Subject: General Comment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
This is becoming a club favorite since a lot of people can play (up to eight). We tried a variant of instead of running three one lap races we ran a three lap race taking ten cards per lap (you pick up when you cross the starting line). On the original track this did not play that well since the leaders tended to keep the lead with little chance of changing positions. However when we played them on the expansion tracks it became a really, really tight race with at least two "dead" horses and the winner being determined on the final corner. A solid 8 out of ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Re:General Comment
Chris Kovac (#936), You really want to like this one. But for some reason i just can't quite get into it. Maybe because i wish there was more detail and more control. The starting cards are given to you completely randomly and the dice rolls are random. You do get to do lane changes however. But for the most part it doesn't move me to want to pay deluxe prices for an average style racing game. Too many times in the game players felt abit helpless. That's not really a good thing. Dice gods be favourable...or else!
Not dire but not recommendable unless more detail is added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 (#17201),

I think you're exaggerating the luck element. Yes, your first hand of cards is random, but over the course of three races (and there's no point in playing fewer than three races) you'll see every card in the deck, and everyone has the same deck. So if you start with a bad hand, you know your second or third hand will be much better. And of course the one-time ability to draw two extra cards helps offset the luck when you get one really bad hand.

The comment about the dice makes me wonder if you're playing with the right rules: one player rolls the dice, chooses one or both, and every player moves that distance. The main result is that the player who rolled gets to influence the pace of the race (fast or slow), based on what cards he has left and what cards he thinks the other players have left: if he has lots of high cards left, he'll want to slow the race down (by picking the lower number), but if he's running out of good cards, he'll want to speed up by picking the sum. An additional benefit is if the player rolls a 9 or higher and is not handicapped, he can choose the sum and force the handicapped horses to slow down. Yes, this can be pretty nasty, but it doesn't happen often, and it only hurts the leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
DougOrleans (#17302), It's not a game where you want all high cards or low cards actually. It's a game that requires the right mix and giving all starting cards randomly is a real pain. My suggested variant is to select half your hand at the start of each round. I'd like to think this would improve your odds of not having a horrible set of starting cards. And yes, we have been doing the dice and move correctly. In key situations, when an opponent makes a certain roll that puts you in a bad situation, which your less than balanced starting cards cannot help you, a sense of frustration sets in. At that point you begin to wonder if you should be yelling out Yathzee. Kidding. But not by much. Again, this is an expensive game that felt very average in play and not good value. I expected more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.