Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decktet is really cool.

Woosch is a game that my daughter and I put together this afternoon. Here are the rules that we made up:

0.) Use extended Deckted (no Excuse). Deal 5 cards per player. Choose a start player. Play a round, draw a new card and rotate start player.

1.) Trick Taking: hands are won in the usual way. 2s are low, Crowns are high. Actually, Pawns & Courts are higher than Crowns, but you can't lead with a Pawn/Court and you must match all the suits on the lead card in order to take the trick with a Pawn/Court.

2.) Set Collection: with the tricks you win, rearrange the cards into sets of 3 - a Personality, a Location and an Event.

3.) Variable Card Powers: Aces are only played for their special power and then discarded.
- Sun: look at opponents' hands
- Moon: gain an extra card for the next two rounds (hold 6 in hand as opposed to the usual 5)
- Knot: win any trick
- Monster: steal any two cards from opponents that are not part of a complete set
- Wave: add +2 to a number card you play
- Leaf: opponents discard 1 random card

4.) At end of game, each player scores +1 point for each complete set and -0.5 points per remaining card.

We've had a lot of fun with this long weekend with the Decktet. So much variety with such a simple (sic) deck of cards!!! Genius. Will continue to play and refine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about requiring that each card in a set must match a suit with at least one of the other cards? Or just giving a bonus of +2 if you can manage to do that. Might make for a little more dynamic set collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks nifty.

Some clarificatory questions...

Is it for two players, or more?

h00sha wrote:
Trick Taking: hands are won in the usual way.

Do other players have to follow the lead?

Quote:
Actually, Pawns & Courts are higher than Crowns, but you can't lead with a Pawn/Court and you must match all the suits on the lead card in order to take the trick with a Pawn/Court.

Hmm... what if you have to lead and you only have Pawns and Courts?

Quote:
Aces are only played for their special power and then discarded.

So I guess they aren't played as parts of tricks, but instead as a kind of interrupt. But you still draw back to five between tricks. Right?

Quote:
We've had a lot of fun with this long weekend with the Decktet. So much variety with such a simple (sic) deck of cards!!! Genius. Will continue to play and refine.

Very cool. I'm glad you're having fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
This looks nifty.

Some clarificatory questions...

Is it for two players, or more?

h00sha wrote:
Trick Taking: hands are won in the usual way.

Do other players have to follow the lead?

Quote:
Actually, Pawns & Courts are higher than Crowns, but you can't lead with a Pawn/Court and you must match all the suits on the lead card in order to take the trick with a Pawn/Court.

Hmm... what if you have to lead and you only have Pawns and Courts?

Quote:
Aces are only played for their special power and then discarded.

So I guess they aren't played as parts of tricks, but instead as a kind of interrupt. But you still draw back to five between tricks. Right?

Quote:

Very cool. I'm glad you're having fun with it.

We played with just two, though I'm sure that 3 would be as good. If I ever try with 4 I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, other players have to follow lead. If unable to then they have to forfeit a card of same type (personality/location/event).

We didn't come across the problem of having only pawns/courts in hand but that was half the fun of designing our game - making up the rules as we went along!! And there is still room to grow. After enjoying a few rounds of Jacynth the evening before with my wife and daughter(with lots of laughter) I wanted to show my daughter That the real power of the decktet lies in it's ability to spark creativity and Woosch fit the bill nicely!

Yes, aces are interrupts. In fact, they cancel the current trick and players take their cards back in hand. The player who laid down the ace draws back to five (or 6 in the case of the moon). The powers were almost Mnemonic in a way. We wanted powers that could easily be remembered by the suit. Example: leaf = a card "falling" out of other players hand. Or wave = increased momentum. Etc.

Thanks for the awesomeness, Pmagnus.

kvenosdel wrote:
Have you thought about requiring that each card in a set must match a suit with at least one of the other cards? Or just giving a bonus of +2 if you can manage to do that. Might make for a little more dynamic set collection.
Yes, thought about this but couldn't think of an easy way to implement. I really like the bonus points for matching suit in a story (set). Thanks for the suggestion!!!! Will try this next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.