tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Since it's Lore I think Asfaloth is a good bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:

I mean in terms of the mechanics of it... something like a combination of an ally and an attachment would be my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Free resources for Spirit! shake

Exactly, it makes it painfully easy to Zigil yourself into a boring and obvious combo. The Stargazer is not even unique. They could have at least made her ability cost something like resources or threat increase. This is such a no brainer...soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
theduke850 wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:

I mean in terms of the mechanics of it... something like a combination of an ally and an attachment would be my guess.

I think this is awesome, we were just discussing this over at FFG's forums.

I believe it's an attachment since they said Lore is NOT getting an ally but is getting this new mount.

Stargazer's beautiful! I could have taken her with 3 cost though to balance out her power. I hear what Shelfwear is saying but it's still a two card combo and just because you get a lot of resources doesn't automatically win you the game, you need some other elements in play as well. Just look at the winner boards for Juicebox's living tournaments. I don't see very many people saying Zigil Miner won them the game or got them a good score.

I'm also more excited about using her with Taking Initiative as they mentioned in the preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
theduke850 wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Yes, I think so. What will the abilities be for Lore? Another card draw ability? (If they ever make a mount for Tactics that allows me to attack the staging area I'm all in.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelfwear wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Exactly, it makes it painfully easy to Zigil yourself into a boring and obvious combo. The Stargazer is not even unique. They could have at least made her ability cost something like resources or threat increase. This is such a no brainer...soblue

Boo hiss. At least the Stargazer isn't good for anything else other than deck searching or an attack soak (unlike the Zigil Miner which is a solid ally even without the power). I love the statement "Imladris Stargazer is the one that's most likely to spur development of a wealth of new strategies". I think the opposite. I tend to think it reinforces existing strategies and simplifies out some creative options for Zigil Miner use. My Keen Eyed Took will never get play again.

I've always tried to avoid Will of the West. I've considered Mustering the Rohirrim weak. But now cards like those, Rivendell Minstrell, and The Eagles Are Coming might be included just to force a reshuffle so that I can look at 5 new cards!

It would be a neat card if Zigil Miner didn't exist . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
She does make Taking Initiative stronger but still, it is another character, so with her you need to discard a card of the cost three at least (taken you use a two-hero line-up).

As for the Mount, I think it is not going to be a new type, just an attachment with a new trait, Mount. I am too hoping it is Asfaloth but guessing it is not.

Finally, the cards forcing reshufle might indeed be useful here. I play the Eagles are Coming! anyways but not in a Spirit deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the FFG forum suggested it might be Bill the Pony. I think that's a good guess, but it makes me wonder then if Sam could possibly be the new hero. And if so does it really make sense for him to be Lore? Maybe, but I would have thought Spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill the Pony could be a lore mount (attachment) that can only be attached to a Hobbit (and Dwarf?) character and Sam still be a spirit Hero (which would suit him better than Lore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think they shall beging the Mount series with Bill the Pony, as much as I like the "character." I am hoping Asfaloth but Shadowfax might have a better chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I don't see Shadowfax unless it's somehow related to Gandalf. (Asfaloth makes a lot of sense otoh.) Now if you could attach Shadowfax to Gandalf in order to keep him around for a little longer, or somehow use Shadowfax as a Sneak Attack for Lore, then maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
IIRC we already have two mounted heroes (if the artwork is anything to go by): Dunhere and Imrahil. Dunhere's ability suggests greater mobility which leads to him attacking the staging zone. I can't see anything in Imrahil's ability that suggests horse master to me.

The way they mention it in the preview it suggests to me that it is more than a simple attachment with a new keyword that can be targeted by other cards. Rather it suggests special rules to go with it. My guesses:
- only one mount per character (hopefully)
- mounts can't travel to underground locations (unless expressly stated)
- mounts can be sacrificed after an undefended attack if attached to a hero to protect their rider from harm
- mounts not usable by dwarves and hobbits (unless expressly stated)
- monts can not be targeted by card effects that target attachments (unless expressly stated)
- some mounts will have other special abilities

I doubt they will have stats like characters.
There will be cards that will turn other creatures (mainly eagles at this point) into mounts.
Just my two cents.
What do you think about these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate against myself for a minute...

If there is going to be tournament play one of the problems that will arise is the resource imbalance that will occur when one player gets Steward of Gondor and the others do not. Horn of Gondor helps Tactics in a smaller way, and perhaps this is meant to aid Spirit and reduce SoG's dominance in the resource arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:

If there is going to be tournament play one of the problems that will arise is the resource imbalance that will occur when one player gets Steward of Gondor and the others do not. Horn of Gondor helps Tactics in a smaller way, and perhaps this is meant to aid Spirit and reduce SoG's dominance in the resource arena.

I tend to think having strengths and weaknesses in the spheres makes the strategy more interesting. But ultimately this is skews the sphere balance to a more extreme degree. Spirit is one or two 2 attack allies away from being nearly self sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
compton9890 wrote:

I tend to think having strengths and weaknesses in the spheres makes the strategy more interesting. But ultimately this is skews the sphere balance to a more extreme degree. Spirit is one or two 2 attack allies away from being nearly self sufficient.

A good point. Spirit is still the strongest single sphere in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
I almost actually wish this mount wouldn't be Asfaloth, seeing as there would be little hope of getting yet another Lore version of Glorfindel, and it would be silly for him to not be able to play his own horse.

Hope foundation of stone will have a leadership hero, and then we finish off with spirit version of Glorfindel with shadow and flame, it just feels right to have Glorfindel as a hero when we are fighting a Balrog, and I would be happy to see Asfaloth as spirit mount on that adventure pack: Spirit Glorfindel fighting Balrog with Asfaloth, and Asfaloth's ability should be connected with travel or questing which is domain of Spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.