Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi guys, this is technically requesting feedback for a game I'm designing and I'll definitely post something there as well, but I wanted to post it here as it directly has to do with knowledge that comes from running a gaming store.

I'm working on a game called, "Gaming Store: The Game!" In this game you rent a location, stock products, and draw in customers. What I'm looking for from you are common gaming store customer stereotypes.

These could be anything from the guy who everyone thinks works there becuase he's there 8 hours a day, to the girl who comes in mostly for attention, to the genuinely cool customer who loves comics and games.

I need to fill a deck with about 60 customer stereotypes: good, bad and indifferent. So if you can spare the time then anything you have to suggest is awesome and I can't wait to hear it. After all, I figure no one will know more about customer stereotypes than gaming store owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Bradley
United States
Bethany
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "the lurker" - the guy who is always skulking around in the back, but never talks to anyone. we have one of those at the game store near me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L.O. Brow
Finland
flag msg tools
Perhaps "The creep"?

An early 40s caucasian man with a stubble and thin, long and greasy blonde hair that hasn't seen a comb in years, wearing large 70s style eyeglasses and clothing that's meant for someone in their 20s or so. Carries a plastic bag with "something" in it. Slightly hunched over, especially when examining whatever he's interested in.

...which would be female manga figurines. Or Pokemon-esque plushies, your choice. Or if your Game Store doesn't sell those, imported manga with female characters on the cover will do too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koenig
United States
Weston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The "flipper" - going there to solely look for OOP games they can buy and resell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, unfortunately, then I do KNOW of instances with 'thieves' involved, and not ONLY 'customers'-(shoplifters) either, as some 'very bad employees' did just such as well. You could have an "uncover the Pilferer" feature, akin with that Cylon aspect?
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about :

The SlobStinker - other players sleeve their games because of him.
(usually a CCG player...we are talking about stereotypes right ? )

The Wargamer - His games are never in stock. Not that he would find someone else to play with him anyway...

The Warhammer Player - He buys 1000$ worth of minis a month. That he does not paint, barely plays and sells for half price years later.

The RPG player - He REALLY wants to tell you about that time his lvl20 Paladin....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The 17 year old kid who wears the 1950's hat because he thinks it is cool.

(wait...that was me...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Well Meaning grandmother : Will buy Monopoly because she heard her grandson likes boardgames.

The TimeShifter : Asks if it is possible to special order that OOP game he liked to play 20 years ago.

The Request Freak : Will inquire about an unreleased game. That he knows is unreleased - he spends 15 hours a day on BGG. Will ask if the store clerks have more information on release date. That he knows not to be the case because again, he spends 15 hours a day on BGG. Will probably not buy the game.

The Proselyte : Just bought his 29th copy of WereWolf because everytime he introduces a group to the game, he gives it away to that one guy who seems interested. Those copies have probably been unplayed since.

The Fanboy : "I don't care how bad reviews for this game are, this is "insert brand here" I MUST have it".

The O.C (Obsessive Completist) : Buys Arkham Horror and all expansions in one shot. Will probably never find a group to play the game beyond the base set.

The Brainwashed Miniatures Player : "Come on man, FineCast is way better than metal, they had a right to increase prices for such a quality difference" "My GW exacto blades cut way better than other brands"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Snob: His games and only his games are good. Will talk down any other game to any customer, unsolicited, as if it had the decision depth of tic-tac-toe.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're freakishly over-developed for a 17 year old.

That is a direct rip-off from an old Fantasy Football team name, circa 1992.... called "The Freakishly Underdeveloped Geeks". I always loved that name.

UndeadViking wrote:
The 17 year old kid who wears the 1950's hat because he thinks it is cool.

(wait...that was me...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the nanny, who confuses your store with a day-care center.

The collector who will buy entire sets but only entire sets of game systems.

The gabber. He can't buy games due to varying excuses, but armed with his encyclopedic knowledge of all things cardboard and an eternal tounge, acts as a stronger sales force than that leased sign pole out front to anyone (un)lucky enough to be caught in his friendly grasp.

The loser. This poor soul craves victory without possessing the mental faculties to regularly achieve it, and thus, is always searching for the next big thing and never plays the same game twice.

The phone fiddler. 'nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Captain Sweatpants. The guy who wears sweatpants and a t-shirt everywhere he goes because he's too lazy to put on regular clothes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
The Soccer Mom - Looking for that hard-to-find Pokemon card, called Exodia. Should be in the Magic cards. What's that about? Then has to run off halfway before you can explain the difference. Or figure out what it is she was looking for.

The Bad Sport - Man in his 40's who is known to throw dice when he loses. Which is often.

Richie Rich - Child of divorced parents who has more than your salary to spend on games. Gets into the hotness, then practically gives it away for the new new hotness next week.

The Game Critic - Every game is broken and solveable, or broken and no fun. But he's there all the time just the same.

Sadly, from experience.

See also Dork Tower and http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fencer -- repeatedly stares at and reads about a game but can't make himself purchase it until more research is done.
The Asker - constantly asks about upcoming release dates for games he can't find

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Out of Touch/Naive CheapSkate : Will listen to the store clerk and be really enthusiastic about that new dungeon game that reminds him of the old HeroQuest days... that is until he realizes how expensive boardgames have become nowadays and notices the price tag on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Suitcase with his huge CCG collection he takes everywhere with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
overtheboard wrote:

I'm pretty much gonna just have to figure out how to get together enough money to pay this guy to do all the art for my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
HauRuck wrote:

I've got a game I've been working on for years that almost fits that exact description (Though thats a bit like saying one is making a sci-fi game with spaceships, colonies, and combat!).

There are no 100% original ideas left. I actually started designing this game late last year when I was having another one of those moments that all gamers have where I sit there and think, "I should open a gaming store!" Then I do all the research, work up the numbers, realize how much work it's going to be and how little the payoff is compared to my current career as a software developer and decide not to do anything until about six months or a year later when I start thinking, "I should open a gaming store!" Apparently I'm some what like a goldfish in that one thing.

This time around I figured that most gamers who want to run a gaming store, really just want to play games so why not make a game about running a gaming store.

HauRuck wrote:

I would say its a tough theme to sell (The BGG game certainly didn't help), I considered retheming mine but too much revolved around the theme. Are you going cheeky style (The name sort of implies that)? I suppose that might work. Mine was more medium-weight euro-style.

I don't know how you could make this game and not go for the vast amount of humor that is present in geek culture and gaming stores. This game is going to be parody and tongue in cheek and maybe even a little dark here and there. The products will all be parodies of top gaming store products, the locations while perhaps not direct parodies will be seen through the eyes of a gamer/geek, and the customers... well the customers have been the most fun so far.

There are so many sub cultures in geek and gamer culture that you have a nearly endless supply of references you can use for your customers and anyone who has spent any time in a gaming store knows these guys, like really knows these guys. They're probably going to end up playing the game with these guys.

The core mechanic that I have for the game is good. It's fun and strategic and enjoyable but I believe that the theme and humor of the game is going to be what draws most people in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
The online-shopper: he just comes in to look at a game in person and then tells everyone in the store about the great on-line store he's going to buy it from for 1/2 price as he sets up to play at the free demo tables.

Oh, and welcome to the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathleen Feduke
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a stereotype - I hope - but a character you should have in your game none the less:

"Do you know what a furry is? I'm a preying mantis furry!" - said in an anime accent by a freaky Ichabod-Crane-looking early 20ish guy who is rubbing his hands together while telling me about it. (It was the first time he spoke at me.)

Repulsive Old Guy: overweight disgusting 40-50 year old guy that will discuss his supposed love life against the wishes of all in earshot. Corners every female and talks at them while leering down their shirts. (I've told this one he is banned from ever stepping foot in my store again if he ever talks to another female customer.)

Open to Anything: the awesome customer who will play anything anytime. He/she knows the rules to lots of games and will demo games to new players at the drop of a hat.

The Early Riser: I'm bored! There's no one here to play with. Dude - it's 10am, we just opened and it's a work/school day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathleen Feduke
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Mr. Suitcase with his huge CCG collection he takes everywhere with him.

Mr. Suitcase's Cousin - the Protoss Carrier - carries his huge CCG collection, every RPG book he owns, and has 4-6 friends he picks up on his way here. Upon arriving at the store they deploy with the friends/minions unloading about 300 lbs of books and cards into the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
GameVaultVirginia wrote:
Mr. Suitcase's Cousin - the Protoss Carrier - carries his huge CCG collection, every RPG book he owns, and has 4-6 friends he picks up on his way here. Upon arriving at the store they deploy with the friends/minions unloading about 300 lbs of books and cards into the store.

We have a variant of that guy called the alpha nerd. He doesn't necessarily carry all his games with him, but he does have a lot of games and knows and has gamed with at least 50 people who are all ready to jump on board whatever weekly game he's running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
vidbot wrote:
How about Captain Sweatpants. The guy who wears sweatpants and a t-shirt everywhere he goes because he's too lazy to put on regular clothes.

But those are my regular clothes. Except in the summer when I wear shorts.

Staying on topic, I used to know The Munchkin. The miniatures gamer that would take a mile in fudging measurements and LOS, but not let you get away with anything.

Edit: Also the Clueless Video Gamer - the guy who comes in assuming you sell video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The F.O.G.ey (Friend of Gary) - Old-school D&D 1e player who constantly rattles off all the long OOP RPGs he used to play back in the day. Thinning gray hair tied in a ponytail, faint smell of patchouli, has a Grateful Dead T-shirt for every day of the week, and still insists on driving a VW-anything. Always telling stories about campaigns from 35 years ago. Refers to his tattered, githyanki-cover copy of Fiend Folio as "the new stuff."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why limit The Store to just games? Perhaps turn the shop into games + other geeky stuff, this might broaden the appeal?

Has anyone one come across a member of The Great Unwashed... you never want to be cornered by one of those...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.