Subject: Kansas Freetown under seige rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite often look at Wikipedia’s ‘on this day’ articles, all kinds of historical curios in there.

Today they have this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacking_of_Lawrence which is a subject I’d not heard of before in the particular and, while I suppose I would have surmised it would have existed in general, wasn’t really aware of such towns.

Anyway, it sounds like a fascinating little story and quite well suited to a game treatment. Lots of victory conditions present themselves and depending on the license one was allowed potentially very varied tactics.

Any games on this incident or similar? I suppose almost any large scale Old West gunfight could be similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article:
"The first shot was fired from a cannon on the opposite side of Massachusetts Street by David Rice Atchison, but it failed to hit the building. About fifty shots were afterwards fired with little effect upon the solid walls."

And off in the distance, at the future location of Allen Fieldhouse, a crowd could be heard chanting, "Airball!" and "Suck it Tigers!"

I can't believe I said something pro-K.U...I think I'm going to puke. Benjro, you'd better be tipping generously with the GG if you want to see any such jibba-jabba again. (Seriously, what got into me?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially the Civil War started with the bombardment of Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861. However the east was late to the party. For many the civil war started with the Battle of Black Jack just south of Lawrence in 1856. It was the first time organized units fought over slavery with one side led by John Brown. Lawrence was the center of what became known as Bleeding Kansas. The violence came to a bloody climax in 1863 with the Lawrence Massacre when William Quantrill killed 200 men and boys in the town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre

Great book on the subject is Bleeding Kansas: Contested Liberty in the Civil War Era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas, which is the closest town to the Battle of Black Jack battlefield. A former history professor/archivist always maintained that the Battle of Black Jack was the first Battle of the Civil War.

Brian-Thanks for the book info. I've always wanted to do deeper research/reading in Civil War (moreso than the regular history lessons one gets growing up in Kansas, and I 'focused' on Contemporary US Military/Political history) and that looks like a great place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about them Towns, Village, Cities that were 'extorted' by the 'Confederacy' during the war? I seem to recall a few that finally "paid off the Bonds" about this decades much later, for themselves on that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perfect scenario, indeed!
I forwarded your post to my friend in Beaverlick, Wyoming:
http://beaverlick.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The vicious suffering of Bleeding Kansas is the setting of the extraordinary film, "Pharoah's Army":
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/29495/item/1414884#ite...

As IMDB comments:
"Armies are not filled with murdering psychopaths. Good people can be driven to do bad things. The story chronicles the pathology of war, how escalating events can trigger unasked-for tragedy. Based on a true story about a southern child who shot and killed a union soldier during the Civil War."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Officially the Civil War started with the bombardment of Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861. However the east was late to the party. For many the civil war started with the Battle of Black Jack just south of Lawrence in 1856. It was the first time organized units fought over slavery with one side led by John Brown. Lawrence was the center of what became known as Bleeding Kansas. The violence came to a bloody climax in 1863 with the Lawrence Massacre when William Quantrill killed 200 men and boys in the town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre

Great book on the subject is Bleeding Kansas: Contested Liberty in the Civil War Era.

A great book on Quantrill is The Devil Knows How To Ride: The True Story Of William Clarke Quantril And His Confederate Raiders by Edward E. Leslie.

Most Quantrill books have a decidedly pro-Kansas or pro-Missouri slant. I found this out when I did a research paper on him in History of Kansas class at college. Leslie isn't from Missouri or Kansas. He's from Quantrill's boyhood home (Dover, Ohio), so he has no dog in the fight, and takes a lot of bias out of it.

There were really sleazy dudes back then on both sides. (All the good folks moved to Manhattan, Ks ... thought I'd add that factoid).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.