BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: so I've researched the games now on to the geeks: 10+ questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1: how long have you been a boardgamer?
2: do you like casual, AT, euro or hybrid games? (please list your favorite game for the applicable type)
3: what is your favorite mechanic?
4: what is your favorite theme?
5: what is your favorite style of game: solo, competative, team competative, co-op, traitor, all vs 1, semi co-op (all can lose but only 1 can win)?
6: what is more important: theme-integration, components/art, rulebook, gameplay.
7: pet peeve with other gamers?
8: what is your biggest pet peeve with games?
9: purchase that you have been most dissapointed with?
10: game that doesn't get to the table as much as you would like?

Please answer these question as posted by the person above you and then rewrite them for the person below. 11 should be a choice between several games that share a theme/mechanic/subgenre. 12 may be anything you want to ask.
11: which is better and why: descent OR Super dungeon explore?
12: what is most overrated game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. ~40 years.
2. Euro. Eclipse is on top right now.
3. Worker placement.
4. Distopian future.
5. Competative.
6. Gameplay.
7. Excessive AP and/or not planning between turns.
8. Ambiguous rulebooks and/or incomplete rules.
9. Three way tie: Rex, Stonehenge, Ascending Empires.
10. Dominant Species.
11. Um...What?
12. a. Twilight Struggle.
12. b. Am I supposed to answer that or write a new question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
gamer667788 wrote:

~12 years

Quote:
2: do you like casual, AT, euro or hybrid games? (please list your favorite game for the applicable type)

I play 18xx. They are not casual, AT, euro or hybrid games. Listing a favourite is difficult. The game that most interests me and which I most want to play currently is 1817.

Quote:

Temporary emergent alliances as driven by fractional shared incentives.

Quote:

I don't care much about themes.

Quote:
5: what is your favorite style of game: solo, competative, team competative, co-op, traitor, all vs 1, semi co-op (all can lose but only 1 can win)?

I only play competitive games.

Quote:
6: what is more important: theme-integration, components/art, rulebook, gameplay.

Gameplay by several large countries, then rules, then somewhere among the trifles comes theme, components, and art.

Quote:

Unwillingness to invest the effort required to improve.

Quote:

Over-emphasis on emotional effects rather than gameplay.

Quote:

Nothing notable -- see Sturgeon's Law.

Quote:

Quote:
11 (answer the one above than pick new games that share a theme/mechanic): descent OR Super dungeon explore?

I don't understand the question.

Quote:
12 (answer above and than write a completely new question): what is most overrated game?

?! Not sure there's an answer, but I consider Bohnanza to be the pinnacle of Uwe Rosenberg output. Its been all downhill since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Gamer for close to 30 years now. RPG's have been on top for most of that time, until about 3-4 years ago, when Boardgames started to take the lead.

2: Euro games tend to get played the most, but I really enjoy light war games and some AT as well.

3: Auctions.

4: Merchants in the Age of Discovery! Ah ok, just kidding. Don't really care as long as the gmae is good, it can be about anyhting really.

5: Competitive.

6: Gameplay x 1000.

7: Analysis paralyis. Don't take so $##@% long, it's only a game. I would rather play and lose 2 games than play and win one game.

Also - asking me to play a new game and then not knowing the rules.

8: All chrome and no game. Seriously, its like a movie with a $200m budget and a horrible script.

9: Chaos in the Old World (and i bought it used!).

10: Caylus.

11: As a 30+ year RPG GM, I do not play dungeon exploring games. Any time my gamers want that, I give them the real thing.

12: Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I edited the questions I hope that it makes sense now sorry I wasn't clear. Thannks for your responses.

I am curious as to what you found lacking with ascending empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
gamer667788 wrote:

Please answer these question as posted by the person above you and then rewrite them for the person below. 11 should be a choice between several games that share a theme/mechanic/subgenre. 12 may be anything you want to ask.
11: which is better and why: descent OR Super dungeon explore?
12: what is most overrated game?

1. I've been gaiming over thirty years.
2. I think you'd label me a wargamer in general.
3. Rolling dice.
4. I like Civilization building games and evolution games in particular.
5. Competitive all the way.
6. Gameplay is really the only important thing. I don't give a tinker's cuss for the components as long as the game is good, and the ruleset doesn't bother me too much either, unless it is a badly written Euro game.
7. I don't worry too much about the other gamers, except I prefer if they are at least semi-careful with my games.
8. The increasing simplification of games, and shortening of play times.
9. I research games very carefully so am not often disappointed. Maybe 20th Century.
10. Most of them: when you have 600 great games, many don't get played much.
11. Descent too simple, so probably the other one. I'll take Magic Realm if its ok with you.
12. Lots of them: Dominion comes to mind, as does Eclipse.

For a question:

11. American Megafauna or Bios: Megafauna?
12. Why would you choose plastic over cardboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:

1. I've been gaming over thirty years.
2. I think you'd label me a wargamer in general.
3. Rolling dice.
4. I like Civilization building games and evolution games in particular.
5. Competitive all the way.
6. Gameplay is really the only important thing. I don't give a tinker's cuss for the components as long as the game is good, and the ruleset doesn't bother me too much either, unless it is a badly written Euro game.
7. I don't worry too much about the other gamers, except I prefer if they are at least semi-careful with my games.
8. The increasing simplification of games, and shortening of play times.
9. I research games very carefully so am not often disappointed. Maybe 20th Century.
10. Most of them: when you have 600 great games, many don't get played much.
11. Descent too simple, so probably the other one. I'll take Magic Realm if its ok with you.
12. Lots of them: Dominion comes to mind, as does Eclipse.

For a question:

11. American Megafauna or Bios: Megafauna?
12. Why would you choose plastic over cardboard?

1: how long have you been a boardgamer? since Summer 2010
2: do you like casual, AT, euro or hybrid games? (please list your favorite game for the applicable type) Euro is the only one in which I can enjoy games that are okay/good but not great. I enjoy what I would consider great AT, Casual, and Hybrid games as well but am not as patient with those genres. My favorites: Dominion, Power Grid, and The New Era
3: what is your favorite mechanic? Deck Building (only seen this done really well in Dominion but see a lot of potential) or Auction. They both can easily help make a playing field more even if the designer wants to use them that way and I value that a lot in a game.
4: what is your favorite theme? Post Apocalyptic (that is in movies, TV shows, books, and games)
5: what is your favorite style of game: solo, competitive, team competitive, co-op, traitor, all vs 1, semi co-op (all can lose but only 1 can win)? Competitive by far.
6: what is more important: theme-integration, components/art, rulebook, gameplay? In order: Gameplay (must be very good to deserve any attention at all), componants (must be attractive or at least not boring/ugly), rulebook (this is also key but someone else who knows the rules well or a player aid can make the difference), Theme (can add a ton but is not necessary for a game to be great)
7: pet peeve with other gamers? Excessive impatience with other players who struggle with PA or who learn rules slowly and people who are excessively AP prone or who take crazy long to learn rules (but have the ability to learn more quickly). I think balance is key here. There will be AP and impatience but they should both be managed.
8: what is your biggest pet peeve with games? Lack of helpful player aides that are published with the game. Most games need them and most don't come with any, come with one when one for each player is needed, or they are too confusing to be useful.
9: purchase that you have been most disappointed with? Castle Ravenloft
10: game that doesn't get to the table as much as you would like? Power Grid
11: which is better and why: descent OR Super dungeon explore? Not sure. Based purely on reviews and which I want to play most: Descent.
12: what is the most overrated game? Agricola or RFtG (I have only played each once and plan to play them both more but doubt I will ever agree with there uber high rank). I think I am likely to enjoy Agricola but expect I will only hate RFtG more over time.

Edit, correct 11/12 answers:
11. American Megafauna or Bios: Megafauna? I have no stinkin' clue.
12. Why would you choose plastic over cardboard? I don't have a preference if both are equal quality but might choose plastic (I am assuming you mean in regards to game componants) because they seem to last a bit better.

Questions:
11. Which designer is better for you: Martin Wallace or Stephan Feld? which game should I try of your favorite designer between the 2?
12. Is there anyone in your life who you wished was a gamer and is not? If yes who?

As an aside, Dominion cannot be rated high enough IMO...

Happy Gaming,
Redward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I've been a gamer all my life, but not a lot of boardgaming until November/December of last year.

2) Right now I'm trying to learn more Euro's, Lords of Waterdeep has to take a lot of the credit for me moving to those types of games.

3)Resource Management/Worker placement

4)Theme is what you make of it and can be adapted to anything you want

5)Love co-op but most of my gaming is of the competitive variety since most everyone else wants to be the winner.

6)Without gameplay, there is no reason to play a game.

7)Favoritism at the table.

8)My biggest pet peeve of the moment is poorly written/translated instruction manuals

9)Quarriors! But to be fair, I have only played it 2-player, probably has more conflict with more players and that would probably improve it.

10)Most all of my games, we are kind of in a rut of Lords of Waterdeep, Super Dungeon Explore and A Game of Thrones, which isn't bad, I just would rather switch it up more often.

11) I really like Super Dungeon Explore and that is what I would recommend, but to be fair, I've never played Descent.

12) I hate the term overrated, for every person that says that Twilight Struggle or Smallworld are overrated, there are a legion of others that disagree, all games have merit for the most part, just takes different folks to appreciate them.

Edit:

11)Feld would probably be the one I would most favor, I haven't played a title by either of them that I know of but Castles of Burgundy is a game that is on our shortlist to pick up sometime this summer.

12)My brothers would be the ones I would love to game with more, but they don't really get/want to try gaming, I'm subversively working on them though.

My questions:

What game have you labored the most over purchasing before pulling the trigger?

I show up at your house, the only thing you know about my gaming habits is from this list and the Geek in general, what game would you suggest we play from your collection and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: I've been a boardgamer for about a year.

2: I enjoy thematic games like Battlestar Galactica, but also smaller hybrid games like Innovation or Settlers of Catan.

3: My favorite mechanic is Trading. I think more games should get players selling, bartering, begging, at each other.

4: My favorite theme is science fiction, especially involving colonizing planets or fighting with space ships.

5: I enjoy co-operative games, especially when there is a trader element. Battlestar Galactica is one of my favorite games.

6: Theme-integration is very important. The mechanics have to make sense, based on my knowledge of the theme.

7: Ummm... my pet peeve with gamers are those who throw the game for everyone if they feel they can't win.

8: My pet peeve of games is when they do not have enough counters or other components to play. Some don't include any.

9: The purchases I have been most disappointed with are Terra Prime and Zombies!!

10: I would love to play more Innovation, Ares Project, and Evo.

11: The game I have labored the most over purchasing before pulling the trigger is Seafarers of Catan. As of six months later, it is still unplayed.

12: Judging by your answers, I would say that you might enjoy trying out Carson City - a thematic euro-like game of worker placement and tile placement, where the meeples can rob banks and shoot each other in duels. Oh, and Citadels-style role selection, too.

My questions:
11) Rush n' Crush or Road Kill Rally?

12) If you could get a re-theme of any one of your games, which game would you pick and what theme would you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

On and off for 23 years

Quote:

Twilight Imperium...nuff said.

Quote:

Negotiation

Quote:

Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Quote:

Coop

Quote:

Theme/Components/Gameplay

Quote:

Not willing to put in the time to play more advanced games.

Quote:

A wood cube is not THEME!!!!

Quote:

Carcassone... what a pice of shit.

Quote:

Runewars

Quote:
11 (answer the one above than pick new games that share a theme/mechanic): descent OR Super dungeon explore?

What?

Quote:
12 (answer above and than write a completely new question): what is most overrated game?

Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:

About 5 years.

Quote:

Everything but Ameritrash.

Euro - Puerto Rico, but that's based on longevity.
Hybrid - Dominant Species
Casual - Dominion
Wargame - Diplomacy (he he)

Quote:

Commodity Speculation, Route Network Building, Worker Placement.

Quote:

I rather like City Building and Trains.

Quote:

I generally prefer straight competitive games.

Quote:

In order - Gameplay, Theme Integration, Components, Rulebook.

Quote:

Stupidity.

Quote:

Excessive set up times.

Quote:

Ra. I just can't get into it.

Quote:

Dominant Species

Quote:
11) Rush n' Crush or Road Kill Rally?

Not my area of expertise, but based on the slightly better rating and much higher production value, I'm going with Rush n' Crush.

Quote:
12) If you could get a re-theme of any one of your games, which game would you pick and what theme would you like?

Commands and Colors: Ancients. I'd retheme it to the Peloponnesian war instead of the Punic Wars.

MY QUESTIONS:

11: Age of Steam or 18XX

12: Have you ever wagered sexual favours on the result of a boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Loft
Kuwait
flag msg tools
1. Around 30 years
2. I am really open to anything decent, my collection is a mix of all types of games (except for party games, don't like these!)
3. Modular Board / Area Movement
4. High Fantasy, Lovecraftian Horror, Greek Myth
5. Traitor
6. Components/art
7. Anyone quitting before the game is finished, I hate that.
8. Lack of good inserts!!
9. Maybe City of Thieves?
10. Descent and Earth Reborn

11. Descent is better than Super Dungeon Explore because I hate the chibi-anime art (I don't even need to see if the game plays better, the theme is a big turn off for me).
12. Most overrated game is Dominion

My version of question #11 for the person below me:

11: Which is better and why: Claustrophobia or Space Hulk?

11: Age of Steam or 18XX
No idea, never played any or watched reviews or was ever even remotely interested in them.

Nope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
1: how long have you been a boardgamer? 30something years.

2: do you like casual, AT, euro or hybrid games? (please list your favorite game for the applicable type) I like AT and some euros

3: what is your favorite mechanic? hidden player location

4: what is your favorite theme? sci-fi

5: what is your favorite style of game: solo, competative, team competative, co-op, traitor, all vs 1, semi co-op (all can lose but only 1 can win)? all vs 1 and co-op, traitor is fun too though.

6: what is more important: theme-integration, components/art, rulebook, gameplay. gameplay

7: pet peeve with other gamers? not reading rules.

8: what is your biggest pet peeve with games? crappy rules

9: purchase that you have been most dissapointed with? mayday crokinole board.

space hulk, closely followed by battletech.

11: Which is better and why: Claustrophobia or Space Hulk? never played claustrophobia, so that probably means it's space hulk for the win...

12: Have you ever wagered sexual favours on the result of a boardgame? Yes.

question 11 for the person below me.

11:which game is better or more interesting to you, Crokinole or PitchCar?

question 12 for the person below me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
I started seriously boardgaming around January of 2011.

I prefer Euro, but I've been getting into Wargaming lately. Favorite Euro - Caylus. Favorite Wargame - No Retreat: The Russian Front.

Area Control and bidding

Historical

I prefer competitive and team competitive.

Solid gameplay followed by a fantastic rulebook. Artwork/components are far behind that as long as they don't render the game unplayable.

AP, not paying attention to rules, not paying attention to the board when it's not their turn, expecting to win the first game and either kingmaking or reverse kingmaking.

Unreferenceable rulebooks and tiny rules that just add complexity for no reason.

Small World hands down.

Dominant Species and Tigris and Euphrates.

11. Crokinole.
12. Yes...yes I have.

11 for below me: Caylus or Agricola?
12 for below me: You ever think Bugs Bunny was attractive when he was dressed up as the female bunny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
still an 'infant', walking into 3 years experience

I consider myself as an Avid gamer. I can join the party groups or even hardcore groups, but mostly I tend to like Euro games. Caylus would be my favorite

Worker Placement, secret role and backstabbing

Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Must say competitive

In order: Game Play, Component Quality, Arts.

Grumpy players, not paying attention to the rules and not taking the game seriously.

Bad rulebook that let you play your first game in downward spiral of questions.

Airships

War of The Ring and Chaos in The Old World.

11: Definitely Caylus
12: Nonsense...I try not to answer that question, nor imagine it.

For below me:
11: What mechanics that you don't like
12: Resistance or Shadow Hunters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

11: As a 30+ year RPG GM, I do not play dungeon exploring games. Any time my gamers want that, I give them the real thing.

You explore a real dungeon? Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Bruna
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I've been a boardgamer all my life (age 56) but only discovered modern board games about 2-3 years ago

2. Euros, probably my favourite euro is Stone Age (I will play games from other categories though). Unlike most BGGers, I prefer games on the lighter side.

3. Favourite mechanic is probably worker placement (least favourite is deck building).

4.Favourite style is competitive although I will play other styles

5.All are very important, although games with poorly written rules are the biggest turn off. I really like games that well integrate theme with gameplay.

6. I like a lot of different themes - historic, science fiction, fantasy, pirates, Lovecraft, zombies although some themes don't have a good track record for making good games (ie. zombies). Initially I bought games for theme (and didn't always pick good games or picked games that were too long/too difficult for my gaming partners.) I still like games with interesting themes but it is a secondary level criteria for choosing games now.

7. I don't generally worry about other gamers and haven't had any issues with the people with whom I've played games.

8. Biggest pet peeve is poorly written rulebooks.

9. Probably it was Lord of The Rings card game which I purchased on the basis of the theme. I don't understand the rules and over time, I discovered that deck building is my least favourite mechanic.

10. Most of my games! My husband is a shift worker so my opportunity to play with him (my most frequent gaming partner) is limited as we are often on opposing schedules.

11. & 12. ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Casually since childhood, seriously for about 8 years.
2: I don't discriminate: Casual (Jungle Speed), AT (Heroscape), Euro (Puerto Rico) or Hybrid (Twilight Struggle).
3: Role Selection or Card-Driven.
4: Fantasy
5: Competitive
6: Gameplay followed closely by theme-integration
7: Analysis Paralysis.
8: Illogical catch-up mechanics, confusing/illogical symbology
9: Merchants & Marauders
10: AT-43

And since the previous few posts got a bit mixed on #11 and #12, I'll pick up where vardamir left off (switching his 11 and 12 to the proper order in the process!).

ANSWERS:
11: Resistance is better because it's more accessible to non-gamers yet a ton of fun; if I'm with gamer friends, I'd rather play something meatier than Shadow Hunters, or use Resistance as a light filler.
12: Mechanics I don't like? Definitely player elimination. Terrible mechanic. There are exceptions, but they're incredibly rare. (Note that Shadow Hunters is not an exception... it suffers for the player elimination mechanic, however thematic.)

QUESTIONS:

11: Agricola or Le Havre?
12: You are asked to play a game of ________ against US President Barack Obama. What boardgame do you play and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Utrera
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
1: how long have you been a board gamer?

Non-Gamer: Since I was a child. Gamer: Half a year.

Euro: Castles of Burgundy

Drafting

Cthulhu Mythos (I'm a sucker for dark themes)

Competitive (especially boardgames with a "take that" feeling, even if it's small)

Gameplay. Although I love the the thoughtful implementation of a theme, the gameplay is what makes me fully enjoy the game.

Gamers that constantly have to let everyone else know they're winning.

Can't say right now. I've only played around 50 or less boardgames (that will be changed in the future, of course).

Panic Station.

Nightfall.

Answers:
11: Agricola since I haven't tried the latter.
12: Campaign Manager 2008. I would want to see if he wins the states that he actually won. I know, cheesy. LOL

Questions:
11: Forbidden Island or Panic Station? Why?
12: If there was an earthquake, would you reach over to save a board game and run for your life? Which board game would you save (if you chose to save one)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: how long have you been a board gamer?
A geek gamer, only since August 2011. But I grew up playing family/party games/chess. I didn't play my first out of mainstream game til 2009 (Arkham Horror), but I was a bit overwhelmed. I replayed it last August with a number of other games (The Resistance, Elder Sign, etc.) and then I got hooked.

Mostly AT, though I enjoy euros and hybrid. My favorites from each are Arkham Horror (AT), Agricola (e), and Yggdrasil (h)

I'm not sure... I like trying to balance what actions I can take each turn and try to plan ahead in games like Agricola and Yggdrasil, but I'm not sure what that's called. I don't know if that's really a mechanic or just strategizing...

Not sure what the theme would be called, but I really like games like Arkham Horror and Tannhauser... games that take place in the recent past, but with weird Horror/sci-fi stuff thrown in.

Co-op

Theme, but components/art are very important to me, they go hand in hand. Arkham is a better game than Tannhauser, in my opinion, because while both games are gorgeous, Arkham implements the theme more effectively.

Ones who don't pay attention to the rules in a demo and then constantly interrupt the game to ask questions about the rules that were clearly explained earlier.

Long set-up, difficult to understand rules. The set-up I can usually work around by how I organize the game, but the rules... oy. I usually watch tutorials online for some games to try to make sense out of the rules. (The biggest downside to loving AT)

9: purchase that you have been most disappointed with?
Forbidden Island, sure its cheap but I have no desire to play it again. And also Tannhauser, I like the game, but it only got more interesting after getting all of the expansions and it was pretty expensive after awhile. I want to like the game more than I do... I think if the story modes had more story... like some type of Mythos card or event deck, it would make the game even better. I do like the game, it just doesn't quite feel as awesome as the amount of money I put into it though. Especially compared to Arkham Horror, I probably spent almost the same amount on it with all of the expansions and I feel like it has way more replayability.

Mansions of Madness. Its best with at least 3 players and I usually play by myself or with my partner, so we don't play it often.

Answers:
11. Panic Station, I've played both and Panic Station is just waaay more exciting and tense. Forbidden Island is too simple...
12. Probably Arkham, but I'd want to save all my expansions too, so there is no way I'd be able to carry them out. If it was just 1 box, then Yggdrasil, its small/light and a really really fun game.

Questions:
11: What is your ideal playing time for a game?
12: What franchise that isn't currently a board game, would you like to see as a board game (like Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
12: What franchise that isn't currently a board game, would you like to see as a board game (like Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, etc.)?

Damn this one really itch my fingers to answer it.
Well, screw it... ninja
I would love to see a board game or even card game based on Mass Effect story, Baldur's Gate, and Dragon Age. I would also like to see if there's a game based in the movie Inception (that would be cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
Just over a year.

Thematic Euros and hybrids

Worker placement and auction/bidding

Pirates and civilization

I prefer competitive, team competitive, traitor, all vs 1

Theme integration hands down, though solid gameplay is a big plus.

AP, making stupid noises and cackeling when you got a good draw, play, etc. (thinking of one buddy in particular who always says "well that's cute" in the most annoying way possible)

True multiplayer solitaire

Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Sid Meier's Civ and Descent

11. 2 hours for a euro, up to 4 for an adventure
12. Hard question...fuck it, Entourage!

11 for below me: Sid Meier's Civ or Through the Ages?
12 for below me: What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
1: all my life
2: all but mainly Euro (Kyklades)
3: deckbuilding
4: fantasy
5: competative > (semi) coop
6: gameplay but it helps a lot if I like the look
7: taking gamint too serious
8: bad rule books
9: Battles of Westeros (Why is the quality of the fugures so low?)
10: most of my games
11: Civ
12: A European or an African swallow?

New questions:
11: What is you favorite deckbuilding game?
12: How often do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 4 years, before I was D&D and MtG player
2. I play for fun and social aspect of it. Best immersive game: Arkham Horror, best loud game: Cosmic Encounter
3. talking
4. intuitively implemented
5. loud
6. fun
7. some of them are not gaming for fun
8. when #4 does not happen and it's not an abstract. Also counter-intuitive scoring a.k.a. "put VPs on a spread sheet"
9. Le Havre. I trusted BGG recommendation thread.
10. Chaos in the Old World (needs 4 gamers)
11. I avoid the genre like plague
12. 1 x weekly (club)1 x weekly (with GF or friends)

new questions:
11. More important: great game or great gaming group? (no you don't get both)
12. What's the simplest game you enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Played them all my life, but really got into the world in 2008
2. I enjoy playing all types of games - please don't make me choose!
3. Auction and worker placement.
4. Space/sci-fi is my favourite, but I will play all themes.
5. Don't have a favourite style of game. I suppose it depends on my mood at the time.
6. Gameplay, rulebook, components/art, theme-integration
7. I suppose my only pet peeve with gamers would be AP. Some thinking is fine and encouraged, but don't spend 20 minutes on 1 move. I mean, it's not like there's money riding on this, right?
8. Poorly written rulebooks.
9. I've been happy with all my purchases and I would keep all my games, but if they aren't going to get played then I need to trade them away.
10. 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856. I've had it for about 2 years and have only played the short game once.

11. Great gaming group.
12. The simplest game I enjoy would be Coloretto

New Questions:

11. What is your favourite worker placement game?
12. What person in the industry (designer, publisher, etc.) would you like to spend the day with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.