Subject: [Variants] Heroes on GUARD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant posted under WoA - "Adding Surprise Check" and the resulting discussion therein gave me a very simple idea on how to make movement of heroes and the subsequent exploration more interesting without adding more dice rolls to the game.

Basic "Guard" variant:
If a hero explores and is attacked by a new monster spawned on the just revealed tile, each unused point of movement adds +1 to the hero's AC. This simulates the hero having more time for observation and setting himself on guard.

If the hero did a double-move, each movement point used in the 2nd action makes the hero suffer -1 to his/her AC instead.

Advanced "Guard" variant:
The AC bonus granted must subtract the monster's level to a minimum of 0. So a hero with 2 unused movement points that encounters a 3XP Wraith would get no AC bonus (2-3=-1).

FAQ:

1. The AC bonus is only for the very first attack by the monster.

2. The AC bonus does not apply to event-attacks and traps in the encounter deck.

3. Being Slowed and Immobilized means the hero has 2 and 0 movement points respectively. Choosing not to move when Dazed also means the hero has 0 movement points.

4. If the newly revealed monster's first attack is against another hero (not the hero that explored), that hero does not get an AC bonus.

5. If the monster's attack is an area attack, only the exploring hero benefits from any AC bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting; I'll try it next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We made +1 AC tokens that we put on our characters if they moved once but didn't attack. This token goes away at the start of your next hero phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
We made +1 AC tokens that we put on our characters if they moved once but didn't attack. This token goes away at the start of your next hero phase.

That's a really simple idea as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple.. but I'm thinking it's a bit weak... I'm making new +2 AC tokens tonight..

Hmm... We could make 3 tokens.. GUARD .. better defense.. but a penalty to next Hero phase's attacks.

CAUTIOUS .. +2 to AC by giving up a move (normally because there aren't any monsters around you.. but also useful if you attacked but were already on an unexplored edge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.