Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Holman
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
So I have Underground and have recently just got Be Not Afraid and Cursed. I was wondering if it's worth getting the original Smallworld and Tunnels to expand it further? It seems like it might potentially be too much, and break it so wanted to get opinions before purchasing. I think Realms looks interesting so will probably invest there.

Just as an aside, if anyone in the UK is struggling to find expansions at a reasonable rate I would recommend www.upanatemgames.co.uk and www.fantasyboardgames.co.uk. Both have been really helpful and quick with email queries.

Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Smallworld with the Tales and Legends expansion is THE BEST version of Smallworld. I own all things Smallworld along with all expansions and this is the only way we play. Underground seemed to be a release for the sake of having another release. We pulled about 8 of the races along with some of the new unique powers and just ended up mixing them into the original Smallworld game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sky. I own everything SmallWorld at the moment. And I have to say the original game is something you're gravely missing out on if you don't have it. And yes, it is made better by Tales and Legends.

I bought Underground and its fine, but we prefer original SmallWorld. I'd imagine that when Realms comes out, we'll be mixing a lot more races in, but we've pretty much done exactly what Sky did- picked some good ones from Underground and brought them above.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE they release expansions for Underground. It needs something like Tales and Legends. It needs more (and balancing) relics/locations. And of course Races/Powers can't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
skyzero wrote:
Original Smallworld with the Tales and Legends expansion is THE BEST version of Smallworld.

For me, I'd say get every expansion except Tales and Legends.

Small World is just the right amount of random, luck can play a part in determining the winner if just the right race/power comes up for someone at just the right time (or right away at the beginning) but for the most part this can be mitigated in social interaction ("he's winning, get him!) and choosing when to go into decline.

Tales and Legends adds an effect every turn and so adds another random chance for opportunism and luck to favor one player over another. Personally, not my cup of tea.

Otherwise, Necromancer's Island is probably the expansion we play the least. Originally I picked it up to have the option of playing with 6 people and it is cool how the dynamic can change a bit but ultimately either the Necromancer is equally ignored (players individually killing him when need be) or completely ganged up on to the point where I think it would take a particular group of gamers to really enjoy the subtle strategy.

As for the other expansions, get them all! Having more races/powers is always a good thing. For 6 people I originally got Random Map Expansion (fan expansion for Small World) which I love but now with Small World: Realms it will be interesting to see if you could find some way to make a 6 player map (and Realms looks like it will have less set up time too).

We haven't done Underworld/reg. Small World w/ tunnels yet but I have reg Small World and a friend has Underworld so hopefully soon we'll get a chance to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Tales and Legends adds so much luck as it causes players to have to adapt more. Since you can see what's coming, you have to plan ahead. It adds a minor bit of luck into the mix, but I enjoy it- typically that is needed for my personal games.

I've also heard Realms will include some tunnels, so there'a always that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe you haven't already gotten the original Small World. There is no question you should own it if you like the game. This will be your favorite "expansion" yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got everything Small World except Underground. I've played Underground quite a few times on it's own, aswell as with regular SW and tunnels.

If I was to recomend anything it would be:
Regular Small World, Cursed, Grand Dames & Be Not Afraid.

I would not recommend the following:
Leaders: Just use any kind of token, and download the rules from DoW. Nobody ever buys the leaders in any case.
Tales & Legends: Makes the game to random IMO.
Necromancers Island: Good idea, bad execution.
Small World Underground: The Relics & Places changes the focus of the game, into something I realy don't like.
Tunnels: Not needed when you haven't got Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holman
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Thanks all, looks like I will be spending some more money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Original Smallworld with the Tales and Legends expansion is THE BEST version of Smallworld. I own all things Smallworld along with all expansions and this is the only way we play. Underground seemed to be a release for the sake of having another release. We pulled about 8 of the races along with some of the new unique powers and just ended up mixing them into the original Smallworld game.

Good to hear! I am rather new to the board gaming world and one of the very first games I purchased was Small World. It has become a hit with my kids and their significant others and I just received Tales & Legends in the mail a few days ago. From the description, it sounded like it will add just what I think the game alone is missing. I can't wait to play it at our next game day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you should get the original game. I have Tunnels but have not played it yet, but I expect we'll have fun with it.

I disagree about some of the other expansions. I like Leaders, and I buy a Leader almost every time. And I find Tales & Legends not too random, since you see what's coming a whole round of turns ahead of time, and have the chance to plan for it. I will admit that Necromancer Island hasn't appealed enough to me to try it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now own all things small world except leaders, necromancer, and realms (in the mail atm), honestly underground was only purchased for the added races/powers, I don't think we have ever pulled out the boards or relics and we love it that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
I will admit that Necromancer Island hasn't appealed enough to me to try it yet.

I'm surprised at you, Barliman! Was it the bad press on this one that kept you away?

I am with you on the Leaders, and will file away your recommendation on the Tales & Legends (which is the only one I don't have.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.