Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don had bought this recently from Germangames.com for around $60. Greg, Gary and Don had played the firstwalkthough scenario, the 'First Reconaissance', and when I showed up, they declared Greg the winner, and we played the First Reconaissance again. Going first, Don who was Goldyx, chose the #6 card (take another turn), Greg who was Arythia chose the #5 card (draw 2 cards immediately), Gary who was Tovak, chose the #3 card (mana steal to take a die) , and choosing last as Norowas, I took the #4 card (Planning, which gives you an extra card if you have at least 2 in your hand).

Going first, Gary went to the city and recruited Utem Corssbowman. So going second, I killed an Orc, using all five of my cards, actually spending 6 cards out of my deck since I had used 1 card to draw another card. On my next turn, I spent all 5 cards to recruit some Forestors. Note, now that I have some time for reflection, this is not the most optimal way to spend my cards. If you burn through your deck like I did, you will likely be the first one out of cards, forcing you to call the end of the round, and you will not get a play, while everyone else gets a turn. Also, Norowas's special card is to influence: if you inflluence a unit, then you gain 1 fame (plus 1 repuation if you use the more powerful effect of the card). So if let's say there are 3 rounds in the entire game, I was 'throwing' away 3 fame. Anyways, I did have to call the end of the round.

Lesson #1: Try not to be the one calling the end of the round, and make sure you use your cards more optimally. For instance, I likley used the Norowas special card in an attack for +1, when I could have used it for +4 influence.

Now at night, I was in a forest square. To my right was the edge of the board. To my right front was an orc. To my left front was a lake. So the only way to progress was through the orc. But my draw of 5 cards gave me not enough block/attack cards. So I decided to run away through the forest at night to get around (at a cost of 5). Don was already beside the blocking orc, reading to take it out, so I didn't have to go through the forest burning cards. So my game was ruined there.

At the 3 o clock position you can see the results of my running away. Don, the green dragon figure on the map has got rid of the orc, while I spent my whole time running away. Gary is in the 10 o'clock position having discovered the city. I am at the 11 o'clock position, while Greg is at the 12 o'clock position.

Lesson #2: Be patient. Let someone else eliminate a monster for you so you can get through. Relax, breathe in the fresh mountain air, and appreciate the natural beauty of the cliffs before you do something irrational like running through expensive terrain in the dark.

Gary was the first to discover the city tile, thus giving himself one final turn. Gary had the most fame (19) already, due to killing the most orcs. He had a spell card, and 2 advanced cards which gave him the greatest knowledge. He was also the greatest conquerer. Greg had 4 crystals for the greatest loot, while I had 5 inluence units for the greatest leader. No one had an adventurer points, while Greg took the worst beaitng with only 1 wound token!

Scores: Gary 37, Greg 18, Norbert 18, Don 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with being the one to declare the end of the round. It's true that you do need to use your cards efficiently, though---you've only got a certain number, and you need to make the most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are afraid killing 1 orc you should play a different game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution to your dilemma was, take the wounds, kill the orc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is relatively easy to remove two wounds in a single round. Take the wounds and go for the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jebry wrote:
The solution to your dilemma was, take the wounds, kill the orc!

The problem was that the orc was 3 armor with a physical resistance. So I needed to generate 6 attack, which I couldn't. I can't remember, but the Forestors don't have any ability to add attact value either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Foresters provide block only.

Don't forget that you can use Swiftness as normal attack. If you have saved up any combination of two Swiftness or Rage, you can take out those Orcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Don't forget that you can use Swiftness as normal attack. If you have saved up any combination of two Swiftness or Rage, you can take out those Orcs.

Only with the right color of mana! Sometimes that's in short supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More frequently than I would like. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Swiftness, usually, either I just want Attack 2 but I've got no white mana, or I've got plenty of mana but I want Move 4....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Caught between an orc and a carp place'.

That's all I've got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:

That's all I've got.
lol

Between the devil and the deep blue sea might have worked as a title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:

That's all I've got.

Not bad, I was thinking of "Caught between an orc and an impassable lake",then decided it was too much effort to think of something that *might* be clever and gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.