Popular Tags: Schadenfreude [+] [View All]
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the wife had her baby shower yesterday, and im still amazed with all the stuff we got. it took 3 cars to bring it all home, and the furniture hasnt even been delivered!!!

really, this is just a cleverly disguised thread for me to complain that i havent had enough time for gaming.

thank god for my ipad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
...you have no idea...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Truth of it is that babies need hardly any stuff at all.

Some easy to wash clothes.
A blanket and some stuffed animals to fall in love with.

That's really about it.

You'll want to have lots of absorbent towels. Cloth diapers are actually the best. Wet wipes are also very handy - buy them in bulk.

You might need a whole bunch of stuff to make you feel ready and prepared but you really don't. Most of it will hardly get used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
After having two children myself, I often tell prospective parents: "It's not the kids that are so expensive and take up so much room -- it's all the requisite servicing equipment."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
What our consumer culture tells you babies need and what babies actually need are two vastly different things. For example, my boss and her husband successfully raised their son while owning a single Toyota Corolla between them, which was perfectly adequate to carry all the kid stuff (disclaimer: parents of a budding tuba player may have a somewhat different experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
After having two children myself, I often tell prospective parents: "It's not the kids that are so expensive and take up so much room -- it's all the requisite servicing equipment."

Don't forget the extended warranty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont think we got anything that wont get used.

we really didnt get alot of junk.
stroller, crib, car seat, sheets, etc.

no diapers tho. pretty surprised by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are 10 and 13. We are still in the process of paying down the home equity line we took out to cover their expenses as infants.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Just to add, if your wife is planning on nursing get her a really, really nice water bottle.

Of all the things I used with my kids, my most useful purchase (besides the car seat) was the super-deluxe jogging stroller with really big wheels. I attached a folding bike basket with velcro straps to the back, and used it solidly for 6 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you now that baby crap is not holy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I can tell you now that baby crap is not holy.

Unholy, some might say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the stuff that you "need" for your baby is to make your life easier. So think of it as gifts for yourself so that a baby isn't quite so inconvenient.

If you want a list of things that I was very glad to have PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

That's really about it.

You forgot food and water, you negligent bastard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since both me and the wife like to make lists, PM incoming.

our stroller has big wheels as well. we needed something that would go over all types of terrain, especially since i usually play alot of music festivals in the summer. we went with the uppa baby vista. i think we made a good choice.

oh...here's a question...how well to diaper pails work on containing baby stink? we got a diaper dekor (i think thats the name) for the shower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:

oh...here's a question...how well to diaper pails work on containing baby stink? we got a diaper dekor (i think thats the name) for the shower.

We had a diaper genie. That thing was awesome.
Yeah your gaming time is in severe jeopardy. My freelance work suffered 10,000 dollars the first year I had a kid. Oh and a second child, you think will only be a little tougher, but it is exponentially tougher. If you do it, wait til the first is around 3 so they can at least help you.

My mom had 3 in diapers at once... it drove her mad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
im gonna teach him how to play ghost stories when he's 1 day old in the hospital.

it could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

That's really about it.

You'll want to have lots of absorbent towels. Cloth diapers are actually the best. Wet wipes are also very handy - buy them in bulk.

You might need a whole bunch of stuff to make you feel ready and prepared but you really don't. Most of it will hardly get used.

Car seat? High chair? Changing table? Crib? Playpen? Swing? A room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

That's really about it.

You don't need a car seat just take that blanket, stuffed animals and the easy to wash clothes and wrap your baby until you make a giant ball, and then stuff it down into the foot-well. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zip ties + car grill = secure baby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I very highly recommend Baby Bargins. It's the best $11.16 you'll ever spend. It tells you what you really need (and how much of it), what's "optional," and what is a complete waste of money and space, but everyone seems to want to buy it anyway. It also tells gives reviews on brand names for quality, re-usability, and price. Buy it. Please.*

* I am not in any way associated with the publisher, people, or anything. Just a parent who greatly benefited from the book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

That's really about it.

We didn't get a playpen or a swing and had no regrets about it. Many go without a changing table (though I loved mine, especially in the early days), crib, or a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

That's really about it.

You forgot food and water, you negligent bastard!

That's what boobies are for. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
We had a diaper genie. That thing was awesome.

+1!

Mind you, it didn't completely seal off all the odor, but it reduced it to a tolerable level. And it was easy to dump the "string of pearls" into a garbage bag for final disposal.

We found that a changing table was a great help, especially for two parents in their early 40s who needed to reduce the strain of bending over multiple times each day for two kids in diapers.

In total we had the Diaper Genie, a changing table, a crib, two infant car seats, one infant carrier, two strollers, and a large diaper bag for travel, which we found filled our needs just right. When the kids got too big we passed the car infant seats on to a relative and replaced them with booster seats. We kept the boosters until the kids finally outgrew them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Bankler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Diaper Champ. It uses regular trash bags, so you don't have to buy special bags. You can also use one hand. I didn't have problems with smells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
zip ties + car grill = secure baby

It was tried a week or two ago here in Indiana. Maybe if the idiots weren't drinking, it might have worked.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120509/NEWS02/205090329/Po...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.