Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a real match for my question.

I'm preparing to sell some games and will likely go with eBay as I've done many times in the past. The front page of BGG has an eBay section listing some auctions. How are those listings chosen from the many on eBay? Is there a procedure to follow to get my future eBay listings on the BGG front page?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You go to the game page for each listing

For pages ebay section add your imtem id
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
You go to the game page for each listing

For pages ebay section add your imtem id

Those will get them on the Ebay listing for that game's page. I think that those that make the front page of BGG are those that have the most views, like the hot photos. So there's no way for you to place it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, Ebay will charge you 9% minimum, both on your item and on your shipping. BGG here is 3% on item only, plus you will be supporting BGG.

yosemite wrote:
Hi, All! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a real match for my question.

I'm preparing to sell some games and will likely go with eBay as I've done many times in the past. The front page of BGG has an eBay section listing some auctions. How are those listings chosen from the many on eBay? Is there a procedure to follow to get my future eBay listings on the BGG front page?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell on BGG... Give us a shot first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the "sell on BGG" statement.

I've found it to be relatively easy, and it's cheap too. Plus it helps out BGG, instead of stuffing more money into Ebay's pockets.

Good luck either way, but definitely consider selling here - if you need help setting up a list or promoting it let me know, I'd be more than happy to help out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was only me, but I didn't find it easy to start selling here. Part of it was the whole experience was new to me. Took me a bit to understand how everything worked.

If this is the reason the OP wants to sell on Ebay, just ask for help, I'm sure myself (though I just started selling) and others can help get things started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all hit it! I've become quite familiar with how things roll on eBay over the years, but have never sold a thing here on BGG. shake

What do you all recommend? Go with a BGG auction? Or simply offer items for sale? I have a few that are out of print items, so it's hard to gauge what a fair sale price would be. In at least those cases, I'd lean toward a BGG auction...

If anyone would care to shoot me some links, etc. to get me started, I would really appreciate it! I'm sure you're right...BGG WOULD be the way to go! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan -

We're here to help! (And buy your games ninja)

First - go to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/new

That's where you'll create a header with your rules for the auction. Check out some auctions at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/24/boardgamegeek/geekbay to get some ideas of rules you might want to use. Most of us shamelessly steal rules from others. MAKE SURE you state that all transaction go through BGG marketplace and that BGG gets 3% Keep the boss-people happy!

There are some options you'll want to check:

Subscribe to your geeklist so you know when someone comments.
DON'T MAKE YOUR LIST PRIVATE!
Don't allow public additions, but do allow public comments
Check the box for Selling/Trading so people subscribed for such things get notified that you're selling!

The next step is adding items. This is the longest part, but I've found it helps if you have a template set up in Word or Notepad with the basic info that you can copy and paste. Most buyers will want to know the condition, the Minimum Bid, the Buy-it-Now price (if any), shipping cost (if not fixed, or if different than your fixed amount), and any other special info (does it come with custom tuck boxes? Plano cases? Etc.)

Once you've made your list announce it at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/24/boardgamegeek/geekbay

Use the geeklist number in the URL of your list to link directly to the auction.

You can also use MetaList for GeekList AUCTIONS to get some exposure (be sure to read the rules) and also Geeklist Auction Subscription Thread.

After the auction you'll use the BGG marketplace to set up the sales. When you get there let me know and I can help you with that, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dave's got most of it covered. The main roadblock is you have to read a lot but once you get over each part, it gets easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dave...you are The Man!!!!!!! (AND an Ohio State fan! NICE!) Thanks so much for all the info. It's a bit much to take in right now, but it IS something I'd like to pursue.

Will do some homework (probably after this week and weekend...the family's coming in) and get back to all of you with questions. I'm pretty certain I'll have some!

I DO love the BGG community! Thanks for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
The Dave...you are The Man!!!!!!! (AND an Ohio State fan! NICE!) Thanks so much for all the info. It's a bit much to take in right now, but it IS something I'd like to pursue.

Will do some homework (probably after this week and weekend...the family's coming in) and get back to all of you with questions. I'm pretty certain I'll have some!

I DO love the BGG community! Thanks for all the help!

No problem Dan - anything for a fellow Buckeye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDave,

Thanks for the info in this thread! I am also looking to set up an auction and the info was most helpful.

However, I would also be interested in how you set up the Marketplace sell after the auction. Could you describe that process? That is the last gap in my knowledge of the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketplace Seller's Guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link, but I have read that guide already.

Here is my question.

Assuming I have finished conducting my auction via a geeklist, do I then create a marketplace entry for each item, contact the buyers via geekmail that they are now created, and tell them to buy them through the marketplace entries?

I just want to make sure I am getting the etiquette right so the buyers get the experience they are expecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, it is typically set up in the marketplace with a note "for buyer XYZ auction win" or something similar, and then you'd email the link to that item to the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsant wrote:
yeah, it is typically set up in the marketplace with a note "for buyer XYZ auction win" or something similar, and then you'd email the link to that item to the winner.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.