Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a (not too serious) review of the promo card “The King is attending SPIEL Essen”. You are required to fully understand the rules and tactics of Tom Wham’s game Feudality, to understand this review.

Physical Components

The game comes as a single playing card, matching exactly the size and the material as the other cards in Feudality. This is not the norm nowadays – remember the St. Petersburg expansion; they back color of the cards wasn’t even close to that of the base game! Nice to see that the producers here did a good job. And to emphasize the multi-cultural tolerance that gamers have, the card is available in German as well as in English. How cool is that?

The Graphic

Here’s a thing to complain about: it’s exactly the same image as used on many other cards of the base game. How cheap is that? Well, you get (or got) the card for free. So I reckon it’s ok. Although, I’d have loved an image of some knights and the queen doing … erm … no … probably it’s better we stay with this image. Except Tom wants to draw such an image for a special edition of the card. I’d love to have one!

The Set-up

When setting up the game, simply shuffle the new card into your existing deck. Various cool looking shuffle techniques can be found in this thread: Non-destructive shuffling techniques? How do you SHUFFLE?

The Impact on Play

If the card is drawn (and there is a fair chance that this happens in a 6 player game), the game halts for a moment. The players may now roll on the “Frakk the Queen Table” (to be found on top of the reference card of the base game) to see if one is able to score on her, or if he’s caught in the act. This is a moment in the game that is usually accompanied by a very high tension. I’ve seen hands sweating when they tried to grab and roll the dice for this decisive roll. After a player managed to do it, the schadenfreude of the successful frakker is poured out over the poor gamers that have been caught red-handed, victory points according to the table mentioned above are added or subtracted, and the card is simply discarded.

Conclusion

This card is a welcome addition to any Feudality game. It not only brings a fair amount of medieval romantic realism to the game; it also increases the thickness of the deck by one card (even more if you are a notorious sleever).

There is a drawback, however: you can’t play with your children anymore. How to explain the story behind this card? Bees and flowers … will they believe you? Or will your face become red and you start to stutter … no, it’s better to remove that card from the deck before playing with your innocent offspring. They will learn the plain truth soon enough.

All in all, I dare to rate that promo card a natural 10 out of 10 (in Camels that would be caravancaravan then).

But if you are prone to political correctness or extreme feminism, I strongly advise you not to use that promo card in your games. You won’t have any fun.

Otherwise, if you don’t have a copy of this card, go and get one. If you don’t have the base game, go and get that too! It’s one of the frakkin’ best and funniest games published in 2011. Believe me. I know. Even if I never managed to successfully frakk the queen … I wonder why …

Thanks for reading meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemens Franz
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! But it's not the same picture ... I've hidden a very thematic detail. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavericius wrote:
Great review! But it's not the same picture ... I've hidden a very thematic detail. ninja

Yes, another thing to complain about - this game is using eight-sided dice meeple

What were you frakkin' thinking???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.