Hide
15 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: One simple rule that makes the game much better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elite Nabukadnezar
msg tools
The rule is: Only players that are on the same tile can talk strategy.

Example: Players are named A, B, C and D. A & C are on the tile "Silver Gate". B is on the helipad. D is on "Dunes of Deception". Only A & C can talk to each other; as soon as any of them leaves "Silves Gate", they can't anymore.

Try it. It makes the game much better, especially if you have someone on the table that likes to create the strategy for everybody. It's also much harder to win and wins seem more deserving. Try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would probably also benefit Pandemic, since the games are cut from the same cloth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will make the game harder, but I will try it. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the players in the same area have to go into another room to talk to each other? Otherwise everyone is gonna hear what they're saying anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I always thought of it as some sort of radio communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
I guess I always thought of it as some sort of radio communication.

Yeah, me too. I mean, they wouldn't get decent cell coverage on an island which is forbidden, now, would they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey A
msg tools
mbmb
This sounds interesting. I like to play closed hand too. It requires a lot more communication rather than someone just telling everyone what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this twice.
Did not care for it that much. Seeing as all players don't even start on the same tile at the beginning of the game, with this variant there wouldn't even be any table talk at the beginning. So you could have everyone just doing their own thing, while never meeting on the same tile.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyRIT wrote:
I like to play closed hand too.

Yes, this is a must. I don't understand why it isn't in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clarkson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I think it actually is in the rules isn't it? Or am I thinking of Catan?

Also, I wonder if this 'partial communication' variant might be a bit easier if you can only talk to people you're adjacent to, or on the same square as them.

I find that I'm very rarely on the same square as someone, but probably about half the time I'm adjacent to someone. There'll definitely still be some difficulties with 'backseat drivers' if there's one player that's isolated and the other two are talking at the table.

Playing it with closed hand as well as this variant would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
How about the players do closed hand.. But while taking treasure cards, those are revealed. So there is a memory aspect to "giving cards" to someone making the treasure set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sousa
Brazil
Niterói
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And/Or... players must spend an action to communicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some new "Comms Down" cards that force a player to go silent for a while until they can dispose of the card, this would simulate patchy comms on the Island:

They can only communicate with other players on the same tile as per your rule. They can dispose of the Comms Down card on their next turn as long as they have a full hand, or can give them to other players if necessary (same as standard Treasure cards).

I would suggest 2 or 3 cards shuffled into the Treasure cards deck at the start of the game. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a go with some hand-made cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Fisher
United Kingdom
Sutton
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, but not for this game. I'm going to adapt this rule to Flashpoint Fire Rescue as a Radio interference variant. Radios won't work inside the house so players can only communicate with others on the same room.
I'm ashamed to say that in my group, we have an alpha Flashpoint player. I'm even more ashamed to say, it's my wife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, since I use this game to introduce people to try co-op games and one of my selling points is that it increases the level of communication by an order of magnitude, I probably wouldn't use this! Closed hand (after the first game), yes, however.

I think if you want to keep the alphas in check, simply make it so the person whose turn it is points to people to have conversations, and you can't start a conversation when it's not your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.