Subject: Building Towers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlefolk,

I bought this game last week and read through the rules several times. I then found the optional rules which make the game MUCH better (I use all of them). I then put it to the test twice this weekend with my two boys aged 15 and 11 and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

One situation came up that I am unsure of:

My youngest captured one of my castles and then immediately paid the money to put a tower on it. It was a castle that had been built a couple of turns before and already had one tower. To keep the game moving, I allowed this but it didn't seem quite right.

What are your views on this? Spartaco, is there any chance of a ruling? Using that logic, he could also have bought an extra tank if he wished, so the question is really:

"If you capture a castle and have the money to do so, can you immediately add a tower and/or build another fighting machine such as a tank or an aeroplane or must you wait until your next turn?"

With kindest regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartaco Albertarelli
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dear Jim,

first of all thank you for playing my game.

The question is a good one. In the spirit of the rules, you need "time" to build something. This means that you can build towers and tanks/planes only if that castel is yours at the beginning of your turn not if captured during your turn.

I agree that the rule can be interpreted in different ways and I need to clarify it also on the official website.

By the way, Alex Randolph used to say that in case of a rule that can be interpreted in different ways, the right one is always the most amusing. So if you had fun... why changing?

My best

Spartaco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartaco,

Thank you for your prompt answer. Talking of having fun:

This game is a blast. I know the tanks are overpowered and the system generally favours the attack but, it is the same for all players. This was written by a 62-year old man who attacked his 11-year-pld son with the full compliment of six infantry backed up by two aeroplanes and four tanks. He then rolled six dice for his infantry first and scored six explosions killing his own force in its entirety and thus making a donation of all his armour and aircraft to a jubilant wee boy. It's incidents like this that are remembered long after you have forgotten who won the game. This game is certainly MAGNIFICO!

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartaco wrote:
Dear Jim,

first of all thank you for playing my game.

The question is a good one. In the spirit of the rules, you need "time" to build something. This means that you can build towers and tanks/planes only if that castel is yours at the beginning of your turn not if captured during your turn.

I agree that the rule can be interpreted in different ways and I need to clarify it also on the official website.

By the way, Alex Randolph used to say that in case of a rule that can be interpreted in different ways, the right one is always the most amusing. So if you had fun... why changing?

My best

Spartaco

What official website? From what I can see, none of the four publishers (Asmodee, Dust Games, Editrice Giochi, Fantasy Flight Games) have it on their website anymore.

It is listed at http://www.kaleidosgames.com/MagnificoEng.html, but that does not seem to have any clarification for this acquire/build ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.