Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Hojnacki
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 8th Turn

Soviets have won the initiative and decide to go first.

No variables except a few partisans, but another high supply roll.

Not too many reinforcements this turn, but more planes. Now the fighter ration climbs to 7 to 1 odds. (Actually I find out later during this turn I neglected to give the Russians their air unit reinforcements on the July 5th turn the ratio is more like 10-1) WOW!! Guess I got cocky there, because the damaged FW-190 in Pskov did not go quietly into that good night, defeating three fighter sweeps and damaging two squadrons before he was finally destroyed, and even then he damaged his killer.

Actually with all these new air units, I’ll have to start considering upgrading some on board airbases…like I don’t have enough supply issues.

Now that the skies are clear (a costly victory) I decide to use the LRAF to attack German stacks in strategic movement hoping to slow down their arrival on the German right flank.

1st Baltic Front continues to move forward, but can’t attack. My own fault perhaps using 5 points of trucks has extenders but it seemed to make sense at the time, now those points are bringing supplies to the front but won’t make any difference until next turn.
By Polotsk that damned last German division is halting my RR conversion, AND I then read I can put “RR” units on reserve...double damn it!! He has to die this turn.

I plan several attacks along the Sebezh-Opochka line this turn. I don’t plan to attack Opochka directly it looks too strong for a frontal attack. I hope to threaten its supply enough to force the Germans to abandon it.

12 Air attacks this turn, fingers crossed. 4 out of the 6 front line attacks were successful, and two on the strategic moving Germans as well. More planes are inactive than can be refit, I guess I’ll have to burn that supply to upgrade bases. The Soviet air force is a powerful asset too keeping my barrage costs low. Wish I upgraded some airbases a turn or two earlier, well it is a learning game.

By Polotsk the last OoS German was wiped out rather easily, further west my one attack rolled low resulting in a dismal Ao1/Do1.

West of Idritsa the attack achieves surprise and rolls high on the attacking forcing the defender back 3 hexes and a 2+ exploit. The attack during the exploit phase manages to kill one breakdown regiment but little else.

Around Opochka, I take the bog to the south of the city causing two step losses on the Latvian division there, but no exploit. Artillery fire causes a step lost to the KaD Division, the subsequent river crossing attack against it rolls #$&% hot getting surprise and then rolling an 11 on the attack destroying the division outright. The exploiting Guard division then destroys the German artillery in the sector that had been giving me fits.

Not going to get the PoP level this turn, this is beginning to bother me. But I am causing heavy German losses across the front line, between the dead pile and on board step losses my German persona is worried. But this turn was a monster of supply consumption I can’t attack again like this next turn.

[Damn it!!! Forgot the photo again]

German July 8th Turn

Another turn of big variable and supply rolls “10” and “11” respectively. With that many EQ units I rebuild 3 Stug Battalions and the 1st HQ in Tilsit. The 277th AG gets added to the dead pile from my hypothetical roll.

Sigh, haven’t been using the German naval shipping and with 17 SP sitting in Tilsit I’m going to have to get that supply forward as best I can. Fly and ship 4 SP into Riga.

9th Corp’s position is really problematic, the huge Russian 51st Army is going to explode out of the “E” hex turn, without the initiative next turn this 9th Corp could easily find itself surrounded. Really should have read the reinforcement chart better (I thought it would add some flavor to the solo play at the start of the game if I didn’t do this but really may end up costing the Germans big).

The Velikaya and Sorot River lines are not longer really defensible positions time to fall back and save the soldiers, like the situation with 9th Corp a double turn would help in creating a new line.

As the German I’m really worried about the initiative, having the 9th Corp surrounded and the units strung out on the road from Opochka to Ostrov is really risky.

Only bright spot is the VPs back down to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.