EduArdo Murruy
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. I tried the playtest version of this game and one thing i really liked was the tap mecanism. You had to think wich units you would use, granting that maybe you had some untapped creatures to do "opportunity attacks" or immediate actions. Now you untap them at the end of turn also...

Doesn't this new Mechanic kill this layer of strategy? What about the creatures that could untap at the end of yout turn? Was that skill taken off the game?

Tks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have played the Playtest Version a few times. The Tap mechanism seemed to work great. The cards could have been clearer on when the Tap was actually applied, but it certainly added a layer of complexity to the game that was very welcome.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's dumb that people have this preconceived notion that you should only tap once because that's how games have been. Tapping in this DnD game isn't really like tapping in other games. For simplicities sake I'll just use Magic generically to cover other games.

Untap once per your turn (Magic)
Positioning (Why this works 1): You have an abstract positioned army. When you are attacked, you choose who (if anyone) will block. This created a give and take senario where you send some guys out, but keep some guys for defense.
Life (Why this works 2): Your guys blocking for you takes away their life. They are a meat shield for you. You reserve some guys to block so you don't take damage.

Untap twice per your turn (this DnD game)
Sidenote: This isn't really as simple as untap twice per turn. Once at the beginning and once at the end is significantly different from twice per your turn. It's actually more closely related to once per any players turn... you or your enemy.
Positioning (Why this works 1): You are positioning your pieces on a map. As such, when you defend, you defend with the person the enemy has sent in range of your attacked unit. You cannot reserve half your army to defend, because they can't step in the way to defend when the enemy just walks straight up to a tired guy. If you STILL have trouble understanding this concept, thing of your classing paper/pencil RPG. Commonly, you can attack once per turn, and dodge/parry/whatever once per turn (yes, games usually have nuances beyond this). This tap system is just a visual way to represent who has used their one attack and once defense.
Life (Why this works 2): Your morale is your life. Your units dieing damages you. So you don't defend the same way as magic. I'm not even sure how to explain why this difference is so important and so obvious.

Basically, both these games have a different core system to how your "summoner" and your "monsters" work. The tapping system in both of these is perfectly suited to the core mechanics of the game. So go ahead and tap twice per your turn in Magic, and once in this version of DnD, and just see how sucky the game becomes.

It's annoying when people get so bull headed over a mechanic having to work a specific way. Round pegs may be the perfect grip pegs for their smoothness, but they really suck when trying to fit in square holes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, didn't realize. Should have realized. Thanks for calling me on my bs.

I stand by the overall point that one should not jump to conclusions that a mechanic that's bad for one game is wrong for another. But that point should not be taken as a personal attack on anyone in this thread. If anything, I'm just insulting myself by showing an assumption that these comments were made regarding final rules. My apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.