Eli

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
I'm fairly new to the hobby and just completed rating (and, more importantly, commenting on!) the games I own and games I've played: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/EliP

I did this primarily to record my thoughts, but I like the idea of sharing my ratings/comments with other people too.

MY TOP TEN (actually, three)

So far, I only have three games that feel like they belong in my top ten. There are definitely more that I like a lot, but none that feel top ten worthy. I can't wait until I can fill out the whole list.

1. Twilight Struggle
2. Agricola
3. Power Grid

A FEW RANDOM THOUGHTS

I need Theme AND Mechanics

Twilight Struggle, Agricola, and Power Grid are my favorite games because I feel like I'm in the experience.

In Twilight Struggle, it's the wonderful cards and the paranoid psychological state you enter when seeing your opponent add influence to a region.

In Agricola, it's the literalness of the actions you take (take wood, renovate your house, cook animals...) combined with the feeling of building something up while also being on the edge of starvation.

In Power Grid, it's the lively auctions and the dynamic commodities market.

To me, a great ("top ten") game must have that thematic immersion (in addition to great gameplay).

The complexity/depth sweet spot

I own several good games (random example: San Juan) that I never want to play because they fall in the wrong complexity/depth zone. They are too complex for nongamers, but I want something deeper if I'm with gamers. San Juan is a pretty good game, but there are almost no situations where I want to play it. I realize that a lot of games fall into this category for me.

Comments versus reviews

I like filling out the comment section on my collection page as opposed to writing a whole review because 1) I'm a few years too late in most cases and 2) I don't have tons of insight beyond a few lines/paragraphs.

I just wonder if anyone actually looks at comments (that feeling is partly what caused me to create this post).

Anyway, thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
EliP wrote:
I just wonder if anyone actually looks at comments (that feeling is partly what caused me to create this post).

Almost exclusively. I rarely find reviews or other commentary useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
EliP wrote:

Almost exclusively. I rarely find reviews or other commentary useful.

Awesome. There's a lot going on in this website and I still find myself wondering how some things actually work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
EliP wrote:

I hardly ever read reviews. Comments by people you know have a similar taste are more helpful. So I have geekbuddied a few that have a similar taste in games as me, and then I check their opinion. And then I always check the comments of those who have given top and bottom ratings to games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting you find San Juan complex for non-gamers since it's a simplified version of Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
matthean wrote:
Interesting you find San Juan complex for non-gamers since it's a simplified version of Puerto Rico.

Yeah, both would be too complex for my nongamers.

The nongamers I play with generally don't like anything more complex than Ticket to Ride.

I hear about people playing more complex (than Ticket to Ride) games with nongamers a lot, and that always makes me wonder if my nongamers are especially nongamer-ish... Oh well, at least they do seem to genuinely enjoy the simpler stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.