Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Guns of August at SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers)

Mathew and I set up using the advanced rules and did free setups using hidden counters. We probably started around 6:15PM and ended our session at 11:15PM. We were in early September ~ turn 13, so about half way through the campaign when tired eyes made us call it.

As the Germans, I had stalled in Belgium, having a lot of trouble with the Belgium Army. They really slowed things down. In the center, both sides just stared at each other and declined to move much.
The German left flank had surprising success and started rolling back the French's right flank.

By turn 8, the road to Paris was open in the south, but I did not have any movement points to begin the trip. The turn 9 reinforcements for the French, plus their replacements allowed them to get the troops to start stabilizing their right flank.

During all of this, troops from the center and left flank were sent down to plug holes. The different French armies were much scattered and intermixed, making counter attacks difficult and retreats often left stray units out where they were quickly eliminated. The 6th Army did grab the cabs of Paris and headed right for the right flank, only to see that stabilize and Belgium have a total collapse with just the small BEF to plug the large gap.

At this point, the cabs were redirected to the north. The Germans then attacked around Verdun, bypassing it and driving the French center way back to another river line.

The French right again broke apart and the 6th Army turned south again to head for the crumbling flank.

This is when we called it. The French right and left flank crumbling and the center already pulling back. As we discussed what would probably happen next, Matthew realized he had to pull the entire front way back to regain a solid line.

We figured that if we continued to the end of the 27th turn, it probably could have gone to the last turn or two with the Germans trying to get into Paris. It could have been epic, but we are old and can not finish such things in one evening!

We knew going in that the game would be called around the half way point, but what a ride it was! The chit pull mechanism made every turn unique and challenging as you had to deal with the results of the random army activations. Great fun! I can't wait for the east front game of this system to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game very much as well. I think next time, if I play the Allies again, I would start the great retreat sooner and not try to keep as extended a defense perimeter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Scott and Matthew

Thanks for your great readout. Sounds like a real nail biter. I too am looking forward to Guns of Galicia. And, now that you have navigated the learing curve, your games should unfold more quickly.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you John on the play time. Once we felt our way through the rules, the turns did speed up considerably. At some point, when everyone is engaged, you do have to stop and look around a bit, but there is no need to make a super detailed plan as you have no idea which army will move next. I loved that.

The French right flank would have completely collapsed one turn if I could have had an army or two go before Matthew. That did not happen and Matthew was able to plug the holes and extend his flank.

When I broke through around Verdun, the army that started the push went last on turn seven then went first on turn eight! That back to back moves is what really broke the center line and allowed me to go around Verdun.

We enjoyed our play and will try again. Come on Guns of Galicia hurry up and arrive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John, for designing great games. Scott H and I played Red Poppies a while ago and also enjoyed it very much.

I tried a solo campaign run-through of Guns of August a week or so before Scott H and I met at SNEW last Saturday night and thought the game was excellent for solitaire as well. The chit-pull system seems to lend itself well to both f2f and solo.

Looking forward to Guns of Galicia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Galicia should be in gamers hands in the next 5 weeks. Files are at the printers. Galicia's campaigns are only 10turns long so the game is much shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.