Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chanan Siegel
Israel
ramat beit shemesh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any know of a game that is similar to the computer
game Tropico( I have version 1 for the computer)

From " wikipedia"
Tropico is a series of construction and management simulation computer games developed by PopTop Software and published by Gathering of Developers in April 2001.[2] The games see the player taking the role of "El Presidente," the ruler of an island in the Caribbean during the Cold War era from the 1950s onward.

The game is tongue-in-cheek in its presentation of banana republics, using a great deal of humor while still referencing such topics as totalitarianism, electoral fraud, and the interventions of powerful companies (United Fruit is implied) and the Cold War superpowers (the United States and Soviet Union).

Thank You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta has at least some resemblance in theme. Focuses on politics, graft, backstabbing and bribery rather than building and running a functioning country, so the game play is likely quite different.

To be fair, I haven't played Tropico. I haven't played Junta either, but I have been at the next table, and the people playing certainly had fun! That was 2007, and yes I do remember the laughter from that table. I would guess they were playing the 2005 edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played Tropico 3 and never played Junta, but that does look the most similar to it in gameplay. The theme doesn't hurt.

Unsure about the 2010 "sequel" Junta: Viva el Presidente!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look no further than Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unsure if Cuba is the right game to recommend. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing and I have had my eye on it, but Tropico is about being the president of a banana republic and trying to remain in power partially through economy, yes, but that's mainly so you can build buildings (and statues of yourself) that keep your constituents happy. You can also enact edicts, fix elections, ban elections altogether, and other fun stuff (all of which affect how you're perceived by the various demographics, from military to religious to liberal to sycophants [they always want a museum dedicated to the childhood of El Presidente!] to communists and capitalists, etc). To me, this sounds more like Junta than anything

*edit* now I'm in the mood to boot it up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
I agree. Cuba is a good game, but is not really about "governing". It's worker placement/economics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I've played Tropico a lot and since playing Cuba I've often been struck by the similarities. If you don't agree then I won't argue with you.

Cuba does have an economic core, but the main economies are crops, cigars and rum (just like Tropico). There are laws to pass/repeal, elections to be won (although the "voting" mechanic is rather abstracted) and corruption in the form of bought votes.

You can't assassinate anyone and you don't have to worry about different factions but I think there are sufficient similarities for it to be worth a mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Fair enough. I've played Tropico a lot and since playing Cuba I've often been struck by the similarities. If you don't agree then I won't argue with you.

Cuba does have an economic core, but the main economies are crops, cigars and rum (just like Tropico). There are laws to pass/repeal, elections to be won (although the "voting" mechanic is rather abstracted) and corruption in the form of bought votes.

You can't assassinate anyone and you don't have to worry about different factions but I think there are sufficient similarities for it to be worth a mention.

Long as you come from an informed position, I have no issues with your suggestion. To me, Tropico was always about currying favor with the factions but obviously different players take different things away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.