Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario G is the Block Clearing scenario. The attacker gets a strong AFV and a good supporting squad. The defender gets a good squad and one group may start in a -3 Building.

I just recently played this scenario as the Americans defending and I lost due to broken squad. It wasn't even close. My bazooka was pretty ineffective. Whenever I managed to get to RR3 in order to fire it my opponent just retreated his AFV. So in order to be able to attack the AFV again I'd have to get closer to his infantry, that was just camping waiting for that.

So I could approach the scenario by ignoring the AFV and just going after my opponent's infantry. But the AFV is so strong and affective that you can't ignore it. All of my men that I lost was due to the AFV.

Maybe it comes down to group formation? 4 small squads or 2 large squads or a mix of the two. Where should the anti-armor weapon be placed?

It just seems horribly imbalanced in favor of the attacker. What's worse is the Germans only get 2 one shot panzerfausts if they are the defender.

Has anyone found success at being the defender in this scenario? Perhaps you have to play is like a coward and constantly retreat? The attacker must get twice as many VPs to win so maybe that's the best approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is better to wait for the attackers to come to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Sometimes it is better to wait for the attackers to come to you.

But the AFV parks at RR2 and just bombards the defenders position. A 0-2 To Hit chance is quite successful in Up Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I can not be more help here - I have not played for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try throwing terrain in the way of the AFV when it tries to retreat. Then it has to risk bog or move sideways, maintaining the range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
Scenario G is the Block Clearing scenario. The attacker gets a strong AFV and a good supporting squad. The defender gets a good squad and one group may start in a -3 Building.

I just recently played this scenario as the Americans defending and I lost due to broken squad. It wasn't even close. My bazooka was pretty ineffective. Whenever I managed to get to RR3 in order to fire it my opponent just retreated his AFV. So in order to be able to attack the AFV again I'd have to get closer to his infantry, that was just camping waiting for that.

So I could approach the scenario by ignoring the AFV and just going after my opponent's infantry. But the AFV is so strong and affective that you can't ignore it. All of my men that I lost was due to the AFV.

Maybe it comes down to group formation? 4 small squads or 2 large squads or a mix of the two. Where should the anti-armor weapon be placed?

It just seems horribly imbalanced in favor of the attacker. What's worse is the Germans only get 2 one shot panzerfausts if they are the defender.

Has anyone found success at being the defender in this scenario? Perhaps you have to play is like a coward and constantly retreat? The attacker must get twice as many VPs to win so maybe that's the best approach.

No. No one has had success in this scenario as the defender.

The problem with retreating is by retreating to negative range chits, you get negative VP's, so that doesn't work.

You hit on the reasons why this scenario is horribly imbalanced. The only way for the defender to win is get lucky. The AFV breaks its weapon and can't repair it, the AFV gets buttoned up (greatly reducing its effectiveness), somehow, the AFV gets destroyed or immobilized. According the old Renegade ratings site, http://www.yxklyx.com/thecolosseum/upfront/NationalityIndex...., the Japanese seem to have the best chance, possibly due to higher break level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Richard suggests, there is a broad consensus that this scenario is broken as designed. However, it is the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it comes down to the AFV breaking down by luck it seems.

I think the scenario would work if the attacker has a very weak infantry squad. That way the defender wouldn't be as vulnerable getting close to the AFV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Snipers are your friend.

Not that they'll necessarily work, mind you ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike costante
United States
scotch plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I think WWII era armor lost a lot of its advantages in close quarters. Like in cities.
The defender gets one building. What if the player doesn't get many more? He's defending a block!
What if the defender can play any woods and hill card as a -3 building?
The attacker gets face value terrain plus the NO sniper, .

You could also throw in the defender being able to use the marsh(debris), pillbox (fortified building) and minefield (booby traps)cards.

I haven't played UF in a while, but I just taught my gf and I'm afraid to play her.
MAC'12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.