Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi guys! I'm working on a game called, "Gaming Store: The Game!" In this game you rent a location, stock products, and draw in customers. What I'm looking for from you are common gaming store customer stereotypes.

These could be anything from the guy who everyone thinks works there becuase he's there 8 hours a day, to the girl who comes in mostly for attention, to the genuinely cool customer who loves comics and games.

I need to fill a deck with about 60 customer stereotypes: good, bad and indifferent. So if you can spare the time then anything you have to suggest is awesome and I can't wait to hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Parents who use the store as a babysitting service on weekends, dropping the kids off early in the morning and picking the children up five minutes before the store closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Collector- the guy who buys everything, but never opens anything
The Know-It-All- He knows the answer to every question, even if no one asked him
The Miniatures Gamer- If it doesn't have little metal soldiers, it isn't a "real game"
The Card Gamer- knows every combo, and every card price
The Comics Guy- if it comes in four colors, he'll buy it

That's a few off the top of my head, hope it helps

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stern but warm-hearted alien/human hybrid who visits comic book stores to re-acclimate himself with humanity and remember the life he left behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The smelly gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
The Know-It-All- He knows the answer to every question, even if no one asked him
The Card Gamer- knows every combo, and every card price

The Cliff Clavins, who think they know everything, but don't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who doesn't get self-referential parody and declares such things beneath him.

(( Cautionary note, this particular subject may hit very close to home with some of the target audience... just saying to be careful... ))

----

The Poison Pill - the person no-one wants to play with for what ever reason, but they figured out where the game store is and they want to play.
The Significant Other - not here by desire, but willing to play as long as they're here
The Mutterer - everything is always going wrong and against him
The "Out Loud Strategy" Guy - it's never a mystery what this guy is thinking or what his move will be, ever.
The iPad Owner - this game is only ONE thing that the iPad Owner is playing... He's checking email and playing Angry Birds too
The One Trick Pony - "Nah, I'd rather play this one game I brought, you know, the same one I brought last week and the week before that!"
The Analyzer - You always know whose turn it is if you have to ask
The Rules Explainer - The guy who knows all the rules inside and out and can explain them well.
The Bad Rules Explainer - The guy who THINKS he knows all the rules and can't ever explain anything clearly.
The Designer - Want to play my prototype? It's better than last week, I swear!
Those Magic Guys - the two guys in the corner who only ever play Magic... against each other... ever...
The Stacker - "Who owns these games taking up these perfectly good table space?" "Those are mine, please don't move them." "But we need the table." "Yes, but I'm playing Railroad Tycoon and put my stack there first."
The 18xxers - 4 hours, one game.
The Grunter - Expresses their game thoughts with unintelligible grunts.
The Sigher - Expresses their game thoughts with sighs and other unintelligable noises.
The Self Laugher - every joke they tell is funny... to them and no-one else
The Schemer - 85% into the game attempts a grande move that is actually illegal because they weren't listening to the rules. They've been building up the entire game to this illegal move and now declare the game broken.
The Speedster - playingthegameasfastaspossibleistheonlywaytoplayandhurryupyouneedtogosoIcangetmoregamesintoday!!!
Johnny come lately - The player who shows up just after you've set up for a specific number of players and says "Oh, this takes another player, I'm in!" which will necessitate resetting the entire setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
The lost parent - wants to buy a cool game for his kids but has no idea what they'll like
The kid - Always the youngest. Realizes that there's a place where he won't be kicked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionalist: walks in, sees the hundreds of games on the shelf, then asks for Monopoly.

Clueless: walks in and starts describing a game he/she had as a kid where you bought and sold property based on colors.

Wheeler/Dealer: walks in with a game of Stratego from what looks like 30 years ago, claims it is "rare," and offers to sell it to the store owner for $250.

Garage Sale inquiry: Walks in with a dozen games including Scrabble ("its missing a few pieces"), Yahtzee ("needs more pads, but the pencils are in there) and Candyland ("there are some Kool-aid stains on the board") and wants to know what they are worth for when she sells them at a garage sale this weekend.

Magic player: insert joke here, but I didn't see him on the list yet.

Pokemon player: same as above, but subtract 15 years.

Wargamer: walks in, surveys your selection of wargames, precedes to tell you about the "good old days" where games "didn't have any of this plastic stuff" and then sits down to tell you in needless detail the difference between Russian and German artillery used in 1943.

"Oh That Look's Cute" girl: walks into the game store with her brother, sees something (Killer Rabbit, perhaps?) and says the catch phrase that made her famous.

"Hey Grandpa, look" boy: walks in dragging his grandparents along and wants to buy the most expensive game in the store, all the while mumbling about how it is the greatest. Look at the grandparent's eyes to see what pain is really all about.

Cheapskate: Walks in, sees that _____ costs ____, starts to talk about EBay's prices, tells a useless story about _____, and walks out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Spain
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The girl - the one girl in the whole group who comes to play games and not pick up men.

(That's me - I'm a girl gamer married to a non-gamer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who insists on telling you all about his RPG character.

The Edition Warrior - "These new versions of the game are just a cash grab. I bought the first edition 25 years ago, and it's not been improved upon, yet!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
The guy who insists on telling you all about his RPG character.

Oh, but I have only one thumb to give.

Combine this with "The Clerk" and... whoo boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Browser - His fingerprints are on every item in the store, has read the back of every box and book. Never buys anything.

The Reader - Like the Browser, but reads every RPG supplement in the store.

Expectant Gamer - Ordered something yesterday, he'll drop in to ask if it has arrived yet 1-10 times a day.

"Do You Have..." guy - Spends an hour in the store browsing, then finally asks if a certain game is in stock - maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

The Designer - Want to play my prototype? It's better than last week, I swear!

Aww man... that one's hitting close to home...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Box Man: He got a job in the store because his friend owns it, but if you ask about anything not related to the X-Box you will just get a blank stare.

Wingman: He goes into the store but only to hang out with one of his friends who works there (X-Box man) and they sit down in a corner to play some 1st-person shooter game on the X-Box.

Too Late: after a limited print game has been sitting on the shelf of a store for several years (probably priced due to its actual rarity), it is sold only to have this guy walk in the day later "ready to buy it" and upon discovering it is sold spend the next 30 minutes complaining about how his life is over.

Evil Demo Guy: this guy is willing to demo some of the games you have available for just this purpose but in the process manages to either: (1) convince everyone playing that there is a better game then this, (2) puts everything back later by dumping it all in the box, or (3) teaches is completely wrong so that the players are constantly saying how the game is too hard.

Mr. Munchies: walks into the store holding a large Mt. Dew (in a fast food cup, not a bottle with secure cap) and a greasy bag of food. He is early for the Magic tournament and wants to know where he can eat his dinner before the match. You have about 10 seconds to answer or else he will wander around the store, eating and touching stuff and leavnig a trail of grease in his wake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be-Back Jack: After finding a game he wants, he realizes he doesn't have the quid for it ("payday is tomorrow," "left my credit card at home," etc.) and asks you to put the game behind the counter for him to pick up tomorrow. You may not see Jack for months, if ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Sweatpants Big Bang Theory has it right, enough said.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Overweight fat dude, wearing sweatpants with a shirt that doesn't cover his stomach and when he sits, his crack is exposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Heyl
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I just wanted to thank you guys so much between you, a few other sources and my own work I have over 130 customer archetypes to look at and prune down to the best 60.

Thanks for all your help and I'll continue to monitor here in case any other ideas trickle in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Thompson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
"Do You Have..." guy - Spends an hour in the store browsing, then finally asks if a certain game is in stock - maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Heh, that's me. If only they would ask if I was looking for something... When I buy I usually buy like 10-15 things at a time. I have been known to drop 500 bucks or more at a time on games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have the "friends" of the game store employee? Nothing worse than going into your local game store only to find that the clerks friends are there hanging out and are cooler than anyone else in the store so you become invisible.

I guess that might also bring up the "invisible" gamer, the guy who is a hardcore gamer but doesn't "look" like they know what Settlers is so no one talks to them as they look like an outsider.

I might add that one time the "friends" at my local store were in full furry get up....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
do you have the "friends" of the game store employee? Nothing worse than going into your local game store only to find that the clerks friends are there hanging out and are cooler than anyone else in the store so you become invisible.

I included a "Friends" person in one of my posts ("Wingman"), as he/she usually hangs out with the Store Worker playing X-box instead of, you know, trying to sell games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:

For what it is worth, I confess that I am like this sometimes. I hate pushy salespeople, so whenever I go into a store where I may find them (specifically guitar stores, model train stores, boardgame stores, and book stores... your experiences may vary) I already have something ready to request if they ask me what I am looking for. AND, that something is an item that is guaranteed to NOT be in stock in their store. They either run off to check for it and come back disappointed, or immediately tell me it isn't there. If they offer to order it I tell them I need it soon. Then, I am free to roam the store at my leisure... sometimes purchasing things I find that look interesting.

My wife is easily intimidated by pushy salespeople at the mall, but after I told her this trick she is a lot better at dealing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Neumann
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I didn't see this mentioned, but we have a kid who comes who's maybe 12 or 13...and his mom comes and stays on her computer most of the time, occasionally offering a comment to anyone nearby. It's a weird situation. You could design card pairings dealing with that type of concept (the spouse someone mentioned, maybe someone who's from out of town trying to find a game store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The kid with sticky fingers who pulls everythng off the shelves.

The obsessive straightener who follows him around making everything as tidy as possible (and rearranging the games in alphabetic, chronological or genealogical order as appropriate).

The costumed role player who keeps scaring the other customers.

The Professor who keeps opening boxes and solving puzzles.

The flustered parent who just wants to find a copy of Monopoly: The Simpsons Edition and get out of there.

The amateur game designer who hassles the store person about his new games.

A professional game designer in disguise, checking out the sales of his games.

The completist collector.

The nostalgic gentleman looking for a game that has been out of print for the last twenty years.

The clueless grandma buying presents for her grandchildren.

Just to break with stereotypes: the sly grandma who challenges people to a quick game of Puerto Rico.

The passing stranger who wandered in off the street, hoping to find a good computer game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. J. Thompson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The Aging Jock: He's come in looking for sports cards (whether the store sells them or not), and proceeds to bully the CCG players -and the staff- to assert his 'dominance' and show that his type of card collecting is 'manly' (I've actually seen this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.