Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Cormier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first game of Railroad Barons with someone who never played 18XX, I found the game to be quite a good introduction to 18XX. The only other game of the serie I had played was 18AL, so I can't consider myself an experienced 18XXers. Yet, I experienced many aspects of the game with more depth while playing Railroad Barons than playing 18AL (especially the meaning and importance of the initial auction and the difficult timing involved in getting the priority deal). I still prefer 18AL but it seems that Railroad Barons constitute an even better introduction to the system, as there's less to remember, it is faster paced and involves only one other player which gives much more control over each actions. This permits to trial and error many things and experience their actual effect (it's harder to plan ahead with more players and the consequences of one action are sometime less obvious).

The only thing that could be problematic is the omission of the actual OR planning, which is the favored aspect of some players. I would be disappointed to drive back new players that could be interested by the tile laying aspect at first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.