Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Michael
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
Few questions here that will still fit in with my subject:

1. Are you allowed to place in the Mating Hut/Tool Shed/Farm House even if you are maxed out with those resources (10 meeples, 10 fields, 12 tools)?

2. Can you decide to NOT gain either a field, a meeple, or tool when collecting from those same worker areas?

3. Similarly, can you decide to not roll dice when collecting from any of the resource areas (food, wood, brick, stone, gold)?

In other words, can you waste meeples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
john1134 wrote:

1. Are you allowed to place in the Mating Hut/Tool Shed/Farm House even if you are maxed out with those resources (10 meeples, 10 fields, 12 tools)?

2. Can you decide to NOT gain either a field, a meeple, or tool when collecting from those same worker areas?

3. Similarly, can you decide to not roll dice when collecting from any of the resource areas (food, wood, brick, stone, gold)?

I think yes, you are allowed to use meeples for blocking. Buying the card or hut is certainly optional.

Remember that unused resources are worth points at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
john1134 wrote:

All these are yes, but it would be idiotic to do #2 or #3. There's no drawback in taking the things you've rightfully earned, even if your primary intent was solely to block.

Not taking the extra meeple earned is the only one that could theoretically be beneficial, since it generates food costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Simon. I am pretty sure that in Stone Age actually performing the action is not mandatory.

That being said, there is no logical reason NOT to do resource gathering or farming/toolmaking if you are not yet maxed out.

An argument could possibly be made whether your food situation could make it more advantageous to NOT expand your tribe, but I think in most cases you would better off doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the great feedback! In answer to my question, "Yes, you can waste meeples!" I found it interesting your response to question #1 that it is theoretically beneficial to not take an extra worker for food shortage reasons. Here is another bonus question based on that point -

In a digital version of the game, would you prefer to have an extra worker added to your stash automatically, or each time need manually choose between taking your extra worker or passing on the opportunity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
john1134 wrote:
In a digital version of the game, would you prefer to have an extra worker added to your stash automatically, or each time need manually choose between taking your extra worker or passing on the opportunity?

The digital version I tried on Board Game Arena allowed just that. For all actions in fact.

Or rather you have to explicitly activate your meeples in order to use their actions, IIRC. Any meeples left on the board when you pass your turn return to you without doing anything.

This allows full flexibility while at the same time making for simpler coding as all action spaces work the same in this regard. So I am all for it, although I did get burned in my first game when I accidentally passed my turn before using all my meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
gert74 wrote:
An argument could possibly be made whether your food situation could make it more advantageous to NOT expand your tribe, but I think in most cases you would better off doing it.

Yes, statisticly it will always be an advantage to expand if you have already places people there anyway. You could just have it go hunting - only on a "1" is it a losing situation (so potentially if you have just enough food and next round is the last, you might not want to get a new tribesmember).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
Yes, statisticly it will always be an advantage to expand if you have already places people there anyway. You could just have it go hunting - only on a "1" is it a losing situation (so potentially if you have just enough food and next round is the last, you might not want to get a new tribesmember).

Yes, in the long run I agree the extra meeple is always worth it.

I was thinking more of your momentary food situation for that round. In other words, whether that one extra meeple would cost you 10VP.

Even then, if it was early in the game I might still do it.

And to be honest, placing two meeples strictly as a blocking action without gaining any benefit from the space is probably not going to be worth it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I haven't played the game much actually, but in the Rio Grande rules only two situations are mentioned where you may choose not to "use" a placed meeple - and that is for civilization cards and buildings. So if you are not maxed out at 10 meeples already, I would say you have to take the new meeple, since the rules say "...the player takes 1 additional peoples figure...". There is nothing optional about that.

Of course they might have missed this specific situation when writing the rules, but unless that is confirmed by the designer or publisher, I would consider it like adding a house rule, if you allow players not to take the new meeple.

But then comes the next natural question. What if you have all 10 meeples already? And the same if you have all tools or fields? Since you don't have to tjeck, if you have room for any of the three things, when you place the meeples, I would say you are allowed to place them. First when you take them back again, you "discover" that you cannot get anything from your placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ from the original German publisher here.

Quote:
Q: Darf ein Spieler freiwillig auf eine Aktion verzichten, obwohl er Personen im entsprechenden Gebiet eingesetzt hat?
A: Ja, darf er.

Translation:

Quote:
Q: Is a player allowed to voluntarily give up an action even though he has meeples placed in the corresponding area?
A: Yes, he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
gert74 wrote:
FAQ from the original German publisher here.

Quote:
Q: Darf ein Spieler freiwillig auf eine Aktion verzichten, obwohl er Personen im entsprechenden Gebiet eingesetzt hat?
A: Ja, darf er.

Translation:

Quote:
Q: Is a player allowed to voluntarily give up an action even though he has meeples placed in the corresponding area?
A: Yes, he is.

Well, there is the definitive answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Right - my bad for not reading the FAQ too :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.