Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It's time for me to pass the crown of Miss America name a new Wolf of the Week. You may know him as the moderator of the immensely popular "Hi, I want to play Werewolf online" series, or you may have been lynched by him in Game 1500. I present to you,
Ron
United States
flag msg tools

linguistfromhell wrote:
Hi out there. As the avatar indicates, my name is Ron Hills. I'm originally from Montana, although I haven't spent as much time there as I'd like over the last twenty years. I joined the Army straight out of high school and the recruiter suckered me into becoming a military linguist. Sounds nifty, but it's a black hole - if you fall into the wrong language, you can never leave. So, in spite of some of the wonderfully cool things that have come along in the last 20 years, I'm still testing for fluency every year. Shrug.

So I can listen and read Arabic, thanks to Uncle Sam. Since joining the service, I've been to California, Texas, Maryland, Georgia, Germany, Kuwait and Iraq. And yes, Kuwait is hotter than you ever want to live - I remember it being 140 in the shade one day. Bleah. And that's why my nick is linguistfromhell. I started my second-ever email account that day, and if 140 isn't hell, it's close enough.

I've got no kids, no significant others, and no pets (and no ex'es). I'm a packrat of sorts and I've gathered all kinds of things - a mustang, a motorcycle, a pc, a projector for my dvd player and my xbox, an above-ground pool ... the list goes on.

But games. Let's see. I don't remember my first boardgame, but I remember my first RPG. My dad bought Star Frontiers when it first came out, and I was a Vrusk Medic. After that 'starter campaign', I started running games with friends, and it's been 30 years now of being the 'responsible' one, buying the game or owning it. My earliest boardgame memories are the shelves in my grandparents' house that were board versions of television shows from the 40s and 50s. They're so old (and were so bad, apparently), that I can't even find most of them on the geek. LOL. My first "big game" was when my neighbor got Axis and Allies and since then, I've been entranced. Sadly, it's not as good as it sounds - it's not as easy to find people to game with anymore. Being older is part of it. Fraternization rules are part of it. Wacky schedules. Shrug. Etc., etc.

I have four more years of Army, then I need to find another job. But in the meantime, I have a room where every wall is a shelf filled with games. Too bad I collect more than I play. Heh.

So, some of my favorite games?
AH's Starship Troopers
Mega Supremacy
FFG's Arkham Horror
Descent / Mansions of Madness
Civilization (any of the three versions - AH, Eagle, FFG)
Iron Dragon
Epic Duels
I try not to hate games, but lately, the one that makes me cringe the most is Power Grid.

RPGs?
VG's James Bond
Babylon 5
Classic World of Darkness (preferably all mixed together)
7th Sea
Mechwarrior
And on the opposite extreme, anything with the d20 label or style of play.

Movies?
John Carpenter's The Thing
Blade Runner
Indiana Jones
... too many more to list (I have like 900 DVDs). Besides, I don't like picking favorites. If I want to watch something rom-com-ish, The Thing isn't even on the list, for example. My favorites are always situational.

TV Shows?
Babylon 5
L&O: Criminal Intent
MASH
BBC's Sherlock
Smallville
House
... etc.

Is this enough? LOL. Go ahead. Ask questions. I dare ya.

Poll
Two truths and a lie.
1. I placed at the national level in business club competitions every year in high school.
2. I watch the 'preview' channel more than actual television shows.
3. I have been at the center of the field, holding the National Colors, at the opening of multiple NFL games.
      29 answers
Poll created by ChickenSedan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations!

What part of Montana are you from? I grew up in the Flathead Valley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Congratulations!

What part of Montana are you from? I grew up in the Flathead Valley.

Urgh. That's a story in and of itself. I lived in White Sulphur Springs, Laurel, then Colstrip. I spent most of my time in school in Colstrip, but my mom lives in Missoula, so I have been all over the state - including the Flathead Valley, where an aunt and an uncle live. Heh.

Nice to meet another 'native'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary question coming:

You're the moderator of a P11. If you could choose the cast from amongst the living, dead, real or imagined, who would you choose? What roles would they have? Which team would win? What would be the all-star play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Guenhwyvhar wrote:

You're the moderator of a P11. If you could choose the cast from amongst the living, dead, real or imagined, who would you choose? What roles would they have? Which team would win? What would be the all-star play?

Isn't that supposed to be:

Legen ... wait for it ... dary.

?

And yeah, I was warned about you and your wacky question. I already have a few names put together and I'll be able to have something today/tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:

Isn't that supposed to be:

Legen ... wait for it ... dary.

?

And yeah, I was warned about you and your wacky question. I already have a few names put together and I'll be able to have something today/tomorrow.

I was legendary before Barney Stinson was a known entity.

So yeah, he's totally copying off of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Guenhwyvhar wrote:

I think one of the qualifications for actually being legendary is being so well-known that people would be able to back up your claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:

I think one of the qualifications for actually being legendary is being so well-known that people would be able to back up your claim.

Does that qualify as an internet-burn, or should I wait for the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats linguist!

I had a lot of fun with you in the Arkham Horror modchat.

How does it feel being the hero of game 1500?

Did you decide to retire from playing on a high?

Which of your current games in sign up are you most keen to get running?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:

Does that qualify as an internet-burn, or should I wait for the next one?

More of an internet 'smirk and rolling of eyes' than a burn.

To be honest, though, I've never watched HIMYM. My loss, I suppose. Shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
jamgar wrote:
Congrats linguist!

I had a lot of fun with you in the Arkham Horror modchat.

How does it feel being the hero of game 1500?

Did you decide to retire from playing on a high?

Which of your current games in sign up are you most keen to get running?

Thanks, jamgar. I tend to have fun in modchats because I don't take anything too seriously, I'm a smart-ass, I can be pretty verbose in small groups, and I actually enjoy being entertaining as opposed to "being funny". I'm also nearly omni-present (when I'm not at work).

1500 was a huge learning curve for me. I actually walked into "the" post expecting to find a reason to lynch Vox_Dargard, and I literally stumbled into the correct answer. It felt like someone had given me vivarin AND a red bull that evening, I was so worked up. LOL. Now it's a cool sort of thing - like, reading Chicken's comment in the OP made me laugh. And I can always get a kick out of reading the thread/deadchat from that time. But as someone pointed out in the Memories thread, the math was inevitable - the important thing was 'would we live long enough to use it'. If we hadn't killed Boardgame_Ben, HTTP, or FlashGordon when we did, that night wouldn't have even arrived, so there was a huge team effort. The game is a cool memory now, even though I turned into a bit of an ass there for a few days. Sadly, if I'm here for another five years, I don't know if I can swing another awesome bit like that, but I can try, right? Heh.

I didn't exactly retire from gaming. LaSJ invited me into his Foreshadowing game. I've been late to the draw three times now when Violin and dbmurph22 have asked for replacements (or fills). But I don't voluntarily sign up for standard WW on my own because I hate not knowing information and while the game might turn out well - I feel like I am get frustrated and I should be pulling my hair. Why go through that stress when I can just run the game?

That being said, find me a wacky ruleset that appeals to me, like Arkham, and I'll sign up for it quick-like.

Hrm. Was recently admonished (in a friendly way) for having so many games in signup, like I'm stealing opportunities from other folks. I mentally defend myself by spreading the big games out to no more than once a month, but do I have a favorite? Not really. Blade Runner looks cool, if complicated (I showed up too late for the first three). The Thing looks awesome, and if I can't get it to fill, than I can delete it and put my small version of the game (in the WW Game Development Queue thread) into signup. Assassin looks simple. No rules to worry about, just 'find the one evil', sort of "Werewolf-Lite". And I'd like to get TAG running, just so I can confirm that I know how to mod a physics game.

I guess I'm most hyped about Massacre 2 and the Universal Mashup, because both games have the potential for wacky new rules that people don't normally play with. New roles/rules can be awesome, right? You can't tell me that people hated the Mummy role in Massacre 1 - it was all they talked about for a while. And that's just one role. Mummy, Zombie, Frankenstein ... and a lot more. P11s are fun, but they're sort of vanilla, ya know?

But any of them would be fun to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answers.

Fwiw, I'd be signing up for your games, but I won't be able to play much over summer. Don't give up on them though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh.. YOU. humpf.

But seriously, well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Valkerie32 wrote:
Ohh.. YOU. humpf.

*looks around nervously*

Me what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Linguist! This honor is a bit overdue for you.

What is your favorite werewolf role? What role would you be happiest to get in a game? If Wil Wheaton was playing Werewolf with you, would you believe it if he told you that the reason he was losing was because his grandmother died? If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Katy Perry or Megan Fox? Elmo or Big Bird? Optimus Prime or Wolverine? Pepsi or Coke? Hot or cold? Would you rather go back in time and live or go into the future to live? What if you could only visit for a short time, which one would you pick then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Grats Ling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lingsanity! Thanks for modding all of those "newbie" games.

So, what is it about WW that appeals to you?
Do you have experience playing F2F?
What is it about modding games that you like?
What's your favorite counterclaim battle?
Favorite ethnic food?
Most interesting "unclassified" thing you've experienced in your career?
Did you learn Arabic at the Monterrey language training place?
How did you find BGG WW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:
Ohh.. YOU. humpf.

*looks around nervously*

Me what?

I believe she was referencing this post:
linguist wrote:
Valk's an ancient wolf.
Sandle's next.
Sparky.

Lynch in that order and we can win.

... shit. Did I just figure out the game?

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Why "linguistfromhell"?

And did you live through all the seasons of Smallville?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
nadgamgee wrote:
Congrats!

Why "linguistfromhell"?

I know the story behind his name but I will let him tell it. laugh

Congratulations, Ron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violintides wrote:
nadgamgee wrote:
Congrats!

Why "linguistfromhell"?

I know the story behind his name but I will let him tell it. laugh

Congratulations, Ron.

The story has already been told in the first post of the thread. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
tcrudisi wrote:
Congratulations Linguist! This honor is a bit overdue for you.

What is your favorite werewolf role? What role would you be happiest to get in a game? If Wil Wheaton was playing Werewolf with you, would you believe it if he told you that the reason he was losing was because his grandmother died? If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Katy Perry or Megan Fox? Elmo or Big Bird? Optimus Prime or Wolverine? Pepsi or Coke? Hot or cold? Would you rather go back in time and live or go into the future to live? What if you could only visit for a short time, which one would you pick then?

You're odd, my friend.

Let's see. My favorite role in WW. Does it have to be one that I've played? Then Seer, probably. Brutal Werewolf, maybe.

Role I want? Moderator? Assuming normal rules, I'd probably be less stressed with Vanillager than anything else. I mean, having an ability is cool, but there's a lot more stress there, and I have not exactly shown that I know what I'm doing yet. Like, as the vigilante in 1500, I was aiming most everywhere. Not good. :/ So, I need to get better, but I should start with vanilla so I can figure out how to better read people before I start worrying about how to act on that information.

But if you let me pick any role, then some of the ones in my Monster Mash are cooler. Mummy? Zombie? Heh. Coolness. (Yeah, I'm biased. So?)

I might believe that Wheaton's grandmother died, but if he doesn't care enough to stop playing because of it, I'm not going to care either.

Flash-level super-speed, like from the 1980's DC comics. That would probably be my first choice for super power. Assuming you don't mean something more galactic, like Silver Surfer or Beyonder. (Yes, I'm a geek.)

Katy Perry or Megan Fox ..? Really? How about Amy Adams? Rachel McAdams? Christina Hendricks? Adrianne Palicki? ... there's a whole host of folks I'd put in front of those two, but if I had to pick, Perry, I guess.

Too old for Elmo, and so I must choose Big Bird.

A giant robot or an nearly-immortal garbage disposal with an attitude? Eh. Prime, I guess, but primarily because I don't like most Marvel comics.

Coke. In a landslide. But only if I can't get Coke Zero.

Cold. You can always get warmer. You can't always get cooler. Trust me. I know of what I speak.

Would prefer to live / visit the future. Visiting the past would only be useful if I was doing something that would enable me to find treasure or something worth revealing. There are certain eras that would be neat to see in the past, but if you give me all of the past or the future to choose from, I'll go to the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
ohgrande wrote:
Lingsanity! Thanks for modding all of those "newbie" games.

So, what is it about WW that appeals to you?
Do you have experience playing F2F?
What is it about modding games that you like?
What's your favorite counterclaim battle?
Favorite ethnic food?
Most interesting "unclassified" thing you've experienced in your career?
Did you learn Arabic at the Monterrey language training place?
How did you find BGG WW?

Well, I've been running RPGs since 1980-ish. WW, from a point of view, is a very easy-to-run RPG with a short gamespan and an easily replayable motif. So that's part of it. It's also very social, which is something that I'm lacking. I don't hang out or talk with many people away from work. Army rules. Meh. So, this is a good forum to hang out with people who have similar attitudes and interests.

I have never played F2F. Or mod'ded. In fact, Hello #1 was my first game of WW ever. And Raid was kind enough to give me the seer role. Yeeesh.

I enjoy modding because it lets me see everything. You think the wolves or the sorcerer starts out with a lotta information? That's nothing. LOL. There's no stress of trying to figure out who's lying or obfuscating, and you can watch the story as it plays out without trying to figure out how it should play out. Much better than tv. Better, although not always much better, than books. Plus, it's a skillset that I'm very good at - so it comes naturally. Add in that I enjoy teaching, and so I'm a natural pick for helping new folks get started. Don't think that I'm claiming to be a great doorway to the WW world, but I enjoy sharing information and it's second-nature to me to help people get up to speed.

My favorite counterclaim battle? That's easy, as I've only ever had one. My first game, the brutal WW hard-claims seer when up for lynch on D1. As I'm waffling through D2 and trying to point out why people shouldn't believe him, the sorcerer hard-claims seer, thanks the brutal for covering for him, then calls me a wolf. I had to fight the entire day to convince the village to lynch the brutal instead of me, but I got the votes from 6-2 against me to 6-3 against the werewolf. ... Sadly, he brutal'd me anyway. Meanie. But that one takes the cake for me.

Favorite ethnic food? Depends on the day. Gyros are good. Donor kababs are good. Orange Chicken is good.

Hrm. I missed being hit by a mortar by about 90 seconds one day. I don't mean "missed shrapnel", I mean, missed getting HIT. Would have made for a bad day. Let's see. I was handed a land mine by an Iraqi. That was entertaining. Had mortar shrapnel shoot past my window, maybe 18 inches from my head. Had to pull a lieutenant back from leaning over the unexploded mortar in order to get a good grid coordinate for it (the moron ... sigh). Stood on a 14-story balcony and watched the sun come up over Baghdad once. That was cool. Outside of a deployment? Well, I was asked to narrate part of a ceremony honoring medal of honor winners that took place at the Ronald Reagan National Library in 2008. That was pretty awesome, reading the script and looking out over an audience of 40-some medal of honor winners, governors, actors, and a whole hell of a lot of folks (and was even told I did well). Hrm. Other things that I may or may not have put in the 2 truths / 1 lie block. ... LOL. And other things. Listing all of the cool stuff I've done would double the length of this reply. Heh.

The Defense Language Institute is the primary language-learning center for the United States Government. It's not the only one, but it's where most of us go. I've been there three times. Once for basic arabic, once for intermediate, and once as cadre. It was the best assignment I've ever had.

And I'm here because I was bored and looking for a game one day. I posted in the Miller's Hollow thread that WW looked like an easy game to run online, and I would be willing to host a game if anyone was interested. goo took pity on me and gave me a link to this forum, and I've been here every day since.
Thanks, Goo!

And you're quite welcome for my modding the intro games. Modding is my favorite part of WW, and I'd do it more if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
TheSparky wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:
Ohh.. YOU. humpf.

*looks around nervously*

Me what?

I believe she was referencing this post:
linguist wrote:
Valk's an ancient wolf.
Sandle's next.
Sparky.

Lynch in that order and we can win.

... shit. Did I just figure out the game?

Just a thought.

... maaaybe ...
... but you never know. I might have done something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
nadgamgee wrote:
Congrats!

Why "linguistfromhell"?

LOL. As OG pointed out, the basic reason behind 'linguistfromhell' is in the OP

I was an Arabic linguist, deployed to Kuwait in 99. It was so ridiculously hot that I remember one day, drinking 3 liters of water in 20 minutes ... and then NOT going to the bathroom. 140 in the shade - and it could have been hotter, except the thermometer stopped at 140. If that's not hell, I don't want to know what's closer ...
... so, I was a "linguist from (in) hell".

And I have only seen the first 8 seasons of Smallville. I watch whole collections at a time, and Smallville is down on the roster right now. Just finished B5. Currently wading through Heroes. I think BSG is next, but Smallville will be up shortly after - unless the last season of House comes out before then. Then it'll be House and then Smallville. Soon, though. Hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.