David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
He loved it!

"Daddy, do remember when the Hulk smacked the guy in the face?"
(he said whilst slapping himself in the face)
"It was so funny!"

A good bonding moment.

My question: Do you think he was too young for the PG-13 movie?

My answer (other than mind your own business) is no... I asked a bunch of people about cursing, etc... IMO Avengers is on par with PowerPuff Girls... in terms of violence...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
If he starts swearing you can always blame Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I kind of think superheroes are rather kid friendly. Not so much anything I like much but lots of other people do. I heard that movie did well and was a blast to watch.

First, I'm unimpressed with movies as an entertainment form and I've seen a few. Second, I saw the trailer and as someone who could not stand sitting through The Dark Knight and only mildly enjoyed Iron Man (but would now view it as a waste of time) the trailer for The Avengers left me with "This is what they are into now?" I did enjoy watching Batman: the animated series.

Take Shelter or War Horse were the last movies I saw in the theaters that I liked... in other words summer movies aren't my thing. More and more I'm thinking movies in general really aren't my thing.

I enjoy the interactive nature of board games and the replayability.

I disagree with the attitudes in the movie industry towards their consumers and fans, the decision-making process they use leading to the decisions they make, and would also obtain and spend the bulk of the money they are spending in different ways.

They don't often care about writers or a great original story line.

Until they change this their industry is slowly dying. The success of The Avengers included in that picture.

Compare and contrast the boardgame industry with the movie industry and the pc game industry. These are industries that cater to adults heavily as well. (Forget console games that one caters a lot to kids and a lower age range). How do you think the boardgame industry is doing? I'd say healthy and growing.

PS: Yeah I know about Kick-Ass. They tried so hard to make superheroes more adult but the basic idea of them just isn't. You grow to like them when you are a kid. I was never exposed to them and therefore do not. I would be interested to know why someone would grow to like them as an adult. I didn't "get" Unbreakable at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here see the anime "Kite"?

Some guy came in w/his VERY young daughter (single digit age) when we were watching it at a con during the bathroom scene. He left at the end of that scene saying: "I think we'll come back later"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Avengers is fine, assuming the kid likes comic books (there's a lot of dialogue to sit through, and a lot of characters. A 4yo who loves comics will eat that up). Otherwise, too long.

Let's break it down

Language -- A lot of the cursing will go over the kids heads. (Come to think of it, how many adults will realize what Loki meant when he called Black Widow a "mewling quim?" Take the Shakespeare out of it, that's hard core cursing. I thought it was a pretty funny joke about how they speak). I don't remember any other graphic language, but I don't really care about this so I doubt the odd "Damn" will stand out.

Sex -- I doubt a 4yo will be as interested in Black Widow as your average 13 yo.

Violence -- Pretty comic-bookie. I don't think anyone has a problem with killing aliens or superheroes fighting supervillians (in a comic book movie). However, The scene in Germany is pretty creepy (not graphic, but implied horrible) and a few bad guys die (screaming, no less) as well as a few spoilerific things.

PG-13 is a pretty wide rating. I suspect that if it's a comic-book movie its fine for young kids (assuming a kid-friendly hero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
I don't know. I kind of think superheroes are rather kid friendly. Not so much anything I like much but lots of other people do. I heard that movie did well and was a blast to watch.

First, I'm unimpressed with movies as an entertainment form and I've seen a few. Second, I saw the trailer and as someone who could not stand sitting through The Dark Knight and only mildly enjoyed Iron Man (but would now view it as a waste of time) the trailer for The Avengers left me with "This is what they are into now?" I did enjoy watching Batman: the animated series.

Take Shelter or War Horse were the last movies I saw in the theaters that I liked... in other words summer movies aren't my thing. More and more I'm thinking movies in general really aren't my thing.

I enjoy the interactive nature of board games and the replayability.

I disagree with the attitudes in the movie industry towards their consumers and fans, the decision-making process they use leading to the decisions they make, and would also obtain and spend the bulk of the money they are spending in different ways.

They don't often care about writers or a great original story line.

Until they change this their industry is slowly dying. The success of The Avengers included in that picture.

Compare and contrast the boardgame industry with the movie industry and the pc game industry. These are industries that cater to adults heavily as well. (Forget console games that one caters a lot to kids and a lower age range). How do you think the boardgame industry is doing? I'd say healthy and growing.

PS: Yeah I know about Kick-Ass. They tried so hard to make superheroes more adult but the basic idea of them just isn't. You grow to like them when you are a kid. I was never exposed to them and therefore do not. I would be interested to know why someone would grow to like them as an adult. I didn't "get" Unbreakable at all.

You criticize the lack of good writing and good plots, but you liked War Horse, and disliked The Dark Knight and Unbreakable (which are, IMO, way above average by that criteria)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

My answer (other than mind your own business) is no... I asked a bunch of people about cursing, etc... IMO Avengers is on par with PowerPuff Girls... in terms of violence...

It depends on the movie. avengers and green lantern handled things differently on eyeball torture. Avengers showed enough to get the idea across, green lantern showed a syringe going into an eyeball.

Avengers, my son left saying it was the greatest move ever, GL, he asked to leave the theatre when the eyeball scene came up (I still haven't seen the end of that movie). Comics are for kids and kids at heart, they should expect kids are going to see them if they are making toys, happy meals and t-shirts for them, and plan accordingly like avengers did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WackyBanana wrote:
Anyone here see the anime

NO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
He loved it!

"Daddy, do remember when the Hulk smacked the guy in the face?"
(he said whilst slapping himself in the face)
"It was so funny!"

A good bonding moment.

-DK

This comes down to every kid is different, every parent is different. My Daughter is 5. Would I take her? probably not... Maybe when she's 6 or 7.

Part of it is violence, but it's more about what they'll get out of it. I saw empire strikes back when I was 5, and I clearly remember being annoyed by all the "talking parts", why wasn't it just 2hrs of lightsabre fights and spaceships. WTF?"

Thats basically what my 5 year old mind wanted. I remember pestering my older brother as to when "the good parts were coming" and him constantly shushing me.

I use that as a bench mark... Also some kids tend to have nightmares over certain things, and some don't.

My older brother was at a friend's place for dinner, the husband was watching band of brothers, with his (then) 3 year old. He was floored.

I also know a couple who's oldest daughter is (I believe) 8 or 9, and gets very emotional during movies, even disney fair. She (the mother) doesn't know what to do with her. Even watchng Tangled, she got scared during a few scenes. Apparently her younger kids follow suit, and don't like "Scary parts" and such.

So you need to personally gauge the kids themselves. I want to watch Star Wars with my daughter, but I'm waiting. Because A) I don't want to get halfway through and hear "daddy, this is boring" or "i'm scared" or whatever. and B) I want her to at least understand the movie, rather then it just being eye candy of spaceships and lightsabres.

P.S. - When I went to see "Gladiator" there were 5 year old kids in that theatre. I couldn't believe it. Also when I went to see "Alive" someone brought their baby, and left within 10 minutes as the kid was wailing and crying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I saw one of the early Hellraiser movies (when they were still good) in the theater, and someone had brought their toddler along. Poor thing was SCREAMING in terror in the entire time. That really is a form of child abuse, even if it did add to the ambiance of the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
too young IMO but that is why Parental Guidance exists. Your kid, your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

Since you asked, I'll give you my answer.

Definitely too young. Perhaps 7 or 8 would be okay. I read through the reason for the rating over at kids-in-mind.com. I realize that every kid is different. Mine would sure know exactly what was going on and be pretty upset that people's eyes were being removed and everyone was beating each other up.

He also likes to use new words in sentences -- words that you don't even realize were said. If it's new, he picks up on it.

There's a reason for the rating system -- the film industry thinks that kids need some guidance if they're under 13 and watch this. Maybe that's while they're watching or maybe, if they're older, it's on the ride home. The industry thinks kids 7 and under need some guidance for a PG movie. Are these strict guidelines? No, because every kid is different and maybe sex wouldn't both some children but violence would, etc.

I see my kid's behavior change when he watches a more violent cartoon. So what do we do? Not allow that cartoon anymore. I see his friends at school act out things they saw with their parents at the theater. Then they get in trouble for fighting. Sure it was their parents' call, but it's affecting my child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.