Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: Is Puerto Rico 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know someone will re-direct me to some PR FAQ or call me ignorant. But I have heard many people talk about PR being a decent 2 player games, etc.

However, every time I look at the box at my friends it says 3-5 players.

Is the 2 player game an expansion? Variant?

Are there multiple variants that I have to wade through or is there an official variant? Creator endorsed variant? Community approved?

Whats going on here.

Thanks for your responses.

EDIT: Other threads mention versions of the game. Does that mean I just have access to the wrong version of the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It is not 2 players. There are some User. Made 2 player varients in the file section.

I guess it official but I think the game is best with 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player is an official variant that didn't come in the original box (I haven't looked at the new one so am not sure if it is included in the 10th anniversary edition rules).

There are a number of threads talking about it and one of the really old files is the official Alea two player rules.

My wife and I played it a lot. We would now play Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen, but possibly that's just us meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Two player is an official variant that didn't come in the original box (I haven't looked at the new one so am not sure if it is included in the 10th anniversary edition rules).

There are a number of threads talking about it and one of the really old files is the official Alea two player rules.

My wife and I played it a lot. We would now play Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen, but possibly that's just us :meeple:


http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48838/puerto-rico-official...

Is this what you are referring to?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official 2-P varient in the Anniversary Edition. I believe it is the same as the one posted, but I am not sure on that. Never tried it, although some seem to like it. Personally, I would play something else with 2-P, bit this is a great multiplayer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
There is an official 2-P varient in the Anniversary Edition. I believe it is the same as the one posted, but I am not sure on that. Never tried it, although some seem to like it. Personally, I would play something else with 2-P, bit this is a great multiplayer!


Suggestions? WE have played a lot and like a lot and not liked a lot. We are always looking for more board games to consume.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
Two player is an official variant that didn't come in the original box (I haven't looked at the new one so am not sure if it is included in the 10th anniversary edition rules).

There are a number of threads talking about it and one of the really old files is the official Alea two player rules.

My wife and I played it a lot. We would now play Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen, but possibly that's just us meeple


http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48838/puerto-rico-official...

Is this what you are referring to?


Yes it is.

Well actually I was referring to the older one which is referenced in the comment, but since it is the same document it doesn't really matter!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:


I've checked and yes, it is the one, the official 2-player rule.

The official 2-player is included in the Anniversary Edition but not in the normal edition. The rule was released after the game was out.

- Damien

EDIT: To add, I enjoy playing PR 2-player. 24 out of my 34 plays are 2-player game with the same opponent. We're planning to add in the expansion very soon. Sometimes we also include some variant to make the 2-player fresh and interesting.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found this thread regarding BGG user's preference on the official 2-player variant to be very enlightening.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:
There is an official 2-P varient in the Anniversary Edition. I believe it is the same as the one posted, but I am not sure on that. Never tried it, although some seem to like it. Personally, I would play something else with 2-P, bit this is a great multiplayer!


Suggestions? WE have played a lot and like a lot and not liked a lot. We are always looking for more board games to consume.


Wow, where to start. Twilight Struggle has to be the cream of the crop, or 1960, if you want something a bit lighter. A Few Acres of Snow is pretty fantastic, as well. All the Uwe Rosenberg games are great with 2, (only tried Merkator once with a larger group). I love Troyes and Caylus with 2. San Juan is a great alternative to PR with 2.

Sure there are 110 I am leaving off, but that might be a good start.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it 2 player once (using the official varient) but I thought it was pretty good. Not all that different than play 3 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PR has an official 2-player variant. I think Ender has pretty much covered all the bases in his massive review see link Ender's Comprehensive Overview: An analysis of Puerto Rico as a two-player game, and a comparison of the most popular variants

That should give you all you need to know. For what it is worth, from my perspective PR is certainly playable with 2-players via the official variant (or using others) but I'd much rather play with 3 or more.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The official 2-player variant works very well and is quite enjoyable. But I like to adjust the official rules a little bit. Basically I play this variant (except for the quarries change) here.

Like all games not designed specifically for two players it plays better with more and there are likely some better 2-player games out there, but if you're hooked on PR or want to introduce it to a new player without throwing them to the sharks, it's still good fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
We would now play Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen, but possibly that's just us meeple


I've not heard of Burgen Burgen Burgen Burgen. Is that some new game from Sweden?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with recommending The Castles of Burgundy. Those that love PR will also love Castles of Burgandy. Castles plays well with 2-4 players. And, playing with two players is as much of a satisfying experience as playing with 3 or 4. I think Castles is much better for 2 than PR.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy is not:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.