Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What made/will make you choose one over the other?

What do you like most and least about how they play, and what are the most important differences?

Oh, yeah, are the figs compatible, with each other or other games?

Why choose one over the other, or why even choose both?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is coop, Zpocalypse isn't. I bought Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:

I didn't know about Kickstarter at that time and only found it through Zombicide, so I didn't back Zpocalypse. I was a late backer. But, either way, having looked at Zpocalypse, I prefer the more immersive sense of zombicide with the minis.

Texas gamer wrote:
What do you like most and least about how they play, and what are the most important differences?

I haven't actually played either yet, so cannot comment, other than to say that the video on the gameplay of zombicide looked good enough to hook me into backing!

Texas gamer wrote:
Oh, yeah, are the figs compatible, with each other or other games?

I would assume that the zombicide figs are of a scale that would make them perfectly usable with any game.

Texas gamer wrote:
Why choose one over the other, or why even choose both?

Thanks.

I would suggest playing both yourself, which will give you a far better base from which to make a decision. For me, I only have the money for one at the moment and Zombicide presses all the right buttons, whereas Zpocalypse just doesn't look to have the 'sparkle' to hook me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few reasons I chose Zombicide alone.

1. I play other miniatures zombie games. Regardless of game play, the minis in Zombicide will be of use to me. The Zpocalypse minis just were not as nice/would not be as useful. The tiles will be useful for when I don't have time/space to lay out my 3d terrain.

2. The coop play means my daughter and I can play on the same side and beat those nasty rotters.

3. Some of the cool female characters appeal to my 9 year old daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't expect much Zpocalypse love on this section Both games were quite pricey (especially Zombicide) so most of us had to pick just one

Reason why I chose Zombicide :

- Coop
- Quality of minis
- Quality of general artline
- Ridiculous amount of content at Abomination level
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:

I got both. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went both.
2 Different style of games.

Zpoc is build up and survive. Kind of your typical zombie deal.
Has day to day strategy and tactical combat.

Zombicide strikes me more like Zombieland.
A funny, kill em all, while trying to make it out tactical combat game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bain
United States
Clarksville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like so many others, backed Zombicide primarily due to it being a cooperative game. Zpocalypse did look interesting, but I could only back one. I have LNoE for when I want a competitive zombie adventure.

The miniatures in Zombicide are also very beautiful. Being a miniature painter, this appealed to me greatly. The Zpocalypse minis looked, to me, like the minis from every other zombie game that I own.

The awesome amount of stuff got from the Zombicide Kickstarter also made my squee with zombie delight.

I haven't played either, but Zombicide seemed like a perfect for my game group. Zpocalypse does look interesting though, and it is something that I would like to pick up from a trade eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Norder
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zpocalypse had figures that represented two people at a time. So those two people could never split up, or have one die, or whatever. Just didn't seem to make any sense. Zombicide had a variety of plastic figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannorder wrote:
Zpocalypse had figures that represented two people at a time. So those two people could never split up, or have one die, or whatever. Just didn't seem to make any sense. Zombicide had a variety of plastic figures.

As i understand it the bases accommodate two survivors or minis representing your squad moving and exploring. The base allow removal of one survivor should they be killed, etc.

I like many here got both as

a) they both allow solo play
b) both seemed well supported on Kickstarter
c) allowed a great level of backer interaction and posted rules
d) love me some minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Damn this thread! You just made me watch the cool video tutorial for Zpocalypse and now I think I made the wrong choice!

Early comments about the "fiddly" nature of Zpocalypse worried me. Also, someone said that it was more lite-RPG than boardgame and I was not looking for another one of those.

But Zpoc's game-play looks solid and fun (thumbs for the videos) and I may wind up getting both anyway.

(Hint: Greenbrier could help me pull the trigger by making an expansion for anything besides zombies. The post-nuclear setting would make a nice place to fight mutant bugs, for example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dannorder wrote:

Yeah! Just like in War of the Ring where they have one guy represent an entire army! That's so dumb. And in Risk, my whole nation is a little plastic Roman numeral. MAKES NO SENSE WORST GAME EVER
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Yeah! Just like in War of the Ring where they have one guy represent an entire army! That's so dumb. And in Risk, my whole nation is a little plastic Roman numeral. MAKES NO SENSE WORST GAME EVER

Neither of those games is trying to be a 1:1 representation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Neither of those games is trying to be a 1:1 representation.

A 1:1 representation would be a darned big game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zpocalypse: Fairly long, immersive, story-driven "RPG-lite" competitive game with text-heavy cards. Looks like a fair bit of reading if you want to be immersed in the theme, but the text could be skipped (symbols/resolution at bottom of event cards) if you want the game to move along more quickly. Lots of (potentially complex) game phases: scavenging, building and feeding your team, reinforcing bunkers, then battling zombies at night. Repeat for the next day... if you survive!

Zombicide: Fairly quick, cooperative APAS shoot-em-up game. Minimal in-game text. Streamlined and simplified rules, movement, etc. More likely to hit the table regularly with my group, as we prefer our AT games to play in 1-2 hours and not be too fiddly ("Which step of whose turn is it now? ... When can I start killing zombies?").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I supported Zpocalypse as it has a different approach, is meatier and I already own LNoE with all supplements. Zombicide will not satisfy my 'Growing Hunger'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought both, anything with a Zombie theme is good for me. Plus then I don't have to try and figure out witch one I want. But I know not everyone can do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sirignano
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed Zpoc. Want zombicide as well but I played Zpoc at Pax East and it was a ton of fun. The turn phases make sense once you make it into the night. The other phases basically allow you to set your stats for the night then it's onto the zombie killing, your group has to eliminate all the zombs to move onto the next day while everyone is trying to complete a secret mission. So you basically need to work together to survive but everyone has their own agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Zpocalypse.

Zombicide has some sexy bits and was a fascinating KS campaign to watch, and from my standpoint as a guy who likes to have, well...everything in a board game, I was extremely tempted by all of the extras, exclusives, and media character spoofs.

But at the end of the day, it was a matter of the game itself that brought Zpoc to the front. Zombicide looks like a video game, a fast-paced action thrasher that is more about running around killing stuff than anything else. I already have that video game.

Zpoc feels much more appropriate as a board game. A competitive, semi-coop survival game with ever-mounting pressure, plenty of modular options, and excellent thematic flair. I can see people in my group staying up late into the night playing this and having a blast. It wears the theme much better as well, IMO; The real flavor of the zombie genre lies more in the horrible things one must do to survive, and less in the blood-bukkake of a gratuitous grindhouse slaughterfest.

I considered backing both, but based on the above I realized that only Zpoc had a reasonable chance of hitting my table with any regularity. I took what I would have dropped on Zombicide, and ended up rocking Zpoc with style ("MP5 on the lookout tower"). Good times.

[Reposted from same thread on Zpoc forum]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.