7 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move units from Surrendered, Destroyed, Shattered to Rail. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
Don't have the game in front of me right now.

I had the card, which said: "Move 2 units from Surrendered, Destroyed or Shattered to railway movement".

Is it legal to play this card right after Supply Check, so that all the surrendered units immediately get onto the train and detrain onto the map in the same phase as they surrendered? Or is this card only playable in the Movement phase, as that's when units usualy step onto trains?

The card does not say anything about "Play in movement phase", it just starts with "Move units from..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is card #2, Gott Mit Uns/Manpower Reserves [quote]: Move up to two units from any of the Shattered, Destroyed or Surrendered Boxes to the Rail Movement Box.

A very powerful and useful card for the Soviet's and playable at any time by my interpretation of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
It is card #2, Gott Mit Uns/Manpower Reserves [quote]: Move up to two units from any of the Shattered, Destroyed or Surrendered Boxes to the Rail Movement Box.

A very powerful and useful card for the Soviet's and playable at any time by my interpretation of the card.

The "Apropriate Timing" rule says events must be played when their corresponding actions occur. So that card can only be played at the time units are moved into the rail movement box, not at other times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule Harald refers to is under [5.0] THE CARDS:
Quote:
Appropriate Timing
Events must be played when their corresponding actions are performed according to the Sequence of Play (4.0).

EXAMPLE: You must play a card that gives you a free unit upgrade during your own Organization Phase, not during your opponent’s Combat Phase.

That said, I share a different view to Harald's:
Quote:
[5.3.1] Event Effects: Events describe their exact timing and use on the cards themselves. When not specified, that Event may be performed at any time.

Since that no exact timing is specified on Soviet Card #2, I suppose I can be played any time.

For the "Appropriate Timing" issue, I think it is not applicable in this case. The reason is that there are two apparent "appropriate" timing:
(1) Organization Phase (Removal of units from Shattered, Destroyed or Surrendered Boxes)
(2) Movement Phase (Placement of units in the Rail Movement Box)

Indeed, I think that the card-text always trumps the rule, because:
Quote:
[5.3.2] Event Precedence: When there is a conflict between Event text and the Rules, the Event text takes precedence.

A final note: The example quoted under "Appropriate Timing" refers to either German Card #3 or Soviet Card #8. Coincidentally, both cards explicitly specify that the respective Event has to be played during Organization Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siinji wrote:
I had the card, which said: "Move 2 units from Surrendered, Destroyed or Shattered to railway movement".

Is it legal to play this card right after Supply Check, so that all the surrendered units immediately get onto the train and detrain onto the map in the same phase as they surrendered?

Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that up to two of the just surrendered units could go to the Rail Movement Box, but no more. (And remember to tag the Surrendered Units Box and give the German player the Event VPs they are due.) But they don't detrain in the same phase they surrendered. The text on the card doesn't permit that. That happens in the following phase.

The point I'm trying to make is that while up to two units may go to the Railway Movement Box, does this mean that you are permitted to exceed the maximum limit of three units in the Railway Movement Box?

...The way around all that, I suppose, is to play the card during the Detraining Phase. Detrain down to one unit, then play the card, and continue Detraining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is that while up to two units may go to the Railway Movement Box, does this mean that you are permitted to exceed the maximum limit of three units in the Railway Movement Box?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.