Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious to see what other War of the Ring players might be going to Gencon this year. I'll be bringing my copy and hanging out in the boardgame room Friday and early Sunday if anyone wants to play or learn to play. I'm more than happy to teach new players but keep in mind it can take around 3 hours for your first game counting rules teaching time.

Of course, if Netrunner releases at Gencon that may be taking up some of my time too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be at GenCon, but since I'm working the exhibitor hall, and have some meetings going on in the evenings, my time will be very limited in regards to playing time. I'll try to check the boardgame room Friday evening though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We still have to finalize our event schedule, in any case we'll be happy to greet all WOTR fans at the Ares' booth and help them to get in touch with each other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be coming to GenCon and I'd love to meet other BGG'ers and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
We still have to finalize our event schedule, in any case we'll be happy to greet all WOTR fans at the Ares' booth and help them to get in touch with each other!

Yep, I'll definitely be stopping by the booth - I'm hoping to see the new expansion if you have it ready for sale or display by then.

Also, might as well announce it here - I've decided to try to paint all my War of the Rings figures in time for Gencon. I don't know if I'll make it but last night I took the first step - hot water treating all the models that needed to unbend a little and washing them. Today is going to be trimming any flash, any unbending I missed the first time, and spraying primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Haggard
United States
New Whiteland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to meet with other WotR players. I don't spend much time in the open gaming area, but I do spend time in the various areas around the halls to play pick up games. So if anyone is interested let me know.

Can't wait to see the Ares booth and hopefully they will have some demo's for Sails of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Also, might as well announce it here - I've decided to try to paint all my War of the Rings figures in time for Gencon. I don't know if I'll make it but last night I took the first step - hot water treating all the models that needed to unbend a little and washing them. Today is going to be trimming any flash, any unbending I missed the first time, and spraying primer.

Wow, that's quite some project. It took me six years to complete my base game figures. I'll applaud your courage and will be awed by your dedication, if you complete them all for GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot of figures, but I'm banking on two ideas:

1. They're relatively simple figures so they don't need as much detail work.
2. A lot of them are in sizable groups that can be done assembly-line fashion.

First up will be the Sauron Regulars. I'll post some updates as I go and we'll see if I make it or not

Edit: Not much time to paint today. Did I mention we also have a new baby in the house? Anyway, I managed to paint one Sauron Regular, which is mainly just to get my color scheme down and because this is my first time painting on soft plastic (I'm mainly used to metal minis). The other 30+ should go more rapidly and I need to start thinking about who to prime next. I've still got some models that need a 3rd round of unbending too - mostly spearmen, leaders w/ flags, and the leaning elf regulars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there, but I may not have much free time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ive never been to Gencon but may have to make the trip this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to sneak away for a while today and get a little painting done. I finished 18 Sauron regulars - there's one more batch of 17 more of them and then those will be done. I also primed up some more figures to work on next - the Isengard regulars, Isengard Elites, Elephants, and Nazgul. Probably Trolls and Dwarves will be next after them but that's a while off

Also, somewhere around here I have a can of Testors Dullcote but I have no idea where it went...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Johnson
United States
Loudon
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to learn War of the Ring. Sending you a pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pm back! Hope to see you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relatives in town for Memorial Day weekend have been keeping me busy, but they're finally gone and I found some time to paint.

The rest of the Sauron regulars are done now, and I've started on the Isengard regulars and working on a paint scheme for the Nazgul. Hoping to finish them both tomorrow or the next day.

Edit May 31: Isengard regulars and Nazgul are both done, the Isengard Elites and Sauron Elites are currently in progress.

That's 58/208 completed, 68 once the current batches are done. Next up are the Southron/Easterlings and then probably Dwarves. Also, I need to get back to unbending work, there are a lot of scattered Free Peoples figures that aren't ready to be primed yet which is holding them up.

Edit Jun 4: Isengard and Sauron Elites are done now, 70/208. Working on a color scheme for the Southron forces but probably need to pick up a new pot of red so it's slightly delayed. Need to work on unbending in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubt anyone'e still reading this, but I finally managed to get some free time to do more painting yesterday. Apparently a child takes up a lot of time or something...

Easterlings are sucking a lot of effort and still aren't done. I decided to put them on hold for a moment and work on something else. In return, both the Rohan and Gondor regulars are now almost complete - just a few more steps to finish them off. I've also done a very little bit on the Elf and North regulars - just painting their bases, bows, and a little skin color. Overall, some good progress.

I might get some more free time tonight, if I do I will finish off the Rohan & Gondor regulars and see how far I can get on the Elf and North regulars. Still got tons of horses left after that though, and eventually I need to get back to those Easterlings. The last set will be the Dwarves (easy) and all the characters on both sides.

I looked into getting a set of Strongholds, but the queue is pretty long, no way I'd be able to get them in time for Gencon. Maybe for next year then... Also, if I do Strongholds then I will probably pick up something for the Cities as well - I'm thinking maybe from the LoTR Monopoly set? If you're gonna pimp it out, might as well go all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still making slow progress...

All the regulars are done except Easterlings (who are mostly done). All Dwarves are done. Gondor cavalry are done.

Working on elephants, also need to do cavalry for Elves, Rohan, North (who only have base horse color done). Last will be the character models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like quick progress to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I guess it's all in what you're used to. We recently adopted a son (17 months now) and it seems to me that my free time for painting has gone straight down the tubes. But, others have said that it's taken them a year or more to finish their set and I'm aiming for just a few months.

If there's time before the con, I'm trying to get my hands on some appropriate extra figures to convert/sculpt into Aragorn and Gandalf the White so I'll have separate models for both forms of these characters. May or may not make it though, we'll have to see. If worst comes to worst I can still use the "upgrade" tokens but they're not as cool.

If I can find something, I wouldn't mind converting an painting a Balrog figure to put out when the Balrog card is in play either but I've had a great deal of trouble finding the sort of figure I want for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very productive day today, I managed to paint all 14 mounted Elves, and also finish off the rest of the elephants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 Easterlings are all finally done.

9 North Elites/Leaders are mostly done, I should be able to finish them up tomorrow night without much trouble.

Working on color scheme for Rohan riders, he's coming along well and then I will paint the other 8. My goal for tomorrow is to complete the North and complete one Rohan guy to set their color scheme. Then the next night I am free to paint I will try to do the rest of the Rohan riders.

After that, all that is left is the characters. First step will be painting all their bases since that's easy. But, I need to pick a color for the Fellowship. All the Shadow characters will get the base colors of their respective nations.

So, what should it be? White seems too cheesy and too stark looking, I'm thinking of perhaps a light grey but I'm open to ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mora
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think light brown could look nice on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up testing several colors including light grey, light brown/tan, etc... After comparing them, I decided to go with a bone color. It's light enough to convey the idea of "good", muted enough to fit in with the theme of traveling secretly, contrasts sufficiently with the brown base tops, and is distinct enough from the character colors. For instance, grey runs into problems with both Gandalf and Gollum being mostly grey colored themselves.

North horsemen are done now, so is Gollum, and one Rohan Elite to set their color scheme. Bases are painted on all remaining figures.

I have just 19 more models to go! Then there is one final step to spray sealer on them all and let them dry thoroughly before I can put them back into storage and try to take them to the LGS for an actual game.

Edit: I meant to finish the Rohan horsemen tonight, but decided instead to treat myself to working on the characters which are a lot more fun than painting assembly-line work. Gimli and Strider are nearly done, and the others have assorted colors. I actually did get a fair amount of Rohan done as well too. For about the next week or so we're going to be having several groups of family guests passing through so this is likely going to be the last chance to paint until that's over with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.