Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

In the Designer Diary for Pirate Dice - Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings I just read some words of wisdom:

Clint Herron wrote:
small projects, [...] are entire projects -- and what I mean by that, even very small projects still incorporate the entire project development lifecycle. The lessons learned in small projects are no less valuable than the lessons learned on large projects, but the failures hurt a lot less.

This reminded me of the 24 hour rpg design challenge (http://www.24hourrpg.com/) and I wondered, whether this concept could be transferred to board game design.

Those are the rules (taken more or less from the link above):

Time Limit. One 24-hour period. If you decide to start at, say, 6:00 PM on a Thursday evening, you must call it quits by 6:00 PM the very next day. There is no "stopping the clock" for eating, sleeping, etc. There is also no "Logging 24 hours of work over a period of days". Just one planetary rotation, period. Make the most of your time.
Since noone can verify the time you've actually taken, please be honest to yourself as well as to the crowd. And remember: There are a lot of experienced designers around here that can tell, whether you are cheating or not.
Creating the Generic Racing Game within 24 hours? Credible.
Creating Merchant of Venus within 24 hours? Go, tell me more ..

No pre-planning. You may not work on your boardgame before your 24 hour period starts. This means no pre-creation of a system, no preparing vignettes or setting text, no artwork . . . nothing! It is understood that your 24 hour game may use elements of previous ideas, dreams, or game systems but you agree that all work on the game is to be done in a single 24 hour block of time.

Size Limit. What do you feel is a complete boardgame? This exercise will show the world what your concept of complete is. The goal of the 24 hour boardgame project is to create a complete boardgame and you decide, what it looks like.

You Must Do All Of the Work Yourself. This means no friends or teammates assisting you with editing or artwork. No team writing efforts. Do it yourself. Show us what you can do. Clip-art is, of course, legal. However, do not use licensed or non-public domain art as "clip art" (ie going to Clive Caldwell's site and using his "busty chick with sword" pic in your game, etc): If you're not sure whether it's legal or not, it's probably not.

Game Format. PDF. While you may write in any program you wish, please make sure upon publishing your work, that you are offering PDF files. A 24 hour game may consist of up to 2 PDF files: One for the rules, and another one for the components (if required).

=======================================================================

Questions:

1.) Is there any interest in a contest like this?
2.) What would you say is an appropriate award for the winner? Do 10 sound fair?
3.) What about an ongoing contest, that basically permits everyone to join in whenever he wishes? In that case I wouldn't award any at all, since the main incentive should be the "Yes, I did it!"-feeling and the proof to yourself, showing you the ability to create a game under those circumstances. Apart from this: You already get for creating a game entry into the DB as well as for uploading files. So a simple entry for this contest already gives you ~10 from the system

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea. I have been tempted to joining 24 or 48 hour game programming contests in the past, but it is easier to find time for the longer competitions.

If the window for starting is long enough it will be more likely that more of us will find a 24 hour slot that is reasonably free from interfering activities.

I think the important things about competitions is to find motivation to do something new, to actually complete it, and to get feedback on the design from others in the competition. Awards are less important (but symbolic gg are always nice).

Some kind of last date is good for motivation and also makes it more likely that more contestants are active around the same time to discuss the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!
I often avoid joining game design contests because of all the polish I feel obligated to make after the game itself is ready. Tight deadline actually lifts some of the responsibility

I think maybe it would be cool to place even more tighter deadline, but on game design only.
Say, 12 hours for game design, but not for art: no gameplay changes are allowed after that, but designers can draw pictures and fiddle with graphics as much as they like.

From my previous experience, struggling with graphic design software was most time-consuming part, but was not game design per se. If the game itself is good, nice redesigns are bound to follow. But if the deadline would extend to art, the players who judge the contest wouldn't be allowed to play and judge redesigned version.

So yeah. I'd make it 12 hours for pure design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be up for this - I find small scale games more interesting, and personally I'm more likely to finish something that's short and intensive.

I'm not so sure about the honour system that 24hourrpg uses though. I think I'd prefer a Ludum Dare style where the date is announced ahead of time, but the theme (and possibly contraints/mechanics/etc.) is only announced when the 24 hours starts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
I'd definitely be up for this - I find small scale games more interesting, and personally I'm more likely to finish something that's short and intensive.

I'm not so sure about the honour system that 24hourrpg uses though. I think I'd prefer a Ludum Dare style where the date is announced ahead of time, but the theme (and possibly contraints/mechanics/etc.) is only announced when the 24 hours starts

This sounds like a great idea.

A couple of years ago I participated in GameCamp 3 in London, which had a similar timed board game design competition. It was for the game on the back of the Cadbury's selection box, which was in shops Xmas 2011. The prize was a whole load of chocolate.

We only found out the design restriction on the day. It was a great day and the timed element really got the creativity revving.

As Steerpike says, we could set a date and time. The constraints/mechanics could be posted then everyone would have 24hours to post their design into the thread, before the deadline ended. It might be better to run it in a geeklist so you can restrict posting after the time limit has expired.

Look forward to it. Let me know if you would like any help setting it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hiya Kai

I think that's a brilliant idea.

Prize @ 10gg is fine! Better still, get a microbadge done and let the winner have it. Perhaps one a month?

I would be well up for it.

One saturday or sunday perhaps?

one thing I would add is that I think you would need a theme or a restriction or something like that - so that you could vet that people were at least giving it a go (fair enough they could probably just retheme one of their old games, but that's a risk to take

Give it a snappy title and some theme idea
"A dice game about dragons"
pr
"A game about gangsters"
or
"A game aimed at 2 players"

but something very reasonable (not too restricting at all).

I would be up for it

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
That might tempt me into thinking I can design a game once more (even though I know how my previous such attempts were met with no success whatsoever), definitely interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know me, I'm always up for a good design challenge.

My idea (to at least hamper the efforts of those who may be tempted to cheat) would be to have a two-week period during which players can start their 24 hours. That should accomodate everyone's different schedules. Then, post a new theme, mechanic, or other sort of restriction each day. Participants must announce that they are starting their 24-hour clock within 24 hours of the announcement of the daily restriction.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

My idea (to at least hamper the efforts of those who may be tempted to cheat) would be to have a two-week period during which players can start their 24 hours. That should accomodate everyone's different schedules. Then, post a new theme, mechanic, or other sort of restriction each day. Participants must announce that they are starting their 24-hour clock within 24 hours of the announcement of the daily restriction.

Thoughts?

NEVER!!

I prefer the "3...2....1.. GOGOGOGO!" approach personally, but can see how that could be impractical for some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Thoughts?

That would work for me, at least with a bit of luck in what two weeks are chosen. Good twist with the different themes. Will also make for more varied games. People with too much free time can gamble on waiting for a theme they like better on a later day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
People with too much free time can gamble on waiting for a theme they like better on a later day.

Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin R Maly
Germany
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
Make it 48 hours - what means a weekend. Not everyone is capable of taking off 24 h that easy. Family and work take their time. With 24 h you have to use every second.

A weekend gives you 24 h for the concept and 10 h for the realisation, grafix, text and photos.

martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

was trying to organize such an event for late summer.

You might want to contact him - I already pledged a LD-style "jam" group to the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martin1972 wrote:
Make it 48 hours - what means a weekend. Not everyone is capable of taking off 24 h that easy. Family and work take their time. With 24 h you have to use every second.

A weekend gives you 24 h for the concept and 10 h for the realisation, grafix, text and photos.

I can't remember last time I had a weekend I could dedicate to a game project like that. Must have been before the kids... With two weeks there would be the possibility of finding a reasonably good 24-hour window in one of the two weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Steerpike wrote:

I suspect participation in that style contest would 5-15% the size of participation in a 2 week window/honor system contest. (For Nate's variant, I'd up the percentages to 10-20% but no better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhodes
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like the weekend idea better than 24h but I'd probably be up for participating in any of the variants that have been suggested so far. The only reason for weekend > 24h's is just from past experiences with this type of contest for video games. A weekend gave me time for playtesting, 24h not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
nitsudrhodes wrote:
I like the weekend idea better than 24h but I'd probably be up for participating in any of the variants that have been suggested so far. The only reason for weekend > 24h's is just from past experiences with this type of contest for video games. A weekend gave me time for playtesting, 24h not so much.

Do you think any 24h RPG has been playtested before being submitted to a contest? The point is to create a potential game really. Making a fully balanced game would not only unexpected but somewhat suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

thanks for the replies so far.

Short summary + some more suggestions:

Interest is given.

Sponsors/Rewards: Personally, I like the microbadge approach. Basically we would need 2 different badges: One for the participants, one for the winners. Maybe the winners' MB looks like the participants' but with a crown? Hmm ..

Timeframe: I'd say, let's make it an ongoing contest, lasting as long as there is interest. One "phase" of that contest lasts one month. During that month, participants will have one block of 24 hours in order to present their game as a PDF via any source they choose. Creating an entry to the 'Geek is optional and may as well happen after the current phase is over.
Btw.: The whole point is, to use a 24 hour timeframe, either with or without having to work during that period. So there is not really a point in prolonging this timeframe to 48 hours. Finding a block of 24 hours during a month is in my opinion easier than finding a block of 48 hours.

Additional requirements: The day before a phase begins, additional requirements will be published (such as e.g. "the game must consist of 54 cards exactly and nothing else")

Yeah .. maybe, with a bit of luck, with the beginning of the next month, the first contest can be held
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cracking summary Kai, I'm up for it

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall monitor and hope to participate. ninja

Forcing myself to dedicate specific time, to actually making a game, could work wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Should we nail down some dates? There's already an extremely popular contest going on right now, so we should probably wait until that is done, or at least close to done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the contest is planned to be an ongoing one, everyone may join in, whenever time permits to do so

btw:
24 hour contest - June 2012

Please subscribe to and discuss in this thread:
24 hour contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
When i have a chance I'll add this to bottom of the sticky thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.