Citadels» Forums » Variants

Subject: My simple houserules for a shorter game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everyone knows the main reason not to enjoy Citadels is it's length. It simply is too long, especially when playing with 5 or more players.

Here's what we play at my house. It reduces the playtime by at least a third.

- Play with the Diplomat instead of the Condottiere. The Diplomat doesn't slow the game down, because he keeps the money and the buildings in play. He also adds a strategic choice when aiming for the end-game bonus.

- The game ends when someone has six buildings (instead of eight).

- The endgame bonus is modified:
When you have 5 different colors, you'll get 4 points, When you have 4 different colors, you'll get 2 points.
These are not cumulative, and note that it is analogous to the "getting to 6 buildings bonus". Everyone who gets to 6 gets 2 points, but the player who does it better (getting there first), gets 4 points instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and play "thread necromancer" here because I'm surprised that this thread received such little attention. The changes proposed here are very small, of course, but I can report that they've had a big impact on the way Citadels has played for us. I introduced the game to five new players and they actually felt the game ended quickly and were eager to play again. I do feel that playing to six might be the tipping point for encouraging a rush strategy, which helped it play in what seemed exactly the right amount of time for its weight. The point rewards seem right on. When playing with six or seven players, we'll play with your house rules from now on, Geert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call. I missed seeing this thread but I almost always play to six anyway. I like the enhancement "rainbow" bonus award too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Another houserule to make things go faster:
Characters 4,5,6,7,8 take their turns simultaniously.

Since characters 1,2,3 interact with others, their turns need to be done in strict order. If you're just playing casually the order of characters 4,5,6,7,8 doesn't matter as much. Character 8, the diplomat, still trades a building, so he must wait with this trade until all others have finished their turn.

However, I don't recommend doing this with new players. It also opens the door for some minor abuse, since you know whether or not character 8, the diplomat, is present. I've never seen someone make a problem out of this, but a more competetive group might consider this unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to run my first game of this next week (I'm soooo behind the times I know!). Just looking for options to keep the play time down and saw your thread. The rules on Fadutti's site recommends play to 7 buildings (rather than your 6).

Watching the Dice Tower video on mechanics they hate the most, I'm pretty sure they were talking about Citadels when they ranted about mechanics that allow players to do something that extends the game length (i.e. the Warlord).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
Going to run my first game of this next week...

I don't think you'll be sorry if you use this variant. I've seen so many gamers here give up on Citadels as a light, social game because of it overstaying its welcome with large number of players. However, I don't see a lot of attention given to Geert's very simple adjustments. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this at our lunch game today to shorten it. Works very well to shorten the game, and everyone enjoyed it! We did miss the warlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
I'll go ahead and play "thread necromancer" here because I'm surprised that this thread received such little attention. The changes proposed here are very small, of course, but I can report that they've had a big impact on the way Citadels has played for us. I introduced the game to five new players and they actually felt the game ended quickly and were eager to play again. I do feel that playing to six might be the tipping point for encouraging a rush strategy, which helped it play in what seemed exactly the right amount of time for its weight. The point rewards seem right on. When playing with six or seven players, we'll play with your house rules from now on, Geert.

Amen. Tried it, loved it. The rules should be permanently modified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles gibson
United Arab Emirates
DUBAI
dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great! Im going to combine all these. Should have been this way from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello S
Italy
flag msg tools
I think it could be more balanced, if u give 3 points to the first who reaches 6 districts, 2 points for 5 colors and 1 point for the other ones who build 6 districts. Otherwise the final points influences too much the final result, in comparison to the sum of the total district value.

in any case, it looks like a very interesting variant... but i love the conquerer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.