12 Posts

Zooloretto» Forums » General

Subject: Zooloretto vs Settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools

Hi all! A fairly newbie to this great site. I am looking into this but also Settlers of Catan, i could be very wrong but to me they seem similar. I play with people around the same age (23-28) They are not massive gamers by any means but just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice on what would be better? I know both need expansion packs for more players which is a factor too..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
(Um they are quite different but both target the 'gateway gamer'/casual gamer market.)

I bought Zooloretto but we found that while it had some neat mechanics it really wasn't that good for an adults only group - a little too light without any real tension.

For that age group you'd probably get lots more out of Catan. Unfortunately, despite the extension and my love for the game, Settlers is poor with more than 4 players due to how long it takes to play and the added downtime.

If you're playing with 5 players I'd strongly recommend Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride: Europe. (It's really not that trainey, is a fun game and simple to learn with a good bit of luck and strategy.)

Can you tell us how many players you are hoping to play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zooloretto plays 2-5 out of the box.

Settlers of Catan plays 3-4 out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Repeated from the Catan thread:

They are the same, just like night and day, or like black and white.

The games are very different, just look at the domains, mechanics and categories here on the geek:

Settlers:
Subdomain: Family Games/Strategy Games
Category: Negotiation
Mechanic: Dice Rolling, Hand Management, Modular Board, Route/Network Building, Trading

Zooloretto:
Subdomain: Family Games
Category: Animals
Mechanic: Set Collection, Tile Placement

Zooloretto is for 2-5 player with out any expansions. The expansions changes the game, but does not add any more players. In any case the expansions should not all be used at the same time. The designer suggests using 0-2 expansions, and on zooloretto.com you can see which expansions works together. The game still stays the same, just with a twist based on which expansions you include.

Settlers is for 3-4 players without any expansions. There is an expansion for 5-6 players, but the game tends to drag with 5-6 players, and I would rather play something else with 5+ players. The Seafarers expansion adds more of the same, with a twist. Cities & Knights changes the game into something completely different. The rest of the expansions I haven't tried.

Get them both...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is 2-5 players. Settlers is 3-4 players and can be expanded to 5-6 players. It has a variant for 2 players, but honestly, it's not the same game.

Settlers has a good deal of direct player interaction - trades, shutting down opponents' production, stealing cards. Zooloretto has very little direct interaction - buying another player's barn animal is about it. There's a good deal of indirect interaction in the form of jockeying for board position in Settlers or jockeying for truck acquisition in Zooloretto.

The luck in Settlers is in rolling dice. It's prominent enough to alter the outcome of the game. Settlers is not a game of pure skill. The luck in Zooloretto is in randomly drawing tiles from a bag. It's impact on the game is minor.

Settlers is about resource production and then trading in those resources for points. Zooloretto is about acquiring and placing tiles.

I love the Settlers expansions, but I find the Zooloretto expansions to be a bit lacking.

My Settlers sessions have been in the 45-90 minute range with just the base game and 75-120 minutes with expansions. My Zooloretto games have been in the 30-60 minute range with just the base game and 45-60 minutes with expansions.

I think both are great gateway games and are playable with older kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto gets stale quickly without expansions (I like to play with the Extra Enclosures, Petting Zoo, and Polar Bear from the First Expansion Pack).

If I had to choose between Zooloretto and Settlers, I'd definitely pick up Settlers, but I'd also look at grabbing a copy of Coloretto (the relatively-inexpensive card game that Zooloretto was based on) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
I'm pretty much in agreement with all that I've thumbed here; so the only things new I have to add are:
-since the subject of "tension" was mentioned, I find Zooloretto and its offspring far more tense than anything in the Catan series
-I find that both Catan and Zooloretto work equally well with "adults only" [ ]crowds, as well as children
For the record, my personal preference of the two is Zooloretto....and it's been a while since I've played it with children!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Casson wrote:

Hi all! A fairly newbie to this great site. I am looking into this but also Settlers of Catan, i could be very wrong but to me they seem similar. I play with people around the same age (23-28) They are not massive gamers by any means but just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice on what would be better? I know both need expansion packs for more players which is a factor too..

Age group, I don't think they make much of a difference. Zool is probably more childish since it's got cute animals, while SoC has a more adult theme due to it's theme of exploring a new island (that isn't Pokemon, Digimon, and whatever else the dickens kids are into these days). Nothing is truly adult here since unlike movies and vid games, you won't find hookers and such.

Zool is a shorter game overall. SoC can be quick, but I've noticed 45min. to 2 hours is about right, with 2 hrs being rare. Zool maxes out at about 75min. Zool explains somewhat shorter than SoC, whereas I hear others explain the game and it takes 15 min. Players will be able o pick up on 97% of what they need within the 1st few turns total, so they're both easy enough.

SoC... if they're not going to be into player trading, then better to go with Zool. Try to anticipate this and choose accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools
Hi! Wow thank you ALL for amazing info and advice! It means a lot. what do you mean by "Zool explains somewhat shorter than SoC, whereas I hear others explain the game and it takes 15 min." is that explanation times for how to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools
I just want to say thanks! Your information has been amazing! i havent made my choice just yet but i will! i will delete this thread if possible.

Thanks for your Time
Thomas Casson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
Thomas Casson wrote:
I just want to say thanks! Your information has been amazing! i havent made my choice just yet but i will! i will delete this thread if possible.

Thanks for your Time
Thomas Casson

No need to delete, Thomas: others may find themselves with the same dilemma as you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Casson wrote:
Hi! Wow thank you ALL for amazing info and advice! It means a lot. what do you mean by "Zool explains somewhat shorter than SoC, whereas I hear others explain the game and it takes 15 min." is that explanation times for how to play?
Yeah, explains is time for explanation of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.