BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Local alternative to Artscow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roz Valdez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As much as I like crafting, building decks for card games is really tiring. Unfortunately, I can't use Artscow because I don't have a credit card and I don't want to experience the horror stories about customs.

So last Friday, I emailed sample card images to all local printing shops I could find. The shop should have ID card printing services, this is important because they have the equipment for rounding corners. Lo and behold! After 1 day someone emailed me back saying that they are willing to try to make a deck of personalized deck for me. But they still need a few days to figure out the whole process.

And just today they sent me a picture of the sample card (shown below). Their rate is 3.50php (0.08usd) per card. Pretty cheap just as long as I pick-up my order (I need to add 200php to send it through a courier)!

I also tried printing some cards in the photo developing shop. I chose to print it in 3R (3.5" x 5") and in linen paper. I used 3R because I only need to make 1 cut per 2 cards. I did the cutting and pasting myself. It costs 6php (0.14usd) per card for printing not including the spray adhesive. It looks really really good! I can't seem to stop looking at them. For those who wants to do it this way just make sure that your size image is correct, for 3R that would be 1050 × 1500 px at 300dpi. I'll post a picture later.

Now, if I could just find a local seller of wooden game bits and tokens...

note: The sample card is from Intrigue a game from Aether Captains: Triad by Todd Sanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are really lucky to find a local printer willing to do decks of cards - specially that cheap! I hope the finished work is as awesome as that picture!

I didn't use Artscow *yet*, but I was considering running a test with photographic paper like you did. Glad to see it works well.

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Meneely
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Squib is my Ruby library for prototyping tabletop games
badge
I spent 100 geek gold on this and I can't think of what to say here.
mbmbmbmbmb
$0.08 per card is really good. The Game Crafter does $0.09/card, so definitely comparable. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roz Valdez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I think I'm really lucky to find them.

Maybe you could try contacting printing shops near you even if making card decks is not in their listed services.

I emailed 5 printing shops and only 3 of them replied.
The first shop I emailed an inquiry 2 weeks ago. Their 1st reply was in capslock then the 2nd was in filipino version of l33t. I also had to wait for 1 week for each reply. I wasn't impressed by their customer service so I decided to just send out emails to other shops. And I attached a really nice looking card sample just so they'll know I'm a serious customer.

I chose the 2nd shop that replied because they were prompt in replying to my emails. They were also honest to tell me that they still need to do some test prints first because they haven't done this before. They also gave a lower price rate compared to the first shop.

And finally the pictures of the cards printed from the photo developing shop:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.