Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
May be to be able to play Epic Battles with Expansion 5 (I think you must use 3 mapboards to play an epic battle). The third map is inside Expansion 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason is that in the first printing, the base game did not include a mounted map board, just a paper map - so the second expansion was how you'd get a mounted map.

The dice in the second expansion are the same as in more recent printings, but the first printing of the base game also included worse dice, so the first expansion was how you'd get better dice.

The third expansion indeed includes a second mounted map, and also rules for epic scenarios (that are subsequently overridden by the ones in the fifth expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
and you can always sell the extra equipment to fund other buys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just feel very good you got those. Both are very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't miss Epic unless you've played the game in that way before you made the decision. It's the best way to play (but I rarely do, as it takes so much space...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
in my opinion if you liked the cca game experience then you should definitely buy exp5 because its a HUGE update to cca gameplay plus it has its own 100 deck cards for the epic battles, trust me on that (mind that the battles will last approx 3 hours)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dampenon wrote:
May be to be able to play Epic Battles with Expansion 5 (I think you must use 3 mapboards to play an epic battle). The third map is inside Expansion 3.

You need two mounted maps to play Epic. All mounted maps are identical, and they have the regular map on one side, and half of the epic map on the other side.

Mounted boards are included in:

-Base Set (third printing)
-Expansion 2
-Expansion 3

If you're searching for Epic Rules, you can find them here:

-Expansion 3: regular Epic Rules
-Expansion 5: better Epic Rules, and it includes a special tailored deck for epic play.
-From the C&C:A website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
From the C&C:A website.

Indeed, they're here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTLivingRules.aspx

You'll also need the epic deck from expansion 5 for the full epic rules, or you can play with the less fleshed-out ones from expansion 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there was no deck of any kind in Expansion 3, but original Epic rules called you to use two regular decks and gave a chart about how card play differed in Epic. Expansion 5 carries a special deck, NOT just more of the regular deck cards, with graphics that make things easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a blast playing Epic with only two players. Played an Adrianople scenario and we both commented to each other that is was definitely one of the greatest gaming experiences of our lives (not just because it was Epic, though. It was a close and thrilling battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Epic game I have played has turned out to be an Epic play of the game. Once you've gone Epic it is hard to play the regular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It drives me nuts that each expansion is missing a key element that makes you feel compelled to buy the other expansions. It's kind of like Apple devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my experience, EPIC game gives you another good sensations about the battles, but depend of the time of play, i have played 18 EPIC battles, 2 hours aprox per battle, trying to interchange sides if possible.
Parabellum Series offers you 3 times the same battle and regular game its for novice players and for play more scenarios with differents armies and set up.
For all of this you need another mapboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.