9 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: can I rename countries? (no unhidden spoilers please) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally getting into the 'This is your world' thing. I was wondering if along with naming the sea areas, maybe my group could rename countries. I was thinking of writing the 'new' name for a country in parenthesis under the original name, both on the board and on the territory cards, or even putting a line through the original name and writing the new name underneath.

We're playing our first game 2 on Wednesday.

Vets: without spoiling anything, would this be cool?

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
This would not dramatically effect anything (though note you'd have to change the name on the matching resource card as well). It would messy up the board some though, and it's going to get kinda messy over the course of the campaign anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
This would not dramatically effect anything (though note you'd have to change the name on the matching resource card as well). It would messy up the board some though, and it's going to get kinda messy over the course of the campaign anyway.

I don't mind that. In fact, I'm going to be viewing this campaign as a sort of 'snapshot' of these 6 weeks of early Summer 2012

So a messy board is just more stuff to make me smile when I dig it out in 20 years lol.

I've also written lots of clarifications etc in the rulebook, and will be handing it round the table during play for any of the group to scrawl comments, graffiti, 'Eco sucks!' etc in.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a great idea--we are playing our 13th game this weekend and we are thinking about naming the oceans (as long as their shore is on a territory you hold etc.) as "hung on" prizes...

Country names are the next step now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I one of my games, someone took the reward for naming Australia and then began to refer to the two territories that mention Australia by this new name instead. On the back of faction cards, this also became a thing (either using a modified name based on a continent, or from a city). However, this made it quite confusing in retrospect when we tried to figure out where people had actually started.

Player signs the board twice spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...and as you may know from opening the packet with homeland rules, this can be quite a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you write the new country names on the board and thevterritory cards, or were you just remembering them?

If everything is clearly marked, it shouldn't be a problem?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The problem (as I read it) is that this was a change that happened after several games. So people who started in Western Australia in early games wrote "Western Australia" on the back of their faction cards. Then at some point someone named that oceanic continent "Outer Funktonia". And then people started to write thinks like "Eastern Outer Funktonia" on the back of their faction cards.

Thus at some point in the game when it might become relevant to assess the history of where factions started, it becomes harder to retrace when the regions are not static because of non-game-sanctioned modifications.

This is largely the sort of thing that's making me uneasy about all the blind modifications you're trying to make to your game in advance. The taller the house of cards you build on this foundation that you KNOW is going to be changing, the harder it's going to be to sort things out and rebuild it if conflicts arise and you find the new foundation no longer supports your house. And because you're trying to make changes the rules never sanction, there will be no official remedy out there if you find yourself stuck.

The game customizes itself enough. You don't need to keep on trying to find ways to outpace the game's customizations with your own customizations and then hoping they won't conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We renamed a few countries today. We houseruled that at the end of every game, anyone who Held On rolled a die and the highest got to rename a country he controlled at the end of the game. We put a single line through the name of the original country on the board and on the territory card, and wrote the new name underneath it.

The original names are always going to be visible on both the board and the card, so hopefully it'll be easy enough to refer to the originals when the need arises.

Western Europe is now called 'Creme bonjour', and Madagascar is 'Bear Island', which I personally feel improves the place no end.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We have now opened the packet including the Homeland rules, and as far as i see it, since there isn't any obvious way to know what territories are in what continents without either knowing them or looking at the board, what we're doing isn't too bad.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.