under the surface in Evo and I think people tend overlook some elements of the game.

I'm a heavy gamer myself but Evo is definitely not that light as it's advertised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
most of what everyone said above is true. I just wanted to say that Evo is quite similar to Small world (it is even from the same designers)...som my question is: why do you need a "dinosaur" game? is the theme so important?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever considered Caveman - It has some strategy, luck and conflict.

Good for the family and in some groups it'll also work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be late to the game but Evo is better than DS in just about every way possible.

As others have noted, it's shorter, has a better theme, it's frickin dinosaurs, and it's actually fun (why we play games, right?!). Evo can have some interesting things going on, but it does fall a bit short actually since combat is tougher to really make happen (which I guess favors the euro guys that like points optimization exercises).

DS is described as "deeper". I love when I see that. "Deeper" always means "has more rules, more exceptions, takes forever, and has a lot of down time." Since the genes are random, someone's going to get glaciered each turn, and the cards can really sway things, you have no idea what will be what from turn to turn. How people say they plan for that is beyond me.

And in Evo, because combat is limited and points are hidden, it's hard to kingbash. Another favor to Evo.

One advantage DS does have is that each player is actually different. Seemingly minor, but the bonus traits for each changes your strategy. Makes for more interesting combinations.

One downside to Evo is that though fun, it can be repetitive. Also, as noted in my own comments on the game, the cards are annoying the way presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.